Atheros network card

MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just got the Virgin 120Mb double speed upgrade and when doing a speed test through Ethernet I can get the full 120Mb. But when doing the speed test through wireless, I can only get around 50Mb. After looking around I believe (I'm probably wrong) that the problem is somehow to do with the speed of the card showing 65.0Mbps when I have a look at the wireless network connection status. Anyone have any ideas how to get the wireless speed upto 120Mb?

Just to add, I'm pretty sure I've also just updated the latest drivers for the card and I'm running windows 7 and connecting to a Virgin Media Superhub.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like your card might only be b/g compatible it may need to be n.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    check what its set to in the superhub under advanced settings->Wireless Radio
  • MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like your card might only be b/g compatible it may need to be n.

No, it's a wireless n card.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    check what its set to in the superhub under advanced settings->Wireless Radio

2.4ghz - (not all devices support just wireless N in the house so it needs to stay on this) but I did try to change it, it didn't work.

Up to 144Mbps - I did try changing it to 300Mbps but again, it didn't work.

I have a feeling the problem lies with the wireless network connection status saying the speed is 65.0Mbps.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But with wireless will you get the full speed anyway? due to the variables and obstacles in the way of the signal.

I always thought that a wired connection offered a more relaible and better speed than that compared to a wireless signal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    But with wireless will you get the full speed anyway? due to the variables and obstacles in the way of the signal.

I always thought that a wired connection offered a more relaible and better speed than that compared to a wireless signal.

With a wireless N card, there is no reason why I shouldn't get 120Mb. If I was getting 100Mb, I wouldn't be to bothered for the reasons you state, but not 50Mb.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mythica wrote: »
    With a wireless N card, there is no reason why I shouldn't get 120Mb. If I was getting 100Mb, I wouldn't be to bothered for the reasons you state, but not 50Mb.

There are loads of reasons why you might not get 120Mb.

Interference/congestion in the wireless band.
    Other connected devices drawing data.
    Distance/Signal strength from router AP.
    Interoperability/Compatibility between AP and WNIC on a hardware level dependent on Wifi backwards compatibility mode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    There are loads of reasons why you might not get 120Mb.

Interference/congestion in the wireless band.
    Other connected devices drawing data.
    Distance/Signal strength from router AP.
    Interoperability/Compatibility between AP and WNIC on a hardware level dependent on Wifi backwards compatibility mode.

I was more talking on simple levels.

I've tried different wireless channels and some other stuff.

I don't know much about this stuff but again, I get the feeling that the problem lies witht he status of the wireless showing 65.0Mbps.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    Even in idealistic circumstances wireless just isn't suitable for those kind of broadband speeds. Plug in an ethernet cable for best performance, or if for some reason that isn't possible invest in a set of powerline adaptors.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    Even in idealistic circumstances wireless just isn't suitable for those kind of broadband speeds. Plug in an ethernet cable for best performance, or if for some reason that isn't possible invest in a set of powerline adaptors.

I've seen (more read) plenty of reports of people being able to get those speeds through wireless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    I've seen (more read) plenty of reports of people being able to get those speeds through wireless.

What wireless device are you using ?
    Have a look in device manager under Windows 7 and google your wireless adapter for the spec.
    Basic wireless adapters use only 1 antenna/data stream so can only get 65mbps maximum.
    It's also a good idea to check that you're using WPA2-AES encryption as ths will be required to get the higher speeds on a N wireless network.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greyowl wrote: »
    What wireless device are you using ?
    Have a look in device manager under Windows 7 and google your wireless adapter for the spec.
    Basic wireless adapters use only 1 antenna/data stream so can only get 65mbps maximum.
    It's also a good idea to check that you're using WPA2-AES encryption as ths will be required to get the higher speeds on a N wireless network.

It's an Atheros AR9285. I think it is only 1 data stream, so it's the network adapter being stuck on 65.0Mbps that is the problem? How much are better adapters and are they easy to fit in a laptop?

I've changed to that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moving the laptop closer to the superhub improves the speed showing to 150Mbps with a broadband speed of about 85Mb
    Forum Member
    It's an Atheros AR9285. I think it is only 1 data stream, so it's the network adapter being stuck on 65.0Mbps that is the problem? How much are better adapters and are they easy to fit in a laptop?

I've changed to that.

If your laptop has a small cover for the wireless card you can replace it easily. Some require a large base cover of the laptop to be removed while others require access from the top..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QVjgKAmlQw

I use Intel N-6200 wireless cards for laptops with 2 antenna wires ( less than £20 from Amazon ). They should give you at least a 130mbps connection although the actual throughput will be less than that due to packet encryption and range.
    Laptop wireless cards now tend to be half-height so if the laptop only has mounting for full length cards you may need an extender :

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/261222511427?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=63

The simple alternative is a 300N USB adapter which allow up to 130/144mbps when using a single wireless channel.
    Forum Member
    Moving the laptop closer to the superhub improves the speed showing to 150Mbps with a broadband speed of about 85Mb

Using a single data stream in 40Mhz/2-channel mode will increase the speed to "150mbps" but it will conflict with neigbours wireless routers as it will swamp the 2.4Ghz wireless range.
    For example intead of using channel 7 or 11 it will use both and everything inbetween. ( including most of ch6 )
    It's up to you but I personally only use multiple channels on the 5Ghz range which is less crowded and has more channels to use.
    Download the InSSIDer utility if you want to see what happens when you switch between 20/40 Mhz (1/2 channel ) mode. :D

http://www.metageek.net/support/downloads/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greyowl wrote: »
    Using a single data stream in 40Mhz/2-channel mode will increase the speed to "150mbps" but it will conflict with neigbours wireless routers as it will swamp the 2.4Ghz wireless range.
    For example intead of using channel 7 or 11 it will use both and everything inbetween. ( including most of ch6 )
    It's up to you but I personally only use multiple channels on the 5Ghz range which is less crowded and has more channels to use.
    Download the InSSIDer utility if you want to see what happens when you switch between 20/40 Mhz (1/2 channel ) mode. :D

http://www.metageek.net/support/downloads/

Ok thanks for your help.
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it is a single band router, make sure there are no wireless G devices on the network otherwise all N devices will run at G speed.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have noticed that on my Samsung there is an Atheros card built in to it and that only get's about 50 meg download and that would 65Mbps, but when I bought my Acer Aspire v5-571 wireless which also has an Atheros card built into it I am getting around the 75meg and connecting at 144Mbps. This is on an 80 meg BT infinity 2.