Options

Personal CD that plays MP3

SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭✭
After deciding that the standard MP3 players are not quite worth it and I'm still not sold on the MP3 HD units...I've decided to get a personal CD unit that plays MP3s...

From a bit scouting around the two best models appear to be from Sony and Panasonic....

The Sony has the benefit of using MD tech to cram loads on a disc with it's burner software and the Panny is cheaper and lighter..

So here's the links...please have a look and tell me what you think...

Cheers...

http://products.sony.co.uk/productdetail.asp?id=1_62_2596

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/product/personalcd/SLCT800S.htm

Comments

• Options
    RodneyRodney Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you thought of a portable VCD player? I have one at home that plays CD's, MP3 CDR's, Video CD's and JPEG photo CD's. Bought it new for £55 off E-Bay. It's the same size as a Sony Discman, but much more versatile.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Ok i have a protable Vcd/Mp3/Cd/Cdr/Cdrw Player a NapaDav it's excellent, and uses rechargeble batterys.

I paid £65 about 2 years ago, but seen it really cheap for about £35 on this site.

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk

Search for Mp3 and it's £29.99

But just looked and it's not a VCD player

Up to you of course
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    VCD is not important..if I wanna look at something like that the laptop's fine
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must admit I'm veering towards the Panny..because I think my PC will get upset with both Nero and Sony's SonicStage burning software on it...and I can't find the info on the quality of the compression that the Sony unit uses...apart from the fact it's based on MD...
  • Options
    rock8633rock8633 Posts: 1,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the look of the Panasonic ,if i was going to buy one ,that would be the one i would choose...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Current player is a 10 year old Technics and that's served me well...so with the Panny being the same family, I have no doubts about quality...I'm just curious about the Sony unit and that's what's stopping me from making a decision...

Dunno if someone can tell me but I presume these players can cope with VBR and differing bit rates?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just checked with both Sony and Panny's support lines and neither supports VBR which is a bit of a sod...now looking at the units here

Been told they all do VBR but the battery life on them is not impressive in comparison to the more commercial products...could be a tricky decision...

Does anyone know if you can convert VBR to CBR without any further major loss?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems that Cdex does a decent conversion as does dBpowerAMP Music Converter...(but I'd choose Cdex over it every time)...

So the Panny it is....
  • Options
    chrisbartleychrisbartley Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems you've already made you mind up,

but if not,

take a look at Iriver products - they were in at the beginning of MP3 CD players and since they were flash upgradable (at that time) they were able to take on board users suggetions to improve the product - user interface etc via active user group on mp3.com. So it became a very polished product which features an usabilty far above the competition at the time

As a previous and current user I highly recommend them

see here

or here for review of Iriver SlimX
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I got this one after reading the Review in T3 Magazine..

DCP-400

ST01189P.JPG

It's now available from IWantOneOfThose and the picture (above) really shows it off...!

The dcp-400 was a little expensive at £109 considering it isn't made by Sony or Panasonic, but I reckon it can cut it with those guys. And it plays WMA and MP3. It's also got SRS and TruBASS like Windows Media Player and sounds great..

Ruffas
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prob with both of those products are the low (comparitively) battery times..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not with the Iriver !

My one which is a Rio Volt (aka Iriver 1) gives somything like 12 hours, allegedly the newer SlimX's gives nearer 24 hours
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah but both the Sony and the Panny put in 30+
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh .. I see

Stands corrected !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by chrisbartley
    Not with the Iriver !

My one which is a Rio Volt (aka Iriver 1) gives somything like 12 hours, allegedly the newer SlimX's gives nearer 24 hours

I have owned an iRiver SlimX for about 1 and half years now, and I really cannot praise it enough.
    The sound quality is superb, the build quality i excellent too! It's even got a radio tuner.

If this one ever does conk out on me, I wouldn't hesitate in buying another.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've found the killer blow to the main brands.....

You can't fast forward or rewind within an MP3 with the Pannys or Sonys...:cry:

Which makes listening to audio books or mixes really awkward if you miss something or want to skip through...

I now think I'm almost certain that I will have to buy one of the specialized units....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The RioVolt 1 ( with latest firmware) can remember the last play position of up to the last 10 CD's played, so is ideal for audio books and the like. (and of course FF and Rew are standard issue)

Im sure the Iriver SlimX will have such a capability being derived from the same original product as the RioVolt was.
    Hopefully AlanMarshall will update us on that specific.

As I said before it was things like this which were added specifically at users request ( because they could due to use of Flash memory) that realy made the Iriver name - i.e. they listened and responded to their customers needs and tegh way they used the product rather than just pushing out a product / user i/f designed in house.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checked with the guy at advancedmp3players.co.uk and the IRivers definitely support skipping through and rewinding....

Perhaps it's worth waiting for the new model out shortly that looks a gem...

Not likely to be cheap though...:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean the iMP-550
    All that and 55 hours playback !!
    Amazing

Still once it come out, there may be a price drop on the 350 , which is still a good product - often pays to keep off that 'bleeding edge' of technology
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by chrisbartley
    You mean the iMP-550
    All that and 55 hours playback !!
    Amazing

Still once it come out, there may be a price drop on the 350 , which is still a good product - often pays to keep off that 'bleeding edge' of technology

True...but it don't 'arf look good...:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a personal cd but this caught my eye when I was having a browse...ORACOM ORC200 128MB MP3 PLAYER @ 89.00 with advancedmp3....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice - if only it had a CF slot, in addition or as well as the internal memory

While shooting all my previous arguments about mp3 players requiring a decent ID tag based menu structure down in flames
    you can't get much more cheaper and cherrful than this

It even does FF and Rew in track

user manual on www.freecom.com
    battery life only 7 hours ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it available anywhere else as I know ebuyer don't accept phone orders?

I notice the SNR ratio is a tad poor...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A quick look shows scan.co.uk have it but not at such a good price. i.e.£46
    But they do have this for £34 also an 8cm player which DOES have id3 tag display an search, and FF and Rew
    colour scheme a bit er garish - still i'll be in you pocket most of the time
    full info
    some review comments
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :)

Only thing it don't say is it's weight