Options

Person of Interest S4: US Pace (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hated the meeting between the machines tbh. Yeah we get it, Samaritan is a smug child, hubris (foreshadowing!) etc. Mainly I think it just felt off that Root and the child were having what seemed to be a normal conversation as if they were physically posessed by the AIs instead of just relaying messages like what was actually happening.
  • Options
    newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Afraid the show has lost it's shock factor for me. Was expecting a great cliffhanger, but alas no.
    Also why can't they now just upload photos of the group to Samaritan so it can recognise them?
  • Options
    Otis HillOtis Hill Posts: 2,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Afraid the show has lost it's shock factor for me. Was expecting a great cliffhanger, but alas no.
    Also why can't they now just upload photos of the group to Samaritan so it can recognise them?

I think that Root messed with Samaratins server, in such a way that it is impossible for it to recognise Reese, Shaw, Root, and Finch's faces as their real identities. They now know Shaw's fake identity so Samaritan searches for Shaw's face using that name whenever she steps in front of a camera. If they find out Reese is posing as Det. Reilly, then they can show Samaritan an old picture of Reese but ask it to search for Det Reilly as a threat and find him that way but as far as I can remember, whatever Root did to those servers has crippled its ability to locate them
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the meeting of the machines would have been better if Samaritan had used it's own 'root' from episode 2. She hasn't been seen since and it would have been a good way to reintroduce her.

Not a bad episode though, just another long break to contend with again. :(
  • Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! Speechless.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ending, the feels.
  • Options
    hurrikane313hurrikane313 Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's still hope right?

We did not see the kill shot, so there is still hope. The fact that Sarah has not posted anything on her twitter about it being thankful for the chance to work on the show, says maybe, Samaritan will want Shaw alive so that Team Machine's base can be found.

Or maybe that is just wishful thinking.
  • Options
    Alien28Alien28 Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We did not see the kill shot, so there is still hope. The fact that Sarah has not posted anything on her twitter about it being thankful for the chance to work on the show, says maybe, Samaritan will want Shaw alive so that Team Machine's base can be found.

With all the deaths teased in the simulations this episode, Shaw needs to stay dead for any emotional impact. Whilst normally in most shows it's true that if you don't see them die on screen, they didn't die. I think she will stay dead, they put in too much "gushy" stuff between Shaw and Root, and their "final" scene together, which I see as a pay-off to the Root/Shaw shippers.

Excellent episode, although the reused of the same scene at the start of the simulations did start to wear thin. Although, it's interesting to see that the machine has a sense of humour, even when time is critical (e.g. Lionel kissing Root).
  • Options
    munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Alien28 wrote: »
    With all the deaths teased in the simulations this episode, Shaw needs to stay dead for any emotional impact. Whilst normally in most shows it's true that if you don't see them die on screen, they didn't die. I think she will stay dead, they put in too much "gushy" stuff between Shaw and Root, and their "final" scene together, which I see as a pay-off to the Root/Shaw shippers.

Excellent episode, although the reused of the same scene at the start of the simulations did start to wear thin. Although, it's interesting to see that the machine has a sense of humour, even when time is critical (e.g. Lionel kissing Root).

Did you see "next week on Person of Interest"?
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :(

(and I didn't see the next week preview so will avoid this thread until next week cos someone somewhere is gonna spoil it with a justification of "well it ain't a spoiler cos they showed this preview on tv", and I want a weeks worth of "she might still be alive cos they didn't show it") Not sure why they wouldn't show it if it was her end.
  • Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Queen has been sacrificed.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And people wonder why POI is considered one of the best shows at the moment. If not THE best show.

Just knew it was a simulation once Finch was shot, but still liked seeing things from the machine's point of view.

Loved the "Well we're in a simulation" bit and the way the machine moved things along with the conversations.

One of the strengths of POI is that whoever we may lose, it will be a loss, because they create characters you care about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    R82n8 wrote: »

I think the point of the episode was that the machine didn't sacrifice anyone. The 'Queen' chose to sacrifice herself something I doubt she would have done for anyone else before meeting the team and coming to care about people.
  • Options
    natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's an interview Sarah Shahi has done to explain what lead to the events of last nights episode
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a fan I didn't really need the kiss. I prefer to see it the way the actress saw it, rather than titillation.

The flirting between Shaw and Root was fun but I never really felt Shaw was Lesbian or even Bi-sexual.

But I don't mind if they introduce a female love interest for Root who is lesbian, but it is not necessary.
  • Options
    newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My least favourite character but still really emotional. The show is back to its best.
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that was quite a bizarre episode! :o
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So... As Vader once said... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(:cry:

I had been dreading something like that.

Someone here mentioned a few eps back that they thought that Sarah Shahi was pregnant because of how her shots were framed and what she was wearing... Remember the make-up counter scene when Martine (blonde assassin) came after her? Since then it seems to have been either top-half only, or full body with a BIG BAGGY COAT. And then this week's episode it did seem to me that she was hiding a bump, especially one shot in the subway car... which made me really dread the end.

And then bam, a heroic sacrifice via a variation on the old "manual detonator" trope :(:cry:

... and now that she's out, the pregnancy has been officially confirmed... and it's twins! Happy for her :) sad for us :(

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/07/person-of-interest-shaw-dead-sarah-shahi-pregnant/

http://tvline.com/2015/01/07/person-of-interest-season-4-shaw-dies-sarah-shahi-interview/

Shahi pointed out in the EW link above that "The rule in TV is if you don’t see a body, then they’re not dead."

... so I suppose it's possible she could come back some day, if Martine didn't actually finish her off and decided to capture her instead for some reason. Characters thought that Kara was dead for years, until she turned up later working for Decima.

But I think it's unlikely, especially as she will soon have two new babies to look after.

Still, at least we finally got this:

https://ewinsidetv.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/kiss.gif?w=576&h=324

As for the rest of the episode, I loved the whole simulation thing, and the amusing dialogue in the final run.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    So... As Vader once said... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(:cry:

As for the rest of the episode, I loved the whole simulation thing, and the amusing dialogue in the final run.

Posts have been spoiler tagged because the links you have used and your post give spoilers away for the next episode.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough. Edited.
  • Options
    Gaz22Gaz22 Posts: 18,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet another fantastic episode. I say it after every one of them but POI really is one of the most consistent shows I've ever watched. Characters, plot, twists, action, sadness, humour. Everything you want from a TV show. I wasn't clued up on any gossip or news about the actors so this supposed death caught me out big time. I kept expecting the machine to find an answer, a way out of it but, as Finch said when teaching it chess, sometimes there isn't one. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Fair enough. Edited.

Cheers. Unfortunately it was too late for me, (not your post but the previous one) but hopefully it will save other people being spoilt.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    R82n8 wrote: »

Maybe.

We heard a shot, but didn't see it as the lift descended and doors closed. At this point a return is entirely possible. Perhaps even as someone has has been forcibly switched to the other side? I really hope so, as for me the character is second only to Finch.
  • Options
    munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a fan I didn't really need the kiss. I prefer to see it the way the actress saw it, rather than titillation.

The flirting between Shaw and Root was fun but I never really felt Shaw was Lesbian or even Bi-sexual.

But I don't mind if they introduce a female love interest for Root who is lesbian, but it is not necessary.

I took it that she was doing it for Root more than herself.
  • Options
    humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alien28 wrote: »

I agree, although the reuse of the various simulations gave us an insight into how the machine thinks. Reminded me of the Iain M Banks' novel 'Excession'.
    A theme to which I'll always be drawn.

What irks me is the team going on a mission to save the stock market. I understand it's importance but if Samaritan makes waves of that scale, the plunge protection team (special department set up by President Reagan to oversee and prevent the stock market collapsing) would step in or at the very least dig until it discovered which algorithm on which computer caused the collapse. This would inevitably trace back to Greer or Samaritan itself. And they wouldn't tolerate Samaritan's existence.

Even when things seem a little stagnant, this show can always reaffirm it's brilliance. Some might say, at will.