Options

Guinness - Do people prefer the cold version or original room temp one?

Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi there,

I've always preferred the original room temp Guinness, but a lot of places I go seem to only be doing the cold version and not the original one!

I can only put this down to that people prefer it colder?

I think they should at least still sell the normal one so people have the option.

So do you prefer the cold or the normal one (room temp)?

Mark.

Comments

• Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Room temperature" will vary.
    My ideal is just below but never so cool you can't appreciate the flavour.
    Dublin is dangerous - it slides down the throat like an eel in an oil slickl :D
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Room temperature" will vary.
    My ideal is just below but never so cool you can't appreciate the flavour.
    Dublin is dangerous - it slides down the throat like an eel in an oil slickl :D

I know what you mean about Guinness in Dublin as I've been there a few times with friends. :D

I remember the Guinness factory tour when they gave you a free pint of Guinness at the end of it. I had my pint followed by a couple more free ones that people gave me once they had their photo taken with a pint (I had to oblige). :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know what you mean about Guinness in Dublin as I've been there a few times with friends. :D

I remember the Guinness factory tour when they gave you a free pint of Guinness at the end of it. I had my pint followed by a couple more free ones that people gave me once they had their photo taken with a pint (I had to oblige). :D
    We walked back to our hotel from there (near O'Connell Street) and practically every pub was luring us in. :)
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Hi there,

I've always preferred the original room temp Guinness, but a lot of places I go seem to only be doing the cold version and not the original one!

I can only put this down to that people prefer it colder?

I think they should at least still sell the normal one so people have the option.

So do you prefer the cold or the normal one (room temp)?

Mark.

It seems to be the fashion nowadays to serve everything cold. I've even seen pubs where they sell Guinness Cold - and also Extra Cold.

Prefer it cool but not cold myself. It takes me much longer to drink if it is cold so I sometimes get a couple of pints so that the second will have warmed up a bit before I drink it. :)
  • Options
    StockingsStockings Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    The normal one, and I don't need a shamrock drawn into the head.
  • Options
    StockingsStockings Posts: 137
    Forum Member

I found the factory tour uninspiring and very touristy.

Now, the Jamesons distillery tour was far, far better.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    It's part of a growing trend towards freezing cold beer. I've even been to bars in Greece where they serve their beer at below freezing point. It just kills the taste.
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Room temperature. I usually neck the first before the second one is ready.
    They slide down so easily. I can drink 3 or 4 in a few minutes but boy does my stomach complain!!
    Have to slow down or I get the 'Guinness sh!ts in the morning:-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's part of a growing trend towards freezing cold beer. I've even been to bars in Greece where they serve their beer at below freezing point. It just kills the taste.
    I've drunk at pool bars in Spain and Turkey where the glasses are kept in an ice cold chiller and develop a frost when brought out. You often get a semi frozen layer in the beer. But when the temp is really hot it warms up really quickly.
    If you haven't finished it within 20/30 mins at the side of your lounger it's warm beer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stockings wrote: »
    I found the factory tour uninspiring and very touristy.
    When I visited I was amazed to learn that the Caribbean countries were the greatest consumers of Guinness. It's now Nigeria, or will be shortly
    However, it's not the draught Guinness we know but an"export" canned or bottled brew at about 7.5%.
    I unwittingly (not realising the strength) drank two cans mid afternoon on a cruise many years ago. A short while after I was snoring in the cabin.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    do you prefer the cold or the normal one (room temp)?
    The normal one. If you taste the cold one at a normal temperature, it tastes like watered down Guinness with a chemical after taste. The cold basically stops your mouth tasting it properly, so they can give you cheap shite that makes them more money.
    the Guinness factory tour when they gave you a free pint of Guinness at the end of it.
    Free... at the end of an €18 tour of a brick-walled factory without any rides? ;-)
    it's not the draught Guinness we know but an"export" canned or bottled brew at about 7.5%.
    That's brewed in Nigeria, and has been for decades. You even get Guinness stronger than that brewed in Russia, complete with Russian writing on the label, apart from the 'Guinness' logo! It tastes vile, but I guess the Russians just like strong drinks in the cold.

Caribbean people love stout. Why do you think such a popular drink they have is Dragon Stout, which coincidentally is exactly the same strength as Nigerian Guinness! The 'Export' bit of the name essentially means exported from Nigeria to the Caribbean, though you can buy it here in a few places too.
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The normal one.

I never put beer in the fridge, even if it is a hot day, I like it at ambient temperature - if it's cold (the beer or the weather) I don't drink beer.