Are white hetrosexual men the least equal in britain

Comments

• Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think our society doesn't do equality too well.

I would certainly feel a lot safer as a UK indian man living in a predominantly indian area, with indian family, shops and religious temples surrounding me than a white hetero male in a mixed community with bugger all to do with my local community besides paying bills to british gas and the council.
  • rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would certainly feel a lot safer as a UK indian man living in a predominantly indian area, with indian family, shops and religious temples surrounding me than a white hetero male in a mixed community with bugger all to do with my local community besides paying bills to british gas and the council.

I would feel safe anywhere. Would you say you are generally a nervous and scared person?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, not at all. However you do seem nervous of my opinion. Shall I put it through a PC translator for you so you can sleep better tonight?
  • KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Treating groups this way isn't the way to deal with inequality. If one group is highly privileged, that doesn't mean that the individuals in that group who are short on resources, ill, or regularly mistreated by others in that group if not by others outside of it, are fine.
  • Kyle_TKyle_T Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every group gets a shitty deal in some areas of life, even white, hetero men like myself. To suggest we are at the bottom of the pile though? That's just stupid.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, not at all. However you do seem nervous of my opinion. Shall I put it through a PC translator for you so you can sleep better tonight?

Is a PC translator someone employed by the Met Police when dealing with the disproportionate Stop & Search routinely directed at working-class young black males?? :o:p
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Real inequality is socioeconomic. The rich are the ones that get the best educations in expensive private schools and top universities, where they make establishment connections with other rich people and then spend years getting experience by working in unpaid internships.

When you get to that level, superficial differences like race, sexuality and gender, are pretty much nothing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Women still get paid less than men in some professions. That crosses the man part out.

And as for sexuality, heterosexual men don't have to worry about their safety because of their preference, heterosexuality is the norm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kyle_T wrote: »
    Every group gets a shitty deal in some areas of life, even white, hetero men like myself. To suggest we are at the bottom of the pile though? That's just stupid.

I agree. We all do to some extent.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'victim' industry is very protective of its membership. Couple that with the general trend of 'institutionalised' misandry which is so fashionable these days, and I think the response to the O.P.'s question pretty much demonstrates that despite being the new 'original sin', it's unlikely to be understood by those with little capacity for independent thought.

Perhaps when some of the posters above have matured a little, and have shaken off their programming... ;-)
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    No, I just happen to recognise the fact that social class is a far more important factor than race or gender when it comes to inequality. :)

Good answer. I assume that's why response. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »
    The 'victim' industry is very protective of its membership. Couple that with the general trend of 'institutionalised' misandry which is so fashionable these days, and I think the response to the O.P.'s question pretty much demonstrates that despite being the new 'original sin', it's unlikely to be understood by those with little capacity for independent thought.

Perhaps when some of the posters above have matured a little, and have shaken off their programming... ;-)

Super post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darkisland wrote: »

Lets get rid of the 'programming' the Patriarchy has inflicted on you first ;)
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Real inequality is socioeconomic. The rich are the ones that get the best educations in expensive private schools and top universities, where they make establishment connections with other rich people and then spend years getting experience by working in unpaid internships.

When you get to that level, superficial differences like race, sexuality and gender, are pretty much nothing.

This is the truth. Everything else is a distraction that can only benefit those who 'have' as the 'have nots' turn on each other.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not something that I fret about :)
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone experiences personal inequality and victimisation at least once in their life and as the WHM represents a majority then of course they are going to think they are the most hard done by.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Everyone experiences personal inequality and victimisation at least once in their life and as the WHM represents a majority then of course they are going to think they are the most hard done by.

Web Host Managers?? Despicable bunch! :o :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    Web Host Managers?? Despicable bunch! :o :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Should go back to their own country!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

However often I read this post I can't make any sense of it. I see that UK Indian men might like to live near Indian shops and temples/ gurwaras, but what is the 'bugger all to do with your local community' that you suffer from? There are, for example, no places in Britain that do not have churches. Or pubs. Or shops. I live near Southall, which has one of the biggest concentrations of UK INdian people in the UK, and it has churches, golf clubs, a wide range of ordinary UK shops, parks, cricket teams....I can't really see that white, heterosexual men have anything to complain about. It is not like being the only Indian origin person in a Welsh village, is it? And even if it was, almost every tv channel, radio station, newspaper etc is awash with white men; so at least white men can feel part of the mainstream.
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In some ways yes but in most ways no I would think.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I am still not sure what inequality this WHM group experiences - can someone enlighten me?
  • GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    I am still not sure what inequality this WHM group experiences - can someone enlighten me?

Look up the educational performance of white males from poor backgrounds.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Look up the educational performance of white males from poor backgrounds.

How is that a result of unequal treatment though - is someone saying that WHM should not get as good an education as other groups?

Its important, if you want to solve a problem (such as boys performing less well in school for example) to understand the causes of it. Does it only affect straight white boys? Is it an artifact of poverty? Are lessons not being designed to meet the needs of different groups? Is any of this deliberate, based on prejudice?

I am more than happy to go to the barricades to oppose inequality for any group in society, but I really want to understand if it is real and what is driving it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need petitions. 2015 goals. Let's aim to get at least A FEW white heterosexual men into the House of Lords, the House of Commons, and onto a few company boards this coming year. Let's see more men stuck in single parent poverty traps. EQUALITY FOR THE MENZZZZ!
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The least equal to whom?