Dr Who fan-speak

13»

Comments

• Dr TheteDr Thete Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It just reads to me as somebody who is bitter at people who don't love the show as much as he does.

Oh don't be so silly. They are intended for a bit of cathartic fun. A lot of them are self deprecating (taking the piss out of our own stock phrases as well as those of others - and it's very much equal opportunities piss taking.

Not an ounce of bitterness in the thread they come from.
    You can always spot the real hardcore Doctor Who fans because they tend to accuse other people of being fans if they are critical in some way of their number one show.
    As though being a fan of something is a bad thing.

You should see the ones Keith produced aimed at himself...! :)
    You can always spot a dedicated Doctor Who fan because even in that long piece where he distances himself from the 'fan' label, he's actually referring to Doctor Who information and trivia which I haven't even got a fricking clue about.

How can someone miss the point so spectacularly?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yoonix wrote: »
    What's funny, and quite telling, is the amount of negative comments encountered on OG, as showcased on that site. The anti-criticism "explanations" are neither here nor there - anyone could knock that kind of thing up to mock either point of view.

That's fans for you. A lot of passion - positive and negative.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    nate1970 wrote: »
    I know what you mean, but I think it's an issue of 'weight': there was 30+ years of "excellent, wonderful, perfect" Who, and now there's been 3 years of "rubbish, childish" Who. (I don't subscribe to either view.) I think the 30+ outweighs the 3; imagine if you're married for 30 blissful years, but then you have 3 woeful ones - you might want to keep trying, keep hoping it'll be alright!

Me and the missus are like this with Eastenders - we haven't liked Eastenders for YEARS, but we still sit down and watch it, 4 times a week, and complain all the way through it! :D I suppose it's some sort of ritual now.

You can always liven things up by playing the Eastenders 'Family' game. Simply predict how many minutes they'll get into an episode before someone uses the word "Family"; whoever was closest with their time wins. Extra points if you predict someone swiping all of the objects off a mantlepiece or sideboard when they reach breaking point...

By the way, does anyone else think that some posts in this thread have made it a self-fulfilling prophecy?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    "How can someone miss the point so spectacularly?"

Bugger! I've been rumbled... ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yoonix wrote: »
    "How can someone miss the point so spectacularly?"

Bugger! I've been rumbled... ;)

Well... there's no need to be like that about it...!
    By Jove he's got it...! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Haha that was funny to read

especailly the new series section lots of that I thought sounded like stuff I have read and seen in here

“I, for one, will not be watching next week...”
    I, for one, will definitely be watching next week. And, moaning about the episode in the Rate thread at least five minutes before the end...

“I want Sally Sparrow to be the next companion/ the Ice Warriors in Season Four/ An explanation of the Time War/ Paul McGann to come back/ A sequel to Mawdryn Undead...”
    I want a pony! Please, please, please, Santa, can I have a pony? Pleeeeeaassseeeeee?

“RTD cannot write to save his life.”
    I have never seen anything else that Russell Davies has ever written apart from Doctor Who. Didn’t he write something about poufs? I wouldn’t watch that. I’m not gay, I’m straight, me. Have I mentioned, recently, that I’m straight? Because, I am. Totally.

“RDT is DESTROYING the show with his GAY AGENDA and FORCED HUMOUR.”
    I keep dreaming about bare-chested sailors rubbing baby oil on themselves and I'm really quite worried about it. Because I’m straight, do you hear? Straight! Completely straight!
  • JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ianx wrote: »
    What Dr Who fans say, and what they really mean:

http://keithtopping.blogspot.com/2007/07/well-its-been-right-funny-old-week-to.html

Of course not on THIS board, oh no, not here....

Post of the decade...in fact, I think I may be in love with you...pass the vodka to the next step down :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Oh that was hilarious! And if I knew who the OP was I probably would want to flatter him/her! I'm guilty of quite a few of those myself :)

A pox on all the floccinaucinihilipilificationists!
  • bigheatherbigheather Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twinkle42 wrote: »
    I was lurking around these forums before I became a member and the people who used the phrase "deus ex machina" always made me go :rolleyes:.

The use of that phrase had much the same affect on me. If someone manages to shoehorn in "deus ex machina" "cannon" "jump the shark" and now "bovvered" they'd have the perfect clichéd DW post
  • RodaramaRodarama Posts: 2,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved that blog, I've been so guilty of using some of those...:o
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :D we are all so very guilty :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overall, and having finally take the time to read through that link, I have to agree with Alrightmate in post #4.

I think I can paraphrase that blog entry as:
    • "I critise Dr Who"
      You are wrong/closet homosexual/need to get out more/don't know anything.

• "I know some things about Dr Who"
      No you don't. And if you do, I know more. Me. Mememe.

Utterly supercilious, massively egocentric of the original author, and using the same joke repeatedly.

It's this kind of passive/aggressive blogging that makes me dislike berks like Maddox rather less.

It's July. We just had hail in Nottingham.

Bastards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Histeria wrote: »
    Overall, and having finally take the time to read through that link, I have to agree with Alrightmate in post #4.

I think I can paraphrase that blog entry as:
    • "I critise Dr Who"
      You are wrong/closet homosexual/need to get out more/don't know anything.
    • "I know things about Dr Who"
      No you don't. And if you do, I know more. Me. Mememe.

Utterly supercilious, massively egocentric of the original author, and using the same joke repeatedly.

It's this kind of passive/aggressive blogging that makes me dislike berks like Maddox rather less.

It's July. We just had hail in Nottingham.

Bastards.

I read the blog and think it is the work of a supercilious, massively egocentric author.
    I read the blog and somehow failed to grasp that it is the compiled work of many people and takes affectionate, cathartic aim at *all* segments of Who fandom, including taking aim at ourselves, with equal glee.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Errr... Umm.... Is it too late to pluralise my post?

I know I left my coat around here somewhere.

Stoopid opening paragraph shenanigans.

Did I mention the hail?

In July?

Exactly.
  • The SlugThe Slug Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bigheather wrote: »
    The use of that phrase had much the same affect on me. If someone manages to shoehorn in "deus ex machina" "cannon" "jump the shark" and now "bovvered" they'd have the perfect clichéd DW post
    You forgot "shoehorned in". :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    falling through time and temporal shift....
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Histeria wrote: »
    Errr... Umm.... Is it too late to pluralise my post?

I know I left my coat around here somewhere.

Stoopid opening paragraph shenanigans.

Did I mention the hail?

In July?

Exactly.

had it here too-now it's totally pouring down and thundering.
    stupid weather.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    falling through time and temporal shift....
    Do you realise bigheather was talking about DS posts, not DW scripts? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Slug wrote: »
    Do you realise bigheather was talking about DS posts, not DW scripts? :D

i know. i am the one who moans when it is used as a plot device....;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i know. i am the one who moans when it is used as a plot device....;)
    Good, I was worried that a dangerous amount of irony was building up in the forum. :)