Options

best and worst places in the UK

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets not beat about the bush London is pretty awful full of Clerical preachers and pick pockets

:D Lol. Too many Dickens films.

I have to say that where I live in London is not what you could call exciting. We used to have a pub called the Fornax and Firkin, which was quite a thing, but it has dully changed its name to The Star.
  • Options
    BrotherDanielBrotherDaniel Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shankly123 wrote: »
    Funny that - most people say Birmingham is shit, but if you're actually from there you say it's shoyte.:)

No you wouldn't.
  • Options
    Party AnimalParty Animal Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanClegg wrote: »
    In nearly eight years of living in London, I haven't come across either.
    well me and my wife had two mini weekends and came across them on both occasions
    the first time by a knife wielding foreigner
    and nothing will change my opinion of the place
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well me and my wife had two mini weekends and came across them on both occasions
    the first time by a knife wielding foreigner
    and nothing will change my opinion of the place

Crumbs worked in London for 20 years and never been mugged. What part of London did you venture into! was it the middle of the night.. Or maybe your just unlucky
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Obviously, the best place is wherever I am and reading this thread, the worst is where some of you are.

Do enjoy the rest of your day.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Best - Islay
    Worst - Bradford
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crumbs worked in London for 20 years and never been mugged. What part of London did you venture into! was it the middle of the night.. Or maybe your just unlucky

lived and worked in and around London my whole life (51 years) and never seen a radical preacher or been mugged or burgled or anything really.

Best, St Ives Cornwall

worst. Great Yarmouth
  • Options
    Party AnimalParty Animal Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What part of London did you venture into! was it the middle of the night..

Not the middle of the night as neither me or my wife stay up to the twilight hours
    had a run in with pick pockets outside Euston railway station and a major altercation with a gang of African pick pockets in Leicester square and quite unbelievably we caught them red handed stealing someones handbag 6 hours later one of them pulled a knife out and was threatening to cut my 9 yr old daughters throat he was screaming and ranting like a total Psycho
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Birmingham is the best as is my city and I wouldn't want to be from anywhere else.

A few more places deserve mentioning though:

Mumbles
    Llanelli
    Bath
    Torquay
    Bournemouth

http://www.roughguides.com/best-places/2015/top-10-cities/
    It seems Rough Guides agree with you BrotherDaniel.

Wales also gets a mention in best country to visit 2014. Quite right too.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    :DLol. Too many Dickens films.

I have to say that where I live in London is not what you could call exciting. We used to have a pub called the Fornax and Firkin, which was quite a thing, but it has dully changed its name to The Star.

:D Indeed.

Its always snowy at Christmas (just the right cinematic amount though) and blanketed in thick fog the rest of the year too. ;-)
  • Options
    Joel BonnerJoel Bonner Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Best: Chester; Lake District; Garswood (A village where I currently live.)

Worst: St Helens (Lived there for 7 years, 7 years too long!); Norris Green (A suburb of Liverpool where I grew up, grim.); New Brighton (Ghost town.)
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The lake district is beautiful but barrow in Furness is pretty grim. However the people are friendly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Best- Peak District or North York Moors

Worse- Rutland in the Midlands.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The New Forest and the Lake District are lovely. Eastbourne f*cks me off every time I go there for some reason
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Birmingham is the only city in the UK to be named in the best 10 cities in the world.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/birmingham-named-one-of-the-top-10-cities-in-the-world-9933668.html
  • Options
    SuesSues Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shankly123 wrote: »
    Funny that - most people say Birmingham is shit, but if you're actually from there you say it's shoyte.:)

I'm not from Birmingham but I love it. The shopping/markets are great fun and I am hoping to be living there next year.

I have recently visited Suffolk/Norfolk and vote Southwold the nicest seaside town I have seen to date (bar Whitby, which is my forever favourite).
  • Options
    Joel BonnerJoel Bonner Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Forgot to add Southport to my favourites, lovely seaside town.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Best...anywhere in West Coat Scotland
    Worst...Cumbernauld

Can I please change this to...
    Worst....Glasgow (when Sectarianism gets in the way)
    Best ... Glasgow cause we have the best of people
    Does that make sense?