Gordon Brown's Dignified Exit

Comments

• late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    For all the faults he had a very hard time and I kinda feel sorry for the guy. The media was a gang out to constantly get him and don't forget the trials in his personal life. He made mistakes but in the end went with dignity with the country in mind.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how long it will be until he's pushed into the Lords?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 424
    Forum Member
    Did I hear a different speech from everyone else? He'll still be party leader, and hence PM, till the party conference in sep/oct.

He could still be PM at the next election.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Superior wrote: »
    Gordon Brows legacy wont be leaving us for some time. You me, our kids and our kids kids will be paying.

He has stolen money from those as yet unborn. And spent it on sweeties to gather votes for today.

And he still lost. So he bankrupted us, for precisely nothing.

Brown will go down in history. But not how he would want.

Good post, well said.

Browns legacy is that we are all lumbered with around £14k worth of debt over our heads, on every man woman and child, which will take decades of cuts to public services and tax hikes to pay off. This is Browns legacy, and this is Labour's legacy to us all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamasinger wrote: »
    Whatever you thought of him as PM, I though his departure was very dignified and I have to say I felt a little sad. I think under that gruff exterior he only ever had the best intentions for the country.:cry:
    Hear hear!
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Epicurean wrote: »
    Did I hear a different speech from everyone else? He'll still be party leader, and hence PM, till the party conference in sep/oct.

He could still be PM at the next election.

Unless there is a coalition with the Tories and Lib Dems and then he will NOT be PM.
  • foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Gordon has done the right thing..

I am a public Servant within the Council, and mine is one of thousands of jobs Cameron and his henchmen want to scalp!!!

I for one would be happy if Labour manage to snatch this at the final hour...

Tories are poison, and do not take the poor man into account!!!!!!
  • paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might sound dignified, he has no desire to stay, yeah right, sounds like Clegg has made it a condition of entering into talks that Brown goes, some in his own party have gone public on that. He has been forced to stand down, except that he has not said when.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd question his intentions and his motives if he stood down quickly while theres no replacement. The fact that he's stuck around shows that he gives a shit. I know if I was him I'd be counting down the days to retirement, god knows he deserves a break!

I've said it all along and I stand by it today....He's one of the good ones. I think alot of people who slate him now will actually look back on his time as leader and think...''Actually he was alright. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brown doing the decent thing and resigning for the sake of the country. He's a good bloke despite what anyone says.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    foxy23 wrote: »
    Well, Gordon has done the right thing..

I am a public Servant within the Council, and mine is one of thousands of jobs Cameron and his henchmen want to scalp!!!

I for one would be happy if Labour manage to snatch this at the final hour...

Tories are poison, and do not take the poor man into account!!!!!!

same here although I'm on the Lib Dem side. People really don't realise what the Tories are like. I'm in local government and they are hopeless and corrupt. They talk behind closed doors and take decisions at the top undemocratically and backhanded.

If people really realise what they are like (many have short memories and forgot about last time) they wouldn't vote for them.
  • foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    same here although I'm on the Lib Dem side. People really don't realise what the Tories are like. I'm in local government and they are hopeless and corrupt. They talk behind closed doors and take decisions at the top undemocratically and backhanded.

If people really realise what they are like (many have short memories and forgot about last time) they wouldn't vote for them.

Precisely!!

A lot of the voters this time, will not have been around when the Tories were last in power...! It was a disaster....!!!

The Conservative Party DO NOT CARE one iota about the working man! They have NO INTEREST!

People should wake up!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote: »

Exactly!

The conservatives here have recently had full control of our local council. They have scrapped public questions, and people now have to submit a question in writing at least a week beforehand. Obviously this gives them time to scrutinise and prepare answers, and obviously if a question is deemed to difficult to answer, it doesn't get past the submitting stage. Completely undemocratic.
  • CubeGameCubeGame Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would have been dignified on Friday. On monday it was a sad admission of defeat.
  • VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sensoria wrote: »
    The Graham Taylor of politics. Genuine bloke with good intentions and good ideas...............screwed over by circumstances behond his control.

Not forgetting a rancid media that was preaching to an anti-Scottish sentiment darn sarth.
  • JaystarJaystar Posts: 4,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I understanding this correctly, he "hopes" that a successor will be in place by September, so we're not going to get shot of him for another 5 months (and maybe not even then, if a successor is still not in place).
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This will be tomorrows front page in The Sun.
    Well they've tried everything to get Cameron into Downing St - attempts to influence the voting of the GBP - slurs against Brown and the Labour Party - and still they haven't got their way.

They'll be up all night trying to dream up some scurrilous headline that will make them look more desperate than ever.
  • MillysMommaMillysMomma Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he was a Great Prime Minister, he just didn't have the unecessary looks or the Charisma to charm the public, which is obviously Very Important in this Celebrity Obsessed Country. I think what he has done is Very Dignified and he is obviously not as Power Hungry as people have been suggesting. Best of Luck to you Gordon, I wish you and your Family All The Very Best.
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GOGO2 wrote: »

I've said it all along and I stand by it today....He's one of the good ones. I think alot of people who slate him now will actually look back on his time as leader and think...''Actually he was alright. :)

He was/is a clown who has wrecked the pensions of millions and almost made the country a financial basket case.

If you think that following Zimbabawe and having to print money to stave off disaster is 'alright' then gawd elp us :D
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    He was/is a clown who has wrecked the pensions of millions and almost made the country a financial basket case.

If you think that following Zimbabawe and having to print money to stave off disaster is 'alright' then gawd elp us :D

Is that what he did?
  • nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When is he going exactly?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When is he going exactly?

Maybe tomorrow. Maybe September,

Can't start celebrating yet!

If Clegg does a deal with Labour he will still be seen as keeping a defeated PM in office.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamasinger wrote: »
    Whatever you thought of him as PM, I though his departure was very dignified and I have to say I felt a little sad. I think under that gruff exterior he only ever had the best intentions for the country.:cry:

Me too :cry:

I can't help but think there's been a witch hunt against him and he's a nice guy!

Oh well, the vultures can turn on someone else now... give it time and DC will be targeted ;)
  • cleocleo Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .::.JN.::. wrote: »
    This just shows that Gordon Brown has only ever done his best and always wanted the best for the UK, I think all this criticism he has received has been unwarranted.

I agree. :) We should remember that PMs are almost always disliked in their own premiership / prime ministerhood :confused: - whatever it's called

He hasn't been lucky, in life or in politics.:(
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's like he's just died and people are being nice about him.