Band Aid 30

Comments

• calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor Bob... had nothing to do, not even a bath and thought up this (great idea) of some pals singing the same old song that made Bob into a sweary saint long ago... seems his halo needed a shine...Id have thought after his adoraton of the masses in the past he could find more of a vocabulary than Bollocks in and interview... total ignorance and attention seeking from a one hit wonder from the past.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sales are very definitely slowing down now:

Monday: 205.6k
    Tuesday: 46.8k (total: 252.4k)
    Wednesday: 20.1k (total: 272.5k)

It's still well clear in the midweeks chart though. 'Real Love' by Clean Bandit & Jess Glynne is at number 2 on sales of 57.8k.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While no fan of U2 or Bono, he did well to record after his accident. Also if I remember correctly, he didn't want to do that line in the song originally. Bob Geldof felt Bono had the strong type of voice that could carry such an emotional line at the time.
    He probably used better wording than that, but that's the jist.

Bono recorded the Band Aid 30 single the day before he had the accident.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While no fan of U2 or Bono, he did well to record after his accident. Also if I remember correctly, he didn't want to do that line in the song originally. Bob Geldof felt Bono had the strong type of voice that could carry such an emotional line at the time.
    He probably used better wording than that, but that's the jist.
    I remember the first few times I heard 'Do They Know It's Christmas?' I thought it was Freddie Mercury singing that line. I remember being surprised when I saw the video for the first time that the line was sung by Bono.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    What makes you think they haven't?

Would you like them to publicise it?

I'm guessing if they did, people would be queuing up to slag them off for being so patronising and self righteous.

Damned of they do, damned if they don't really.

Here's a question - if you were a musician, and Geldof had asked you to participate, what would you have done?

I would have said no, why haven't you done something months ago, you know when it first started, or are you so desperate for the Christmas number 1.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calamity wrote: »
    Poor Bob... had nothing to do, not even a bath and thought up this (great idea) of some pals singing the same old song that made Bob into a sweary saint long ago... seems his halo needed a shine...Id have thought after his adoraton of the masses in the past he could find more of a vocabulary than Bollocks in and interview... total ignorance and attention seeking from a one hit wonder from the past.

The Boomtown Rats had 9 top 20 singles and 4 top 20 albums in the UK. Not really a one-hit wonder?

The original idea of BandAid was Geldof's and it probably elevated the idea of the charity single not only as a means of raising money but also raising awareness of such issues. It sparked the idea of celebrity activism which has persisted since. The question for the naysayers is, what harm does it do?
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    . The question for the naysayers is, what harm does it do?

its the hypocrisy... rich people telling poor people to hand over money, in this case for a very substandard track.

when geldof is questioned about his tax affairs he goes off in a rage, like a petulant child who KNOWS hes got something to hide.
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calamity wrote: »

Not sure you can really call him a one hit wonder when The Boomtown Rats had 10 top 10 singles, and he had one himself in 1990!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its the hypocrisy... rich people telling poor people to hand over money, in this case for a very substandard track.

when geldof is questioned about his tax affairs he goes off in a rage, like a petulant child who KNOWS hes got something to hide.

You could probably say the same about Comic Relief, Children in Need, Sport Relief and all the celebrity fronted campaigns to deal with the troubles of the world.
    Does Terry Wogan get this sort of commentary?

Geldof at least gives you something to listen to.

I like the idea of Victorian Philanthropy (Cadbury, Rowntree etc) and the great and the good setting up charities and charitable trusts to improve the communities from which they made their wealth from. They believed in the idea of giving something back.
    Now post-Thatcher/Reagan and the rise of rampant individualism that kind of civic responsibility has been lost and replaced with the kind of cynicism exhibited here.

You're right. I mean the 100 richest people in the world could end world poverty 4 times over
    http://www.oxfam.org/en/pressroom/pressreleases/2013-01-19/annual-income-richest-100-people-enough-end-global-poverty-four
    Why haven't we just asked them?
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    I would have said no, why haven't you done something months ago, you know when it first started, or are you so desperate for the Christmas number 1.

OK, so if everyone gets on some sort of moral high horse and says no, then millions of pounds doesn't get raised that otherwise would have.

Great plan.

If he was so concerned about being Christmas number 1, it would have come out closer to Christmas.

Its simply makes sense that people will buy into it because its a known song.

It simple makes sense to release it at this time of year because it is a Christmas song.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can you explain the hypocrisy?
  • zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The french are doing there own version with the profits going to the same charity
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The latest midweeks are in and the single sold 12k yesterday. Sales so far this week, to last night are now 284.5k.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    You could probably say the same about Comic Relief, Children in Need, Sport Relief and all the celebrity fronted campaigns to deal with the troubles of the world.
    Does Terry Wogan get this sort of commentary?

i detest those begging programmes too, but at least they can make me laugh.
    Geldof at least gives you something to listen to.

no, he did once.... 30 years ago it was fantastic... now its utter shite!

You're right. I mean the 100 richest people in the world could end world poverty 4 times over
    http://www.oxfam.org/en/pressroom/pressreleases/2013-01-19/annual-income-richest-100-people-enough-end-global-poverty-four
    Why haven't we just asked them?

they are too busy expecting the little guy to do it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do the 100 richest people not give any money to charities then?

I must admit I didn't know that.
  • maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you explain the hypocrisy?

It's more a case of where to start:

For starters even though he has lived in the UK for over 30 years Sir Bob Geldof is classed as non domiciled for tax purposes with his UK homes are registered in offshore companies in the British Virgin Islands set up by millionaire venture capitalist Mark Florman (more of which a little later).

In addition his non-domicile status ensures he avoids paying tax on any overseas earnings; as well as his properties being exempt from stamp duty and inheritance tax.

Sir Bob Geldof is chairman of firm called 8 Miles seeking to make large profits for its rich clients (from the USA, the UAE; China & Russia) by investing in of all place, the continent of Africa named after the shortest distance between Southern Europe and North Africa. On his brochure he is quoted as saying "I want to leave behind me firms, farms, and factories" Incidentally his partner in the profit-making scheme is one Mark Florman, a former deputy treasurer of the Tory Party. And for good measure one of the Board of Directors is Tony Blair, former Labour Prime Minister of the UK.

Part of the 8 Miles umbrella is the Band Aid Trust which is responsible for distributing the income raised from sales related to the charity; in this case from the Band Aid 30 single which would not be so bad, except that Sir Bob Geldof takes an annual significant six figure amount from 8 Miles out of the charity. It is more than likely the Band Aid Trust will decide to split the funds raised from the single to the relevant fund agencies such as DEC; MSF; Red Cross; etc.

Little wonder Shadow Labour Minister Alan Johnson accurately compared buying this single to using one of those no-win no fees firms who advertise on TV and Radio for PPI's car whiplash injuries; etc; hence they will take a slice of the money; or at the very least will make a nice bit of income from the interest rather than giving it directly to the agencies on the grounds who matter to spend right away instead of six months time.

Hence, when Sir Bob Geldof appeared on X-Factor, and numerous other TV & Radio shows he has failed to mention the African internationally released single which has been available for over a month where all funds go direct to the internationally recognised Médecins Sans Frontières / Doctors without Borders (MSF).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruYQY6z3mV8

Nor did he mention the international appeal made by UNICEF in conjunction with the Disasters and Emergencies Committee (DEC) made September 16th; where the likes of Lenny Henry and Idris Elba have done voice overs for the UK based audience on TV & Cinema adverts.

Surely you can see the hypocrisy in harassing a nation to hand over vast sums to your own charity; when there are more reputable charities for the same cause available; when you are not paying the full amount especially when stashing assets in the same tax havens that foster corruption.

Former Labour Prime Minister Clement Attlee (the man responsible for the NHS; and much of the welfare state the UK has today) famously said "Charity is a cold grey loveless thing. If a rich man wants to help the poor, he should pay his taxes gladly, not dole out money at a whim".

Which rather contrasts with Sir Bob Geldof's "Tax IS theft. It's slavery. It's what's held civilization back since time immemorial. You're a thief for wanting my money for your goals. Taxation causes misery. It also enables bureaucrats to feed leech-like on the productive people".

And I can add a lot more about his history in bullying pop stars like he has done with Adele; and why he picked on her (clue it has a lot to do with her partner; and who he is friends with; as well as her ideology as a left of centre Labour supporter; in contrast to Sir Bob's rather privileged well off Irish background); and also the stereotyping patronising nature of the songs lyrics; and what Birhan Woldu, the famous child from Live Aid & Band Aid & Band Aid 20 singles now thinks of the cause and the harm it does to the image of Africa ..... but that is for another time and another debate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do the 100 richest people not give any money to charities then?

I must admit I didn't know that.

They give money to charity. It just so happens they have enough money between them to end poverty and it's associated problems and would still have money to live.
    They don't do that of course.

It simply says to me that we actually have the resources to help change the world but in effect we decide not to.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think given the extent of the horrors in which Ebola has claimed many lives, i think it is positive that someone is trying to do something to beat this disease. As many of you would have seen, some of the images of suffering and death is harrowing.
  • Fiddly_FeltzFiddly_Feltz Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I think given the extent of the horrors in which Ebola has claimed many lives, i think it is positive that someone is trying to do something to beat this disease. As many of you would have seen, some of the images of suffering and death is harrowing.

When ebola enters a First World country it is dealt with. This is another example of the backward continent that is Africa and its inability to look after itself.

Waste of time Bob!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When ebola enters a First World country it is dealt with. This is another example of the backward continent that is Africa and its inability to look after itself.

Waste of time Bob!

It's actually a complex of factors that has lead to underdevelopment in Africa, part of which is the a lasting impact of colonisation of Africa as part of European imperialism in the earlier centuries, the overburdensome indebtedness from at least the 1970s to the 2000s as well as internal political corruption in many nations.

As I said earlier though, African music has had such an impact on nearly all the music we listen too, including so much of modern American popular music. We should at least be grateful for that and help those from the culture that gave us that music.

There's also that thing called mutual solidarity in times of crisis. Are you advocating that we just let people die when we can do something about it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's more a case of where to start:

For starters even though he has lived in the UK for over 30 years Sir Bob Geldof is classed as non domiciled for tax purposes with his UK homes are registered in offshore companies in the British Virgin Islands set up by millionaire venture capitalist Mark Florman (more of which a little later).

In addition his non-domicile status ensures he avoids paying tax on any overseas earnings; as well as his properties being exempt from stamp duty and inheritance tax.

Sir Bob Geldof is chairman of firm called 8 Miles seeking to make large profits for its rich clients (from the USA, the UAE; China & Russia) by investing in of all place, the continent of Africa named after the shortest distance between Southern Europe and North Africa. On his brochure he is quoted as saying "I want to leave behind me firms, farms, and factories" Incidentally his partner in the profit-making scheme is one Mark Florman, a former deputy treasurer of the Tory Party. And for good measure one of the Board of Directors is Tony Blair, former Labour Prime Minister of the UK.

Part of the 8 Miles umbrella is the Band Aid Trust which is responsible for distributing the income raised from sales related to the charity; in this case from the Band Aid 30 single which would not be so bad, except that Sir Bob Geldof takes an annual significant six figure amount from 8 Miles out of the charity. It is more than likely the Band Aid Trust will decide to split the funds raised from the single to the relevant fund agencies such as DEC; MSF; Red Cross; etc.

Little wonder Shadow Labour Minister Alan Johnson accurately compared buying this single to using one of those no-win no fees firms who advertise on TV and Radio for PPI's car whiplash injuries; etc; hence they will take a slice of the money; or at the very least will make a nice bit of income from the interest rather than giving it directly to the agencies on the grounds who matter to spend right away instead of six months time.

Hence, when Sir Bob Geldof appeared on X-Factor, and numerous other TV & Radio shows he has failed to mention the African internationally released single which has been available for over a month where all funds go direct to the internationally recognised Médecins Sans Frontières / Doctors without Borders (MSF).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruYQY6z3mV8

Nor did he mention the international appeal made by UNICEF in conjunction with the Disasters and Emergencies Committee (DEC) made September 16th; where the likes of Lenny Henry and Idris Elba have done voice overs for the UK based audience on TV & Cinema adverts.

Surely you can see the hypocrisy in harassing a nation to hand over vast sums to your own charity; when there are more reputable charities for the same cause available; when you are not paying the full amount especially when stashing assets in the same tax havens that foster corruption.

Former Labour Prime Minister Clement Attlee (the man responsible for the NHS; and much of the welfare state the UK has today) famously said "Charity is a cold grey loveless thing. If a rich man wants to help the poor, he should pay his taxes gladly, not dole out money at a whim".

Which rather contrasts with Sir Bob Geldof's "Tax IS theft. It's slavery. It's what's held civilization back since time immemorial. You're a thief for wanting my money for your goals. Taxation causes misery. It also enables bureaucrats to feed leech-like on the productive people".

And I can add a lot more about his history in bullying pop stars like he has done with Adele; and why he picked on her (clue it has a lot to do with her partner; and who he is friends with; as well as her ideology as a left of centre Labour supporter; in contrast to Sir Bob's rather privileged well off Irish background); and also the stereotyping patronising nature of the songs lyrics; and what Birhan Woldu, the famous child from Live Aid & Band Aid & Band Aid 20 singles now thinks of the cause and the harm it does to the image of Africa ..... but that is for another time and another debate.

Just to make a few points in reply....

Whilst companies may indeed make profits from investments in Africa, is investment in Africa not a good thing for its future economic growth and development? Is it your view that foreign investment is detrimental to Africa?

You mention Geldof's salary.

How does that compare to salaries of high level management in the other charities you mention? Are you under the impression this is unusual, and that other major charities are run by volunteers?

I don't see how him not mentioning other efforts on the X Factor is relevant. He only had limited time, hardly enough to talk about other efforts. Do UNICEF, for example, mention the MSF record?

The bullying thing? I suspect the media has made a mountain out of a molehill.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »

They already are, this didn't start with Bob Geldof and it wouldn't end with him either, all Bob doing is a little...in fact Bob isn't really doing anything, apart from getting a few singers together & promoting a single (something he has done many times so knows the in's & out's)..the people who are doing something is the general public who are buying the song and making donations to the cause, those are the ones that should be praised, not Bob Geldof.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Waste of time Bob!

When Ebola enters a first world country , watch while all the big pharma companies rush ti find a vaccine . Lots of profit for them there .meanwhile it is on the slow burn . It's a bit like diabetes . Rumour has it they have a cure but they make too much money from diabetes drugs . Now if I was a cynical person I would believe all of this :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    They already are, this didn't start with Bob Geldof and it wouldn't end with him either, all Bob doing is a little...in fact Bob isn't really doing anything, apart from getting a few singers together & promoting a single (something he has done many times so knows the in's & out's)..the people who are doing something is the general public who are buying the song and making donations to the cause, those are the ones that should be praised, not Bob Geldof.

I really don't understand this mentality.

No-one is saying it starts and ends with Bob Geldof, any more than any other fundraising begins and ends with class 4C at the local primary school painting faces for Comic Relief.

When class 4C at the local primary school raise £100 from face painting for Comic Relief, are you all over internet forums talking about how they haven't really done anything apart from paint their faces? And the people donating the £100 are the people who should be getting the praise, not class 4C? I'm guessing not.

Geldof is no different to class 4C in this respect - its just higher profile, and will raise a lot more money. But the principle is exactly the same - he's getting off his arse to do something.

So when you say he hasn't done anything *apart* from getting a few singers together, and releasing a record that will raise a lot of money for a good cause, nothing apart from that, its a pretty hollow sentiment IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to make a few points in reply....

Whilst companies may indeed make profits from investments in Africa, is investment in Africa not a good thing for its future economic growth and development? Is it your view that foreign investment is detrimental to Africa?

You mention Geldof's salary.

How does that compare to salaries of high level management in the other charities you mention? Are you under the impression this is unusual, and that other major charities are run by volunteers?

I don't see how him not mentioning other efforts on the X Factor is relevant. He only had limited time, hardly enough to talk about other efforts. Do UNICEF, for example, mention the MSF record?

The bullying thing? I suspect the media has made a mountain out of a molehill.

To be fair the West African alternative song is catchy and educational.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/nov/20/african-musicians-band-aid-30-alternative-song-ebola

And you could argue that the Band Aid song might have been updated a little more.

As for the investment in Africa. I agree that this can be for profit, it has to be sustainable. And that's the great problem with emergency aid that it is not sustainable if it has no educational or business component. I mentioned the 100 richest people who could end poverty, any intervention would have to be sustainable in that case as well.

Channelling Band Aid Trust emergency money alongside a longer term investment strategy actually sounds about right. It gets away from the 'white saviour' thing.