Am I being unreasonable?

Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
Forum Member
✭✭
To not want the Doctor to be female, gay, American, black, Chinese, a dwarf, a ten-year-old, any combination of them, a person in a coma who dreamed the entire thing or anything else that people might come up with? If nothing else, DW is doing fine as it is so why risk ruining it? I'd rather see interesting other characters who are those things, well except the last one because that's just stupid. :D
(Fun thread, argue in the other one please :p)

Is this unreasonable? 90 votes

Yes
17% 16 votes
No
54% 49 votes
Slightly
12% 11 votes
Other
3% 3 votes
What do you think this is, Mumsnet?!
12% 11 votes

Comments

• Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marlon Brando had a good idea about how he should have played Supermans dad as a hovering glowing green bagel. Maybe the next doctor could be a food of some kind.
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm... I can see some potential for a 10 year old Bostonian lesbian of mixed parentage with GHD who awakes from a coma... Why? Have you heard a rumour that RTD is returning to the fold?
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pob-Bundy wrote: »
    Marlon Brando had a good idea about how he should have played Supermans dad as a hovering glowing green bagel. Maybe the next doctor could be a food of some kind.
    Yes, but Marlon Brando was probably on crack at the time. :o:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TRT1968 wrote: »
    Hmm... I can see some potential for a 10 year old Bostonian lesbian of mixed parentage with GHD who awakes from a coma... Why? Have you heard a rumour that RTD is returning to the fold?
    No, I've just heard ridiculous suggestions on here and other places. :D
    PS: Before someone says it he's probably not a future male version of River Song either! :eek:
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pob-Bundy wrote: »
    Marlon Brando had a good idea about how he should have played Supermans dad as a hovering glowing green bagel.

I thought that was how he did play it! :eek: :confused:
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I don't want the Doctor to be female either. He doesn't need to be.

I don't care about race as long as we have a good actor playing him.

The Doctor isn't gay but he isn't straight either. If he had a sexuality, I'd say pansexual would be sum it up in a way. But that's a guess, not a suggestion.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not wild about the female idea, but I don think anything should be ruled out without seeing it in action first. I can think of a number of non white actors who would be wonderful in the role and I'd hate to think that they would be ruled out for the colour of their skin.

Personally I've always thought the Doctor's sexuality should be slightly awkward rather than gay, straight etc.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree...
    Except for the coma idea. I think this idea should be implemented immediately.
    Well sort of...you can forget about the whole dreaming thing. Let's just have the Doctor in a coma.
  • nyingynyingy Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted 'no': it's not unreasonable for you to feel this way. Personally, I disagree with your position, as I'd have no problem with the Doctor taking any number of forms, with the proviso that it doesn't detract from the stories. For me, there's little reason why there shouldn't be a black or female doctor, for example - just so long as it doesn't remain too much of an issue beyond the 'regeneration episode'.
    I'd draw the line at a floating bagel, though (apologies to the dough fanciers out there!) :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree...
    Except for the coma idea. I think this idea should be implemented immediately.
    Well sort of...you can forget about the whole dreaming thing. Let's just have the Doctor in a coma.
    That would be fine, I'd probably like it, especially if a failed regeneration is involved. Just not the 'The whole thing has been a dream since 1963' because that would be a giant cop-out. :D:D
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, sadly, you are unreasonable. And you know it too. Best thing you can do is to stop trying to deny it and gather support from other unreasonable people. If you honestly want to break yourself of your entirely unreasonable mindset you need to start by admitting (to yourself) why you needed to create this this thread.

Good luck to you.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    Well, if "Ghostbusters" can have the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, then why not a bagel?

With all those sequins in their eyes, how could they tell you're just a bagel?

:)
  • shortcrustshortcrust Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't see why the doctor couldn't be black. If hair colour can change then why not skin colour?
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shortcrust wrote: »
    I really don't see why the doctor couldn't be black. If hair colour can change then why not skin colour?

I guess it would have been problematic when they used to do historicals — either you'd have to gloss over how we've treated black people for a large run of history or else you'd be straying far outside teatime territory — but it doesn't feel like much of an impediment now.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I don't see why the Doctor couldn't be black, or any particular ethnicity. If he can change his entire appearance, then surely pigmentation of the skin is something only minor to change considering all the other changes he goes through.

I think the Doctor plunders through life without an explicit sexuality, and he doesn't really need one. Relationships with the likes of Rose and River may be inherently heterosexual in nature, but the strength of the character is that he never explicitly says he bats for that team and that team only. The Doctor shouldn't be gay or bisexual, just as he shouldn't be heterosexual. It's more true to form to just see him act awkwardly at the first sign of anything romantic. :D
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shortcrust wrote: »

Did you see Michael Jackson in his later days? Playing around with one's skin color is not a good idea. ;)
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To not want the Doctor to be female, gay, American, black, Chinese, a dwarf, a ten-year-old, any combination of them, a person in a coma who dreamed the entire thing or anything else that people might come up with? If nothing else, DW is doing fine as it is so why risk ruining it? I'd rather see interesting other characters who are those things, well except the last one because that's just stupid. :D
    Apart from the ones in bold, I honestly wouldn't mind much of these.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this thread is becoming sensible... never mind spoiler tags we need spoof tags!

but I think that the doctor should be

a real doctor!
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    I see the Doctor as a male character. Beyond that, I don't mind what age, race, sexual orientation or nationality he is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Baker famously wanted a talking cabbage as a companion.

I don't really mind what the Doctor is as long as it's back by brilliant ideas, rather than something to resort to when they've run out of them.
    Forum Member
    Looks like we all have different opinions about what constitutes essential "Doctor-iness". For example, I'm sanguine about a female Doctor, but I would not want a different nationality. For me British quirkiness and eccentricity are part of, if not the Doctor himself, the show overall.

For an example, compare and contrast "Sherlock" with "Elementary". "Sherlock", although transplanted to the modern era, is still Sherlock Holmes, whereas "Elementary" is not much different from any "standard" US crime-based drama.

Maybe you could consider the Doctor as a creature who presents themselves to the characters in a familiar way. British to British companions and when in Britain.

If he had adventures in the US more often, maybe he could be American. :eek: (but it would be a completely different show for an American audience).
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've got no problem with the Doctor being played by a Black or Asian actor, though it should be because the actor is right, not just to have a token Black Doctor, that would be patronising and counter-productive.

I really don't see the need for a Female Doctor though, For one I wouldn't want to see hordes of transvsestite fanboys posting pictures of themselves dressed as her.

As for a Dwarf ..... that Doctor's a long way down the line yet ;)
  • ukgnomeukgnome Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the second doctor was forced to regenerate, one of the faces he could choose was a black persons - but no, a female doctor is a step too far.
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    Looks like we all have different opinions about what constitutes essential "Doctor-iness". For example, I'm sanguine about a female Doctor, but I would not want a different nationality. For me British quirkiness and eccentricity are part of, if not the Doctor himself, the show overall.

For an example, compare and contrast "Sherlock" with "Elementary". "Sherlock", although transplanted to the modern era, is still Sherlock Holmes, whereas "Elementary" is not much different from any "standard" US crime-based drama.

Maybe you could consider the Doctor as a creature who presents themselves to the characters in a familiar way. British to British companions and when in Britain.

If he had adventures in the US more often, maybe he could be American. :eek: (but it would be a completely different show for an American audience).

Lots of planets have a north...
    Forum Member
    ... he was probably fighting the Nestene Consciousness in Carlisle just before he met Rose.

:)

And it's about more than just the accent. ;)