Why do people eat such disgusting for at Christmas?

The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
Forum Member
✭✭
Turkey. The cheapest meat you can buy. Dry as a piece of sandpaper, little flavour, cheap meat alternative to chicken. Apart from Christmas it's only ever eaten when people either can't afford chicken or want to save money so shove it in a curry where it's easy to disguise it's total lack of taste and difficult to tell what you're eating. If it's so nice then how come for the majority of the year people eat chicken or beef?

Mince pies. Horrible things. You need to wash them down with a gallon of fluid because they're so dry they make your to lip stick up and cold pastry is just discussing and it sticks to the roof of your mouth. You can buy these all year round but most people don't. Not surprising really.

Mulled wine. Tastes like cheap red wine that's gone sour that someone has thrown a load of cinnamon in to it to disguise how horrible it is but hasn't actually made it any more palatable. Another Christmas drink that you can buy or make all year round but once Christmas is finished nobody is seen dead drinking the stuff.

Brussel Sprouts. Nasty bitter tasting things which most people serve aldente or in other words, not cooked. I don't know anyone who actually likes them and all they do is give you chronic wind and stinky farts.

Christmas pudding. Like mince pies but without the pastry. Again you need a gallon of custard to get it down your throat and disguise some of the disgusting flavour. It's like eating spiced clay. Some sick bastards put brandy sauce on it which in itself is the devil's sperm. I fail to see how that would make it any more palatable.

Egg not or advocaat. Truly revolting egg yolk based drink that resembles drinking your own saliva.

Baileys. Like drinking coldn milky coffee that sometimes just tipped a vodka in it, only if that really was the case you'd triple the alcohol content. One of the few alcoholic drinks that you can give the kids all night and they will never get so much as tipsy. Why do people drink this stuff?

Bowls filled with walnuts. Again, never at any other time of year would you be arsed to sit there cracking these things open and making a right mess all over the place just so you can nibble on a dry unsalted bit of squirrel food. Surely it's a lot easier to just buy a nice bag of peanuts or cashews. The fact that these things always get thrown away after Christmas because nobody bothers to eat them is a good indicator of how much people actually like them.

Why on Earth do people eat and drink such disgusting stuff at Christmas? If this stuff was so delicious then how come you never see anyone eating or drinking it at any other time of year?

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well mainly I guess because some of those foods you name are delicious, sprouts are a well loved vegetable here we don't wait for Christmas to eat them they are an all year veg using frozen ones when we can't get fresh ones, my mince pies are generally considered best most people have tried and they come back for seconds, again my Christmas pudding is lovely, nuts we eat all year too, baileys and advocaat not for me but many people love them, turkey though I agree we don't do turkey none of like it but I am sure many do or they wouldn't be buying them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I love roasted Brussel sprouts. They go deliciously sweet and gorgeous. Not bitter at all. It stand to reason though, if you boil a pan of sprouts for an hour, they're not going to taste very nice whatever you do to them afterwards.

I am partial to a bit of Bailey's over the winter period, but strangely don't touch the stuff any other time of year. What's not to like about a creamy whiskey combination?

I completely agree about all the rest. Turkey resembles the sole of a well worn slipper to me, and mince pies are the work of the devil.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How are you people cooking your turkey? I have never had a turkey that was "dry as a piece of sandpaper, little flavour".

Not sure you are making/buying mince pies and Christmas pudding right either.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    People have different tastes in food. What one person finds disgusting, someone else loves.

End of thread.
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Here's my contribution to this miserable thread.

You're not cooking your Turkey right if it's dry and tasteless.

I adore sprouts and eat them all year round when I can.

Baileys is very much alcoholic and certainly gets you drunk. It's lovely over ice and equally as nice served warm. It's not made with vodka either btw.

Mulled wine is delicious.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Turkey. The cheapest meat you can buy. Dry as a piece of sandpaper, little flavour, cheap meat alternative to chicken. Apart from Christmas it's only ever eaten when people either can't afford chicken or want to save money so shove it in a curry where it's easy to disguise it's total lack of taste and difficult to tell what you're eating. If it's so nice then how come for the majority of the year people eat chicken or beef?

Brussel Sprouts. Nasty bitter tasting things which most people serve aldente or in other words, not cooked. I don't know anyone who actually likes them and all they do is give you chronic wind and stinky farts.

Conclusion: OP, or whoever does the cooking for him, is not a very good cook.
  • CherumanCheruman Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just as others have said, all those items you mention are delicious if cooked properly.

Agree with you on Eggnog though, horrible stuff.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    I hate the adverts at the moment, corpses all over the place with grinning idiots serving them, who in their right mind would eat half of the stuff on offer? a bird in a bird in a bird?? WHY????
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    I hate the adverts at the moment, corpses all over the place with grinning idiots serving them, who in their right mind would eat half of the stuff on offer? a bird in a bird in a bird?? WHY????

I am reminded of the turturkeykey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkqXBLS4hYw

Although a bird in a bird in a bird would be a turturturkeykeykey
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I have sprouts all year, they are not bitter.
    Turkey is not dry if cooked properly.
    Baileys Is delicious over ice and is drunk all year as far as I know.
    Mince pies are not dry when eaten with cream.

I'm really not surprised by this miserable thread. Always one to spew his hatred to someone, something, or somewhere. Bet it's a Merry Christmas in The Wizard household.

2shy, we tried a five bird roast the other week. Was nice but I couldn't distinguish between the meats and the clementine stuffing was quite overpowering. I wouldn't buy one again I doubt.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I am not fond of turkey. It never used to be traditional. Goose used to be which I don't like either as it is too fatty. We quite often have the choice of several meats over Xmas. I prefer a boiled ham.

Mince pies are only dry if they are shop brought. I can make very light and tasty mince pies.

Baileys I am not fond of.

Walnuts tend to be rather old fashioned. I am not fond of nuts. Although maybe a nice pistacchio ice cream once in the summer.

I adore brussel sprouts. I have them several times a year I love making them holy on Christmas Eve with the little crosses.

Christmas pudding I have to buy tiny ones as one big one is too much but a little one is just right and I like to make my own custard.

Mulled wine I can do without. Not something I have tried but then it is alcohol and I am not fond of it.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »

I suppose it is easier to cook and have a choice of 3 different meats and save space. Mind you, I don't like duck or turkey.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not fond of turkey. It never used to be traditional. Goose used to be which I don't like either as it is too fatty. We quite often have the choice of several meats over Xmas. I prefer a boiled ham.

Mince pies are only dry if they are shop brought. I can make very light and tasty mince pies.

Baileys I am not fond of.

Walnuts tend to be rather old fashioned. I am not fond of nuts. Although maybe a nice pistacchio ice cream once in the summer.

I adore brussel sprouts. I have them several times a year I love making them holy on Christmas Eve with the little crosses.

Christmas pudding I have to buy tiny ones as one big one is too much but a little one is just right and I like to make my own custard.

Mulled wine I can do without. Not something I have tried but then it is alcohol and I am not fond of it.
    Funny you should say that I was looking at sizes in Tesco and was amazed their individual one person size was the size I make for two people ! Their larger family ones I would only make if we had 15 or more coming to dinner ! Such huge portions I thought !
  • sy278sy278 Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turkey. The cheapest meat you can buy. Dry as a piece of sandpaper, little flavour, cheap meat alternative to chicken.

Nonsense, it is considerably more expensive than Chicken, at any time of year, and has far more flavour then chicken. Also, if its cooked properly it is not dry.
    Mince pies. Horrible things. You need to wash them down with a gallon of fluid because they're so dry they make your to lip stick up and cold pastry is just discussing and it sticks to the roof of your mouth.

More nonsense, considering the amount of fluid and juice from the fruits - very unlikely to be dry and none of the ones I have are dry.

Bitter?? Have you ever actually tried them?!?!
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    I suppose it is easier to cook and have a choice of 3 different meats and save space. Mind you, I don't like duck or turkey.

It just sounds and looks so damn freaky though!
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be at my mum's for Christmas dinner this year and as always her turkey will be delicious, moist and tender, with beautiful Brussel sprouts and all the rest. You, or whoever cooks, are clearly not doing it right.

Cheap mince pies are awful but invest a little more to get truly tasty ones.

A good mulled wine is a true pleasure and a real festive delight.

A decent Christmas pudding helps round of the meal, along with some chocolates and another glass of wine.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brussels certainly used to be bitter. Like aubergines, it seems to have been bred out of them since my '70s childhood. They still need careful cooking mind.
    Turkey also needs careful cooking and needs to be quality. Hence if eating out I avoid it. TBH I do prefer a decent chicken or duck.
    Mince pies, xmas pud and mulled wine - again they need to be decent quality else they are pretty foul. I'd rather something lighter than xmas pud so I can leave room for plenty of cheese 'n port:D
    I think with mulled wine its like cooking with wine - if the wine's too nasty to drink, don't cook or mull it!
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't eat meat - don't like Christmas Pudding - Hate Baileys and Eggnog - can take or leave mince pies BUT I adore Brussel Sprouts, my favourite veg and have eaten them 3 times this week already.
    I do cook all the above for other people and never had any complaints, serve with a couple of bottles of nice wine. That is what Christmas Dinner is all about.
  • Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll echo the sentiments of other FMs by suggesting that the OP has an acquired taste and is a fussy eater.
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people find one or more of these foods delicious. Enough so that they eat them, all except the Christmas pudding, year round. But they are not compulsory and you are well within your rights to eat a festive pizza if that's your preference, you ray of sunshine, you.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mince pies. Horrible things. You need to wash them down with a gallon of fluid because they're so dry they make your to lip stick up and cold pastry is just discussing and it sticks to the roof of your mouth. You can buy these all year round but most people don't. Not surprising really.

Mulled wine. Tastes like cheap red wine that's gone sour that someone has thrown a load of cinnamon in to it to disguise how horrible it is but hasn't actually made it any more palatable. Another Christmas drink that you can buy or make all year round but once Christmas is finished nobody is seen dead drinking the stuff.

Christmas pudding. Like mince pies but without the pastry. Again you need a gallon of custard to get it down your throat and disguise some of the disgusting flavour. It's like eating spiced clay. Some sick bastards put brandy sauce on it which in itself is the devil's sperm. I fail to see how that would make it any more palatable.

Egg not or advocaat. Truly revolting egg yolk based drink that resembles drinking your own saliva.

Baileys. Like drinking coldn milky coffee that sometimes just tipped a vodka in it, only if that really was the case you'd triple the alcohol content. One of the few alcoholic drinks that you can give the kids all night and they will never get so much as tipsy. Why do people drink this stuff?

Bowls filled with walnuts. Again, never at any other time of year would you be arsed to sit there cracking these things open and making a right mess all over the place just so you can nibble on a dry unsalted bit of squirrel food. Surely it's a lot easier to just buy a nice bag of peanuts or cashews. The fact that these things always get thrown away after Christmas because nobody bothers to eat them is a good indicator of how much people actually like them.

Why on Earth do people eat and drink such disgusting stuff at Christmas? If this stuff was so delicious then how come you never see anyone eating or drinking it at any other time of year?

:D:D:D I agree!
  • rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's because Christmas is a religion and it compels them to do so.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP needs to magic up a cookery book and learn some skills if his food is that bad.
  • boniverboniver Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say I agree with the OP even though it does sound a bit miserable! :)
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you watch ' Mary Berry's absolute Christmas favourites ' tonight on BBC 2 ? If not, get the cook in your household to watch it on I-player. She cooked a Turkey crown, Brussels sprouts with pancetta and chestnuts, mince pies and mulled wine - all the things you're moaning about ! They were easy recipes and looked totally scrumptious.