Male Companion For Series 8

Comments

• Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Can't unedit the thread but yeah, it was a question though.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he is a cool as Jack or as sweet as Rory I would like another man around the tardis.
    AD did a really good job especially in AGMGTW and TGWW last year. Only thing that really bugged me were all his "deaths". He even half joked about and then died twice more in his last episode!. Least he got to be with Amy and see his daughter one last time. RIP the last centurian.
    Forum Member
    I'd like him to be as good/interesting as Jack and Rory but different to both of them.
    Forum Member
    Maybe introduce him in the first episode of Series 8 as a guest, then bring him back for episodes 6-14 with a mission/storyline of his own but he travels with Eleven and Clara to acheive it maybe.
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've made a thread on my thoughts of a male companion if you want to have a look.
    Forum Member
    I have and I commented too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Id love a male companion would be awsme if it was luke smith (sarah jane's son) think it would be intresting to see him and the doc together and could use it to invole the goodbye of the awsome sarah ='[
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think, if we aren't blessed with jack, we should have a shyer male companion who sort of just gets involved accidently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Stephen Wight? I think he should do something in the show one day.
  • bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    I think, if we aren't blessed with jack, we should have a shyer male companion who sort of just gets involved accidently.

Wasn't that basically Rory at the beginning of S5? :confused: Incredibly reluctant and only got involved by virtue of Amy. Extremely shy, even towards the end, it would just feel a bit samey if that was done again...

I wouldn't mind another male companion, but that description would just seem like another Rory. If the shyness was just one fact then that's ok, but one that wants to be involved as a form of escape from something would make it different enough for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    I want to be the new companion!!!!! :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbll22 wrote: »
    Wasn't that basically Rory at the beginning of S5? :confused: Incredibly reluctant and only got involved by virtue of Amy. Extremely shy, even towards the end, it would just feel a bit samey if that was done again...

I wouldn't mind another male companion, but that description would just seem like another Rory. If the shyness was just one fact then that's ok, but one that wants to be involved as a form of escape from something would make it different enough for me.

But Rory, for me seemed more confused at first rather than shy and please don't get me wrong, I thought Rory was fantastic. But I think the new one could be quite shy, maybe a little bit scared and when he gets involved with the doctor and Clara his character develops, the doctor helps him overcome fears, shyness etc. Then him and the doctor can become quite matey, like him and Rory but without any silly arguments. I think Rory got a little too angry at the doctor sometimes.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They could use those twins out of Harry Potter, that would be funny:D

The Doctor- Which one are you, twin 1 or twin 2?
    Twin 1- Twin 1, can't you tell?
    Clara- He's the smooth one
    Twin 2- I'm the cool one
    The Doctor- Bow ties are cool
    Clara- I agree but you really need to get a new shirt, it clashes
    The Doctor- clashes, where?
    Clara- With my new dress, see.(Clara points at bow tie, then points back at dress)

:D
  • bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    But Rory, for me seemed more confused at first rather than shy and please don't get me wrong, I thought Rory was fantastic. But I think the new one could be quite shy, maybe a little bit scared and when he gets involved with the doctor and Clara his character develops, the doctor helps him overcome fears, shyness etc. Then him and the doctor can become quite matey, like him and Rory but without any silly arguments. I think Rory got a little too angry at the doctor sometimes.

I always perceived Rory to be shy, confused and a bit scared of everything after meeting the Doctor. It seemed the most natural a companion has ever been to me in Nu-Who. I'd be like that. I think his and the Doctor's arguements were understandably over Amy for a good while before it became matey banter if you like. He got angry because however good everything was and how much he was enjoying it, Rory never wanted to be there.

I still think even with your added description of your way of developing a new male companion, it just strike of Rory to me. Sorry, but it just does to me.

However much I loved Rory as a character, I don't want another one....not just yet anyway...:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbll22 wrote: »
    I always perceived Rory to be shy, confused and a bit scared of everything after meeting the Doctor. It seemed the most natural a companion has ever been to me in Nu-Who. I'd be like that. I think his and the Doctor's arguements were understandably over Amy for a good while before it became matey banter if you like. He got angry because however good everything was and how much he was enjoying it, Rory never wanted to be there.

I still think even with your added description of your way of developing a new male companion, it just strike of Rory to me. Sorry, but it just does to me.

However much I loved Rory as a character, I don't want another one....not just yet anyway...:p

Sorry, I'm finding it really hard to describe him. The character I've got in my head (who now looks like Stephen Wight) is different to Rory, I just need to put it into words :(

I might write a character description/bio for him then post it on here
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    Maybe they could bring back Adric?

Adric died, a new fresh face all bright eyes and bushy tail
    with a sence of initiative, once a course of action is chosen.
    Cautious, yet brave intelligent and bold from determination.
    Like Ian Chesterton and Jaimy McCrimon were, maybe a hydrid of the 2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    think it should be a bit of a geek wich would make it perfect for luke smith or new person all together if not a man maby rita from god complex she was cute
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Character (played by Stephen Wight in my head)

A little bit shy but very curious this ignites his friendship with the Doctor and Clara.*
    He's in his late 20's*
    He's quite intelligent but he picks things up and learns quickly.
    He's just quit his job because he feels it's not right for him.*
    He is very lonely.*
    His loneliness is one of the key reasons to bonding with them so quickly.

(insert name - i'll just call him steve) leaves his job. He makes his way home and on the way he picks up some coffee. Whilst he's in the shop he spots something peculiar outside. He just assumed he imagined it and goes and briefly sits on a bench. He's about to leave but a young pretty girl *comes and sits by him. She questions him on his surroundings and recents events. At first he's confused. Who is this girl and why was she talking to him? Shyly he replies with "I'm not from round here very long, I can't help you sorr-" A mans voice shouts from just a few metres a way. He was attending to a wonderfully strange blue box.*

"I've got it working again, Clara!" Said the man as he walked over to them. He then says something very clever and technical that Clara seems to understand. She calls him Doctor.

The Doctor asks Clara who her 'friend' is and she looks at him. Almost immediately he says "umm, Steve. I'm Steve."*
    "Right then Steve, have you...?"
    The Doctor goes on to ask him if he's seen anything weird in the past 12 hours. He tells him what he saw. The doctor thanked Steve and claims he may have help save a lot of lives.

The Doctor and Clara both make their way into the tiny box. Intrigued, Steve follows them in. He looks up then around in shock. "It's b..bbigger on the inside!"*
    "Yes and you shouldn't have seen it!"
    Replies the Doctor."*
    Pointing at the door Steve says "Sorry. I just walked in I didn't.." he doesn't finish. "How does it work? It's..."*
    "impossible?" suggests Clara. *
    "No, it's amazing!" He said.*

The Doctor says they make use of him now he's here. Steve starts to protest (in a 'I ought to be getting home' way) but the doors shut and the doctor does a cheerful enthusiastic laugh. He welcomes him along on their mission to fix what's happened.*

At some point in the episode Steve has to help save the life of either the Doctor or Clara and when he does, it proves to the doctor that he could be a good companion.

Near the end of the episode the Doctor asks Steve what he thinks.*
    "About what?" he asks. The doctor then goes on to talk about how they can see the whole of time and space, and go anywhere and anytime they wanted.*

He takes the offer and become a companion.

Sorry if it's written a little bit weirdly. It's late and I did it on my phone which is quite difficult. I'm not saying this is how his episode should go, it's just the best I could come up with at the moment.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like that, a lot, Clara isn't sure, the Doctor isn't sure but gives Steve a chance.

Clara-Steve,You may have to show what you can do, you can do something can't you?
    Steve- I can bake a cake, my mother taught me how to....
    The Doctor- It's my birthday soon
    Clara- You can bake a cake for The Doctor, I can do tricks, magic ones of course, marshamallow.:D.
    The Doctor- Good, that's what it's all about, fun, those were the days and we need candles for my cake.
    Steve- We need eggs
    Clara- eggs?
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show doesn;t need a male companion. Rory was cool and Jack worked/works as a recurring character but I still prefer the Tardis team as a simple male/female partnership.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    ryanr554 wrote: »
    They should just get Jack back full time to be honest. If there is going to be no torchwood for a while, Jack needs to return to Dr Who.

The problem with Capt Jack, is that John Barrowman is working on the TV series Arrow at this time, and is one of the stabled actors for the series.
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adric died, a new fresh face all bright eyes and bushy tail
    with a sence of initiative, once a course of action is chosen.
    Cautious, yet brave intelligent and bold from determination.
    Like Ian Chesterton and Jaimy McCrimon were, maybe a hydrid of the 2.

Jo Grant's grandson?
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    The show doesn;t need a male companion. Rory was cool and Jack worked/works as a recurring character but I still prefer the Tardis team as a simple male/female partnership.

Can't agree, most of the best times in the show's history have been with at least one male and one female companion, Ian & Barbara (+Susan), Ben & Polly, Jamie & Victoria or Zoe, Sarah Jane & Harry, Rose & Jack (however briefly), Amy & Rory - Amy on her own was too much but Rory added was perfect.
    Granted the rushed 45 minute format isn't ideal for giving adequate time but the balance is so much better with one of each and there are so many possible dynamics and so much scope. As long as if we get another male preferably he's not in love with either the Doctor or the companion, just for another change.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talma wrote: »
    Can't agree, most of the best times in the show's history have been with at least one male and one female companion, Ian & Barbara (+Susan), Ben & Polly, Jamie & Victoria or Zoe, Sarah Jane & Harry, Rose & Jack (however briefly), Amy & Rory - Amy on her own was too much but Rory added was perfect.
    I still see Jack as recurring, rather than as a companion. And as much as I liked Rory, I still would have preferred if we'd had just Amy for the last three years. Adding Rory just meant there was another character to try and crowbar some kind of plot around, or alternatively just have him hovering around aimlessly (Amy-lessley:p).

The bottom line is the presence of Rory (or any other Male companion) obviously means we see less of the female companion. And given the show's lead is already a male, do we really need to diminish the one female character's role even more so?

As for old Who, The Doc and Jo, Leela, either Romana, Peri, Ace, Mel... OK maybe not Mel ;) but that simple two character relationship just worked so much better.
    Forum Member
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »

I disagree to an extent. Right now, I'm happy with Eleven and Clara but come, Series 8, I do hope we get one though.
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with Capt Jack, is that John Barrowman is working on the TV series Arrow at this time, and is one of the stabled actors for the series.

Barrowman is probably wary of horses at present :D