Options

Performances that turned it around/won it for the contestants.

goroos1994goroos1994 Posts: 3,889
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Which performances turned it around/won it for each of the winners? I would say:

Leona Lewis - Bridge Over Troubled Water (I think Leona was already the favourite at this point, but this performance strengthened her position in the competition)
Alexandra Burke - Listen (Alexandra was the dark horse at this point in time - she pulled this one out of the bag when she needed to)
Joe McElderry - Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
Matt Cardle - None in particular/Rebecca's (Cheryl's) poor song choices perhaps?
Little Mix - E.T
James Arthur - One?
Sam Bailey - Enough Is Enough

If I haven't mentioned a winner, it means I haven't watched the series in full. Feel free to fill in the gap :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if you want winners from other countries, but Samantha Jade performing 'Heartless' on X Factor Australia. She had been in the bottom two multiple times before that, so she was most definitely an underdog.
  • Options
    MilkitaMilkita Posts: 1,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt Cardle performance of "First Time I Ever Saw Your Face" got judge standing ovation.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought Little Mix's was "Don't Let Go."
  • Options
    Directioner_HazDirectioner_Haz Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    I liked One Direction from the beginning when they were put together but what really made me LOVE them was when they performed Kids In America. I still scream when I hear them sing it now, 4 years later lol
  • Options
    earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goroos1994 wrote: »
    Which performances turned it around/won it for each of the winners? I would say:

Leona Lewis - Bridge Over Troubled Water (I think Leona was already the favourite at this point, but this performance strengthened her position in the competition)
    Alexandra Burke - Listen (Alexandra was the dark horse at this point in time - she pulled this one out of the bag when she needed to)
    Joe McElderry - Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
    Matt Cardle - None in particular/Rebecca's (Cheryl's) poor song choices perhaps?
    Little Mix - E.T
    James Arthur - One?
    Sam Bailey - Enough Is Enough

If I haven't mentioned a winner, it means I haven't watched the series in full. Feel free to fill in the gap :)

Let's Get it On.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona - Summertime

Her first 2 weeks had been OK but she hadn't really connected and was by no means a clear favourite until this performance in week 3.

Little Mix I'd say was Don't Let Go. and James Arthur was Lets Get It On which seemed to turn him into some guilty pleasure heartthrob for a few weeks.

Over The Rainbow (which I think was in the final) was probably what tipped it for Shayne Ward in a very close year.

Not a song as such but Leon being obliterated by Simon in week 1 for his awful performance set him on the road to victory in series 4.

Cardle's "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" was a big bounce back from "Bleeding Love" although that itself followed "Baby One More Time" which arguably pushed him to the front. In truth, I think Cardle, like McElderry before him and Bailey last year, was cruising from early on,
  • Options
    Crabbie123Crabbie123 Posts: 8,478
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    Leona - Summertime

Her first 2 weeks had been OK but she hadn't really connected and was by no means a clear favourite until this performance in week 3.

Little Mix I'd say was Don't Let Go. and James Arthur was Lets Get It On which seemed to turn him into some guilty pleasure heartthrob for a few weeks.

Over The Rainbow (which I think was in the final) was probably what tipped it for Shayne Ward in a very close year.

Not a song as such but Leon being obliterated by Simon in week 1 for his awful performance set him on the road to victory in series 4.

Cardle's "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" was a big bounce back from "Bleeding Love" although that itself followed "Baby One More Time" which arguably pushed him to the front. In truth, I think Cardle, like McElderry before him and Bailey last year, was cruising from early on,

Matt won every week except week one - so he didn't need a bounce back from Bleeding Love, as he won that week too, despite it being Cher's big moment with "Stay". I think it could be argued that his Bootcamp performance of First Time set him on the road to victory. Joe was getting 2nd and 3rds mainly for the first 6 weeks, but came in 1st for the last 4 weeks including the final, so "Don't Let The Sun Go Down" was the song that pushed him to the front. I can't comment on Sam Bailey, as I didn't watch at all last year.
  • Options
    felpcalibasfelpcalibas Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    Little Mix's E.T. showed they weren't just another poor girl band as expected, "Don't Let Go" was their winning performance
  • Options
    earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam Bailey: If the voting figures tell us anything, it's that she was never in the clear and had Nicholas (and eventually Luke) snapping at her heels. Her pulling away had more to do with Luke being out than with any of her performances.

James Arthur: Let's Get it On. After that, he felt like someone who can actually take Maloney down.

Little Mix: Don't Let Go. This landed them at the top of the vote for the first time, and while Amelia Lily topped the following week, it was more due to a bounce rather than broken momentum.

Matt Cardle: He was never really threatened, but you can argue that The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face or Knights in White Satin helped hold the others off for the weeks that came after.

Joe McElderry: Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me. He topped the vote for the first time that week and never looked back. This is probably the clearest example of how a performance can win a series.

Alexandra Burke: Listen (redux). She topped the vote for the first time with the first rendition, but the duet with Beyoncé sealed the deal.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rhydian singing 'Phantom Of The Opera' in week 2. Till the live shows he was seen as a 'villain', but his true potential was shown in week 2 and began to win people over :)

Ray singing 'My Way'. Ben Mills had been bottom 2 in week 7, but Ray with 'My Way' on week 8 was when his vote support really picked up. Ben had a rebound and overtook the McDonalds (who till then had been unstoppable), but not enough to stop Ray :cool:

JLS with 'Umbrella' - the first and only week they topped the vote.

Ruth with 'Purple Rain' - people still talk about that performance :)

EDIT: Those years I was voting for Rhydian, Ray and JLS ;-)
  • Options
    abcdabcd Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    earldbest wrote: »
    [

Matt Cardle: He was never really threatened, but you can argue that The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face or Knights in White Satin helped hold the others off for the weeks that came after..

Yep Knights in white Satin was the performance that sealed the deal for matt, he was never gonna lose after that
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I've only watched two series closely so far.

Sam Bailey - nothing, she and Nick stayed way ahead of the pack all season.
    Little Mix - E.T. is what got them into contention, Don't Let Go won it.
  • Options
    Big PhilBig Phil Posts: 1,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abcd wrote: »
    Yep Knights in white Satin was the performance that sealed the deal for matt, he was never gonna lose after that

Completely agree on this. Loved this performance.

I seem to remember the week he did this was supposed to be a big week for 1D (did they do a slow song or something?) and Matt was possibly nobbled a bit with this choice of song to allow them to come first. Didn't happen though.

Genuinely gutted that Matt hasn't had a better career than he's had. He is brilliant. Outshone and outclassed 1D week after week - it was obvious that Dannii and Cheryl were massive fans of his.
  • Options
    pumpkinlattes33pumpkinlattes33 Posts: 8,326
    Forum Member
    Cher Lloyd - Stay With Me by Shakespeare's Sister