Options

How do you stop nusence international calls?

1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have been having this problem since the summer, I notice it more at the weekends obviously being at home all day but today so far I have had 6 calls, and we are only half way through the day, calls can come up as international or they can spoof any number, I have had British area codes but they are from the same indian/Pakistani company.

9 times out of 10 its to do with surverys, you say not interested but they don't listen they are extremely persistant, I've told them they have the wrong number but no good they don't actually care who they are talking to as long as someone does the survey. I have also had them calling about PC viruses, PPI but the survery crowd are the most persistent.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't be so polite, just hang up.
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As per your username, you could tell them that you're on the bog. I imagine they wouldn't want to speak to you for long with that knowledge!
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Feeling your pain OP, we're up to 3 today already. Apparently if I'd done the last one, we wouldn't have received any more calls. I suggested I didn't do it and they still didn't call us in the future. She didn't like that and hung up.

Decided the next one is just going to get hung up on as soon as they start.
  • Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got myself one of these when they were first launched, and once set up I have had a big fat 0 unwanted calls get through.
    Instead I see on screen, how many calls have been blocked.

http://www.shop.bt.com/learnmore/bt-branded-products-and-services/the-new-bt8500/

Its similar kit to whats in Andrue's post, but built into the phone instead. Great if you want some new phones as well.
  • Options
    NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had the same problem until we bought our selfs a answering machine, we don't pick up until we know whose calling,it's been god send..:D
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since I've had my BT 6500 (cordless phone about £35 from Amazon), not one nuisance call has got through. I have it set to block no ID and international. You can also block payphone and specific numbers. Although it doesn't apply to me, IIRC you can put your granny in Australia on a VIP list to get past the international block. Peace at last.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landline is only for broadband, handset is only turned on to make calls. Never receive any marketing calls.
  • Options
    bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell them it's a business line - they soon hang up and usually don't come back.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got myself one of these when they were first launched, and once set up I have had a big fat 0 unwanted calls get through.

http://www.shop.bt.com/learnmore/bt-branded-products-and-services/the-new-bt8500/

Its similar kit to whats in Andrue's post, but built into the phone instead. Great if you want some new phones as well.

They are OK if there is a particular number you want to block.

Can it block particular "withheld" numbers as I would not want them all blocked as doctors surgeries hospitals can call on a "withheld" number, and so can the idiots who tell me I have been miss-sold some ppi or some such junk.

Can it block selected "international" calls like those foreign calls about my computer having a virus. I would not want ALL "international" calls blocked because I have friends who phone from abroad. I just want to stop calls from selected countries such as India where many unwanted calls come from.

As far as I am aware these phones can only block calls from "known" numbers and most nuisance calls are from "unknown or unavailable" numbers, many of these there is nobody to actually talk too just a recorded message.

My idea would be to make cold calling illegal and any company that did it would be fined a massive amount of money.

I must have been phoned up hundreds of times from these miss-sold ppi, solar panel, and computer virus companies. I would like the opportunity to cook the directors of these low-life cruddy companies in an industrial chip fryer, now that would give me deep joy.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Another vote for the BT8500 (not to be confused with the earlier and inferior BT6500). We were getting up to 8 unwanted calls a day before we got the BT8500, and haven't had a single unwanted call ring since we bought the phones 3 months ago.
    Caxton wrote: »
    Can it block particular "withheld" numbers as I would not want them all blocked as doctors surgeries hospitals can call on a "withheld" number, and so can the idiots who tell me I have been miss-sold some ppi or some such junk.

Can it block selected "international" calls like those foreign calls about my computer having a virus. I would not want ALL "international" calls blocked because I have friends who phone from abroad. I just want to stop calls from selected countries such as India where many unwanted calls come from.
    In short, yes.

All you have to do is set the phone so that all callers have to announce themselves to get through (numbers on your contact list bypass having to announce themselves, and get straight through). That's what we have. We haven't touched the settings to bar withheld/international etc. We have one medical contact who phones regularly on a withheld number, and all she has to do is announce herself each time. People who really want to get through to you will happily announce themselves (and people who are just going to spam you with crap, won't).

We've even had a couple of tradesmen enquire about the service/phones for their own personal use after they've had to announce themselves to us. I've only ever had positive comments about them.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Say "I don't do phone surveys" then hang up. If you answer their questions they will pass your details on to telemarketers and you'll be plagued by calls.
  • Options
    1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice, my phone does have a call block option, it blocks calls with no caller ID and international however it doesn't work, I phoned BT as its a BT phone who were more interested in selling me a new phone than anything else. So my phone has the option to block but BT can't enable it.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    As far as I am aware these phones can only block calls from "known" numbers and most nuisance calls are from "unknown or unavailable" numbers, many of these there is nobody to actually talk too just a recorded message.
    You're wrong there. I've had three similar units and all of them allow you to block numbers by category. I can indeed configure my TC unit to reject international or withheld numbers. The problem is that some legitimate callers withhold their number - doctors surgeries often do for instance. Also friends calling from overseas might forget the override code.

That's where Whispermode comes in so useful. Every caller not on my whitelist (or where the number is not known) goes through that.

http://www.truecall.co.uk/call-blocker/callblockerdescription/profile-custom/blocker-callflows/whisper.aspx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for making anonymous international calls illegal that's impossible. The UK police have no jurisdiction over the telephone systems or users in other countries. If Outer Mongolia Telecom hasn't implemented caller ID then there's nothing BT or anyone can do to make them. It's not even that simple technically. These days international calls can be routed over all sorts of systems. BT's network might not even know where they come from. OMT might have implemented caller ID but if the caller travelled over three or four other networks anyone of those might have filtered out the CLID information. So one day an OMT call might have CLID, the next day it might not.

You could perhaps ask BT to block calls that don't have caller ID but then you're asking them to control who can and can't call you and they would be reluctant to do that. They would argue that it's not up to them to decide who is allowed to dial your number and that in fact it is their responsibility to ensure that any call goes through. That's what you're paying them for.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    As a cheaper alternative to a 'TruCall' there's 'CprCallBlocker' - I fitted one a few weeks back, not had any nuisance calls since:

http://www.cprcallblocker.com/index.html
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Tell them to "**** off" and then start threatening legal action.

I told that to a MS Scammer caller who had been trying repeatedly to get us. I told him I knew exactly what he was doing, while he was scrabbling around saying "no sir no sir this is genuine" I cut over him and told him the call was being traced by my local authorities. He hung up and never had another problem.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I answer, don't say anything and lay the phone down. They soon get fed up :D
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I have a call blocker. He is like my personal secretary.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    Since I've had my BT 6500 (cordless phone about £35 from Amazon), not one nuisance call has got through. I have it set to block no ID and international. You can also block payphone and specific numbers. Although it doesn't apply to me, IIRC you can put your granny in Australia on a VIP list to get past the international block. Peace at last.

Same set up here, the peace is priceless :)
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use an answerphone to screen any calls. The message asks the caller to "introduce themselves after the tone", and I then decide whether to pick up the phone or not. Sales people and other cold callers always hang up straight away. It also means I don't have to talk to friends of the wife who phone just as I am about to start eating my dinner.

I refuse to spend money on things like Truecall - I do not see why I should line BT's pockets to sort out a problem of their own making - BT win both ways - money from the sales calls and money from those buying equipment and options to stop them.
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    I refuse to spend money on things like Truecall - I do not see why I should line BT's pockets to sort out a problem of their own making - BT win both ways - money from the sales calls and money from those buying equipment and options to stop them.

This is exactly how I feel about it too - having to spend upwards of £25 on devices such as the Call Saint to silence the calls to which you never agreed to in the first place despite being ex-directory and TPS registered.

Am currently dealing with unsolicited calls with caller ID and an answer phone, but maybe I'll buy one of those call blockers in the sales - the BT8500 mentioned above looks like it will do what I need and I'm getting very tempted to silencing the calls once and for all.
  • Options
    SpouthouseSpouthouse Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a cheaper alternative to a 'TruCall' there's 'CprCallBlocker' - I fitted one a few weeks back, not had any nuisance calls since:

http://www.cprcallblocker.com/index.html

We have one of these and it really seems to have done the trick. It's also incredibly satisfying when you get to zap someone with the block button.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    Truecall is not sold or made by BT so you'd not be giving them any money if you bought one. And anyway how is this a problem of BT's making? I've already pointed out in my previous reply why BT aren't responsible. They don't make any money from overseas call centres.

All in all I think you're just being silly. BT does not charge excessively for its services and there's definitely no point in developing a personal hatred of a company. Since you have a problem it's entirely reasonable that you pay for a solution to it.
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    This is exactly how I feel about it too - having to spend upwards of £25 on devices such as the Call Saint to silence the calls to which you never agreed to in the first place despite being ex-directory and TPS registered.
    You are paying your provider to route calls to you and they are doing that. It's not their fault if other people are abusing that. I'm sure your provider will help you minimise the inconvenience if you ask them but ultimately it's like getting annoyed with your postman because he delivers bills to you.

And for more information on how international routing works and why BT may be largely powerless:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_telecommunications_routes
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Least-cost_routing
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice, my phone does have a call block option, it blocks calls with no caller ID and international however it doesn't work, I phoned BT as its a BT phone who were more interested in selling me a new phone than anything else. So my phone has the option to block but BT can't enable it.
    Is it the BT6500? You just have to go online & read reviews to see that a lot of users had faults with them. Us included. We had to return two sets. If it's not working as it should, I suggest you do the same.

However, don't let that put you off BT phones, because the recent BT8500 has rave reviews and truly does block all unwanted calls for us (Truecall built in), as I said earlier. Worth every penny. I suspect this is the phone BT are trying to sell you, and there are plenty customers out there praising it, if you read the very positive reviews. :)