Good monitor for digital artwork?

I'm currently using an Acer x193w and it's doing my head in due to it being rather small and not that great for digital art. Also my current monitor is slightly darker at the top than it is at the bottom so choosing colours isn't easy at times.

Does anyone have any good recommendations on a decent 24" or above monitor that has excellent sharpness and colour reproduction for around £300?

Also what input (HDMI/VGA/DVI) gives the best picture quality?

:)

Comments

• call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Have a look at THIS........I have an ASUS with the same panel from Samsung and it was a about twice the price....So this is a bargain IMO. You'll probably get one even cheaper than the £340 it's going for on the net, after Christmas.
    I use DVi on mine. It's basically the same as HDMI without the audio...I wouldn't consider VGA and I doubt the monitor will have a VGA connection these days.
    See HERE for a comparison..
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want to rate a monitor i'd advise seeing it in action as everyone is different
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Acer and asus both make good monitors. HDMI and DVI are the same, apart from the pin layout and HDMI can carry audio. there are a few differences, but nothing that is going to change your choice of monitor.

Go for a IPS one as well, it will give you better colour reproduction. My next monitor will be a IPS one.

A bit of info about IPS
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Acer and asus both make good monitors. HDMI and DVI are the same, apart from the pin layout and HDMI can carry audio. there are a few differences, but nothing that is going to change your choice of monitor.

Go for a IPS one as well, it will give you better colour reproduction. My next monitor will be a IPS one.

A bit of info about IPS

Yes PLS/IPS screen for any digital work. My VA screen looks a bit dull next to the ASUS PLS.
  • PandaPawPawPandaPawPaw Posts: 7,340
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies. :)

I am thinking about getting the Dell U2414H. Seems decent and suited for artwork.
    Forum Member

I am thinking about getting the Dell U2414H. Seems decent and suited for artwork.

Not used one of those, but, it's a good price if you don't want a large screen.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    One word of warning....

I just replaced my own monitor and, as a result, I've been looking at a heap of monitors recently.

Now, I have to admit that one of my main considerations was for gaming and, even so, I've ended up with an IPS monitor and it's certainly acceptable...

but...

I'd also have to admit that I HAVE noticed more "ghosting" on moving images that I had with my old monitor.
    It's not a huge deal, it's something you quickly start to ignore and it's still fine for gaming but it IS noticeable.
    For example, I used to be able to scroll down through the forums and read posts while the screen was scrolling but that's not as easy with the new monitor.

Just occurs to me that if you really DO want a monitor for digital artwork then the better saturation of an IPS panel might be attractive but if you're doing something that involves having moving stuff on the screen (such as adding "airbrushed" effects etc) then you might find the ghosting on an IPS screen to be a bit irritating.

Course, it might be worth looking at the spec's for your current monitor before worrying too much.

I didn't realise that, with a 2ms refresh rate, my previous monitor (which was 5 years old) was still pretty snappy by today's standards.
    That being the case, I guess my new monitor, with it's IPS panel, was always going to have a hard time competing for crispness of moving images and it is better in a huge number of other ways.

Point being, if your current monitor has, say, a 10ms refresh rate then a decent IPS screen is still going to be better, even if the technology means it can't refresh quite as quickly as a VA panel.
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    One word of warning....

I just replaced my own monitor and, as a result, I've been looking at a heap of monitors recently.

Now, I have to admit that one of my main considerations was for gaming and, even so, I've ended up with an IPS monitor and it's certainly acceptable...

but...

I'd also have to admit that I HAVE noticed more "ghosting" on moving images that I had with my old monitor.
    It's not a huge deal, it's something you quickly start to ignore and it's still fine for gaming but it IS noticeable.
    For example, I used to be able to scroll down through the forums and read posts while the screen was scrolling but that's not as easy with the new monitor.

Just occurs to me that if you really DO want a monitor for digital artwork then the better saturation of an IPS panel might be attractive but if you're doing something that involves having moving stuff on the screen (such as adding "airbrushed" effects etc) then you might find the ghosting on an IPS screen to be a bit irritating.

Course, it might be worth looking at the spec's for your current monitor before worrying too much.

I didn't realise that, with a 2ms refresh rate, my previous monitor (which was 5 years old) was still pretty snappy by today's standards.
    That being the case, I guess my new monitor, with it's IPS panel, was always going to have a hard time competing for crispness of moving images and it is better in a huge number of other ways.

Point being, if your current monitor has, say, a 10ms refresh rate then a decent IPS screen is still going to be better, even if the technology means it can't refresh quite as quickly as a VA panel.

I have no problems with 'ghosting' or motion blur on my ASUS with 5ms rt. That said, I only do a small amount of gaming with a PS3 connected. Don't notice anything in watching movies etc.
    You don't say what make your monitor is. The ASUS uses a PLS panel from Samsung, so, I don't know if that makes a difference.
    Forum Member
    @Si_Crewe thanks for the info. I just need it for artwork and not moving images. :)

@Tassium thanks for the link. Sound good and just what I need but reading on hotukdeals the monitor might be a refurb so I might not get it unless it's cheap else where.

Also I might use the new monitor for artwork and the old one for everything else but does using a dual monitor setup effect PC performance or is it just like linking two TV's to one source?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That looks amazing for the price,
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    I have no problems with 'ghosting' or motion blur on my ASUS with 5ms rt. That said, I only do a small amount of gaming with a PS3 connected. Don't notice anything in watching movies etc.
    You don't say what make your monitor is. The ASUS uses a PLS panel from Samsung, so, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Sorry, I posted a thread discussing my new monitor HERE. It's an LG 29UM65.

I don't mean to make it sound like the ghosting is a big deal but I thought it was worth mentioning for the sake of objectivity.

My old monitor was a Hanns-G 281d and the LG is superior in almost every way but it seems like the Hanns-G did have a pretty spectacular response time which means that the ghosting IS a bit more noticeable on the LG.

It's actually not very noticeable at all in games or with movies, presumably because the entire screen-image is changing all the time.
    Where it's most apparent is if I've got, say, a CAD drawing and most of the screen is white and there is fine detail or text in black. If I scroll the screen the black lines will blur slightly while the image is moving whereas, from memory, I don't think I ever noticed that on the old Hanns-G.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I posted a thread discussing my new monitor HERE. It's an LG 29UM65.

I don't mean to make it sound like the ghosting is a big deal but I thought it was worth mentioning for the sake of objectivity.

My old monitor was a Hanns-G 281d and the LG is superior in almost every way but it seems like the Hanns-G did have a pretty spectacular response time which means that the ghosting IS a bit more noticeable on the LG.

It's actually not very noticeable at all in games or with movies, presumably because the entire screen-image is changing all the time.
    Where it's most apparent is if I've got, say, a CAD drawing and most of the screen is white and there is fine detail or text in black. If I scroll the screen the black lines will blur slightly while the image is moving whereas, from memory, I don't think I ever noticed that on the old Hanns-G.

A IPS screen may have a problem with ghosting, the older ones certainly, that was a problem with ISP and why they are really not idea for games. Saying that the next genaration of them have improved a lot and my mate have a Asus 27inch pro IPs monitor, cost nearly £500, the quality is brilliant, Mind you for that price it should be, no trials on that,.

My monitor is a Hanns-G, the HH221 model and i love it, for the price it have done me very well indeed. I been thinking of getting a larger monitor and thought about anohter Hanns-g, but I did not think they produced IPS ones. this thread got me to have a look just now and I see that they have a 27 inch one for £154 around the net. But looking at Hanns-g site you would not think it was a IPS one, they do not shout about it.

I only found out it was ISP by other sites, May think about getting ti to be honest, I got some money to do that, I can use my old monitor as a second monitor, i will have to move things around the desk a bit, but It all should fit ok
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    I been thinking of getting a larger monitor and thought about anohter Hanns-g, but I did not think they produced IPS ones. this thread got me to have a look just now and I see that they have a 27 inch one for £154 around the net.

Was going to mention, to the OP, that you can pick up a decent 27" monitor off eBay for only about a tenner more than the £150 he's thinking of spending on the 24" Dell.

When I was shopping for a new monitor, there were heaps of 27" monitors from Hanns-G, Acer and Benq (the Benq ones seem to get particularly good reviews) on eBay for around £160 but when I looked again, last night, the cheapest was around £200.

I guess you have to pick your moment carefully.
    Forum Member
    Was going to mention, to the OP, that you can pick up a decent 27" monitor off eBay for only about a tenner more than the £150 he's thinking of spending on the 24" Dell.

When I was shopping for a new monitor, there were heaps of 27" monitors from Hanns-G, Acer and Benq (the Benq ones seem to get particularly good reviews) on eBay for around £160 but when I looked again, last night, the cheapest was around £200.

I guess you have to pick your moment carefully.

I had a quick look and yeah there are a few good monitors on there. This Acer looks OK but I'll go read some reviews and see how it fairs first. Thanks Si_Crewe. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I should not have, I have gone for the Hanns-G 27inch IPS one, I got it from Ebuyer for a good price and it came yesterday, which is good as it was due to come tomorrow.

It is big, a extra 5 inches do make a difference. Very bright so I had to tone that down a bit, not really mucked about with it much due to me being tired due to medication, but when I get over that in the next couple of days I will see what it is like.

I played a couple of videos on it, some SD and a couple of HD and it seems fine, certainly can see the flaws in SD because of the closeness I am to it, ok when watching a bit further back :)

My only complaint is the stand, it is a bit iffy, the little tags on the bottom of the post type thing have broken off while trying to fit the base, but the screw holds it together, and come the end of the week I should have a table mount to mount both monitors onto.

But for the price it seems ok,
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »

It uses the old technology called TN, not IPS, so well it is a good price, certainly for PC world, it is not going to give the quality of a IPS monitor.
    But you do get the Acer name and their monitors are pretty good.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've has a Medion 19" monitor since 2007, which has performed brilliantly for graphics and photo-editing. Now I'm beginning to get a bit worried about finding a suitable replacement when the time comes.

The thing is that it's a 4:3 ratio, which I find infinitely preferable to the widescreen format. A 19" widescreen looks tiny by comparison and the current one is the perfect fit for my workstation.