Options

Girl Guides/ Brownies turning into feminazi indoctrination clubs?

Comments

• Options
    The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just knew this would be a female hating thread when I saw the ops name
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The FBI wrote: »

Be fair, he loves strippers.

#notallwomen
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really care about their 'attitudes' now.

When I was a brownie - only a year, I got thrown out, I think - the women who ran them were a hell of a lot scarier than most around nowadays.

:D Why did you get thrown out? If I can be so bold.

The ones who run my daughter's are lovely. They look barely older than the Brownies.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DadDancer wrote: »
    the Brownies/ guides has always been the female equivalent of the cub scouts. That was the reason it was set up. Those links just sound like they could have been written by Harriet Harman to me and go too far the other way. I made an error when i said women's rights movement i should have said women's superiority movement.

Yeah you tell yourself that. Reading the links and knowing there is nothing outrageous at all, just common sense, I don't believe you for a second. Or are you really a very old man? :D

If they'd advocated topless sunbathing would it all have been acceptable? :D
  • Options
    Kyle_TKyle_T Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://new.girlguiding.org.uk/report

http://www.girlguiding.org.uk/campaigns1.aspx

I really won't be encouraging my daughter to join if this is what they have descended to? :confused:

I know, it's sickening. As a father of three daughters I am outraged. How dare this insidious organization promote ambition, confidence and self-respect in young girls? I don't want my daughters getting all uppity, thinking they can achieve anything. >:(
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kyle_T wrote: »
    I know, it's sickening. As a father of three daughters I am outraged. How dare this insidious organization promote ambition, confidence and self-respect in young girls? I don't want my daughters getting all uppity, thinking they can achieve anything. >:(

:D:D:D This is my favourite post of the day.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    If they'd advocated topless sunbathing would it all have been acceptable? :D

No all he wants is for the women in his household to stop asking him to go buy tampons when they are dying of cramps. Then all would be gravy.
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The FBI wrote: »

female hating thread? No just the critizing of militant feminists. ;-) that includes white knights too. Why do you get the impression i hate women?:confused: you couldn't be further from the truth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    Sorry, you sound like the kind of Dad whose daughter would need this kind of input.
    Which point did the girls raise that got you objecting?

Sexual harrassment at school is ok by you? You'd tell her to take it as a compliment?
    FGM is not an appalling type of cruelty? It's just part of being a girl?

Girls should be not listened to the way they weren't at Rochdale?

The Girl Guide movement has always tried to encourage strong independent girls. It's more needed now than ever it was.

Maybe the Stop Page 3 campaign stuck in his graw.

I remember a time when there were nudey ladies on lager cans. Damned interfering Brownies.
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Namira wrote: »
    I don't know when they went all girl power myself, but I would hardly classify anything that you have linked as "feminazi".
    It all seems ok tbh apart from the no more page 3 thing.
  • Options
    Kyle_TKyle_T Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    female hating thread? No just the critizing of militant feminists. ;-) that includes white knights too. Why do you get the impression i hate women?:confused: you couldn't be further from the truth.

Perhaps it's because you seem to be frothing at the mouth about something that is sending a very (and much needed) positive message to girls?
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D Why did you get thrown out? If I can be so bold.

The ones who run my daughter's are lovely. They look barely older than the Brownies.

I wasn't some big rebel or anything, I just didn't care about getting the badges, got a bit lost in the country dancing - which I know they thought was deliberate scuppering but right and left are a problem for me, and basically, as a child I found it hard to keep my trap shut, in a polite and educated way, but a bit uncomfortable I think.

Father was a university teacher, the women there were draconian types with WI credentials and a deal of rather suburban ferocity.

Made me laugh. I was rather a GOOD girl actually.:D
  • Options
    NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all seems ok tbh apart from the no more page 3 thing.

I wouldn't mind seeing the back of Page 3, as long as the Daily Mail's sidebar of shame and those bloody horrible body shaming, materialistic women's magazines go with it.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    I always have a nagging suspicion that use of the word feminazi with straight face requires there to be some crippling feelings of inadequacy on the part of the user tbh. And about the frickin brownies!!! lol how silly.

Exactly. Anyone who used the term feminazi sincerely cedes all right to be taken seriously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If only they decided to follow their rightful calling and decide to become mothers or erm... poll-dancers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

but why do they need something like this to encourage them and have self respect? :confused: isn't that implying that women are inferior so need special encouragement. How is that equality?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't some big rebel or anything, I just didn't care about getting the badges, got a bit lost in the country dancing - which I know they thought was deliberate scuppering but right and left are a problem for me, and basically, as a child I found it hard to keep my trap shut, in a polite and educated way, but a bit uncomfortable I think.

Father was a university teacher, the women there were draconian types with WI credentials and a deal of rather suburban ferocity.

Made me laugh. I was rather a GOOD girl actually.:D

Aw, I would struggle with the country dancing too. No coordination whatsoever. I did laugh at 'deliberate scuppering' though. They sound like a dreadful bunch to be running Brownies. Sound a bit like our daughter's GB leaders. We were so glad a place came up with Brownies and she left it. They were WI harridans too.

Our local Brownie group is brilliant. I hope they get to go away more in guides though. So far it's mainly been a lot of working toward their Hostess and Cookery badges. So very not feminazi. :D

Son is in Beavers and I expect there will be a time in the future that our daughter will see her brother doing more - camping, etc - and feel short-changed but unfortunately no girls are allowed in our local Scout group. Shame. I'd quite to be a Scout myself. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but why do they need something like this to encourage them and have self respect? :confused: isn't that implying that women are inferior so need special encouragement. How is that equality?

It would only imply such a thing if women were already actually treated as equals in our culture and society. They aren't though, however much you would wish to deny it.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    If only they decided to follow their rightful calling and decide to become mothers or erm... poll-dancers.

Don't forget the pinnacle of any young girl's ambition. Page 3 :D
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aw, I would struggle with the country dancing too. No coordination whatsoever. I did laugh at 'deliberate scuppering' though. They sound like a dreadful bunch to be running Brownies. Sound a bit like our daughter's GB leaders. We were so glad a place came up with Brownies and she left it. They were WI harridans too.

Our local Brownie group is brilliant. I hope they get to go away more in guides though. So far it's mainly been a lot of working toward their Hostess and Cookery badges. So very not feminazi. :D

Son is in Beavers and I expect there will be a time in the future that our daughter will see her brother doing more - camping, etc - and feel short-changed but unfortunately no girls are allowed in our local Scout group. Shame. I'd quite to be a Scout myself. :blush:

Good luck to them all. Social activities with learning and some good singing an' all, what's not to love?

Good for 'em. A step towards 'it takes a village to raise a child'.:D
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    It would only imply such a thing if women were already actually treated as equals in our culture and society. They aren't though, however much you would wish to deny it.

Yeah, pretty much ^this^.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Namira wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind seeing the back of Page 3, as long as the Daily Mail's sidebar of shame and those bloody horrible body shaming, materialistic women's magazines go with it.

Its always about censoring things / banning things with you lot isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its always about censoring things / banning things with you lot isn't it?

Who lot? Feminazis or DSers or people who think the Mail's sidebar of shame is banal, unnecessary shyte? :confused:
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://new.girlguiding.org.uk/report

http://www.girlguiding.org.uk/campaigns1.aspx

When did this happen? I just read this latest campaign and it appears they have turned into some women's rights movement and not a very good one at that. It's a real shame that something that used to be about camaraderie, camp fires, survival skills, sports and games now appears to be an awful feminists rights movement. :(

I really won't be encouraging my daughter to join if this is what they have descended to? :confused:

I am uncomfortable with some of the more militant feminism. The type that the (awkward) term 'feminazi' is reserved for. So I could have agreed with you.

But I just don't see what is so extreme about the things they are promoting? Women do have low representation in the top positions, plenty of girls do have low body confidence. I don't agree with their stance on page 3 - I find the Sun an awful newspaper but page 3 isn't one of it's biggest issues in my opinion, although I do question what place it has in a so called 'news' paper, but then you could say that about a lot of things in it.

Basically, I would like to know what you find so 'feminazi' about these campaigns?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    Don't forget the pinnacle of any young girl's ambition. Page 3 :D

I'm pretty sure I remember reading that Thatcher only became PM so she should get in the papers. They kept putting her on the front instead of page 3 like she had dreamed of as a girl though. :(:p