100mb Zip disks

where can i get them cheapest?

cheers :)

Comments

• ABAB Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Well my university IT services sells them for £3.99 each (last time I got one). Probably hard to find them that cheap on the highstreet! I imagine shopping around online would be your best bet, or if you know anyone who goes to university, then it's quite possible that they could buy a subsidised one for you. (Apologies if suggesting such a thing is not acceptable but it's only a Zip Disk!)
  • HamiltonguyHamiltonguy Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    cheers mate, got some today, £7 each though :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • wofflemonkeywofflemonkey Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Ah yes, zip disks! :) One of my all time favorite types of storage medium. I have still got an old zip drive somewhere along with a collection of old zip disks. (Although I can't quite remember what capacity they were).

I wonder if anybody else here has still got a zip drive and zip disks? :confused:
  • RobPyattRobPyatt Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    We had some old zip disks turn up at work last year. We ended up getting an old internal zip disk reader for them.

Wasn't there an MP3 player that used them as storage some years back, or did I imagine that?
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    RobPyatt wrote: »
    We had some old zip disks turn up at work last year. We ended up getting an old internal zip disk reader for them.

Wasn't there an MP3 player that used them as storage some years back, or did I imagine that?

There was a PC software application from IoMega (the ZIP manufacturers) that implemented a compressed music file system on ZIP disks, but it wasn't actually MP3.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a 250MB Zip Drive back in 1999, it was a great device but USB dongles eventually killed it off.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to wonder the logic of reopening a thread that's 8 years old and it's always newbies that do it

Cheeky little blighters.

:D
  • BizzaBizza Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad used to swear by Zip disks, although I seem to remember the drives themselves breaking down with alarming regularity.
  • KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to wonder the logic of reopening a thread that's 8 years old and it's always newbies that do it Cheeky little blighters. :D

Ha ha.... I was reading this thread and about to ask the person (respectfully) *why* they were after Zip discs in this day and age. I mean, I could understand why one might want to read *old* discs with data on them, but.... Then I saw your post! :rolleyes:

I guess that makes this resurrected thread a zombie- but, given the Zip disc's click-of-death notoriety, it's more likely to want to eat your data rather than your braaaaains. ;)

Mind you, even eight years ago they were a dated and declining 90s technology. According to this graph (doesn't include '94-97) they peaked in the late 90s, around the time recordable CDs became affordable. By 2004, pen drives and gigabyte-capacity writable DVDs were around (cf. 100MB Zip disc), but I guess legacy users kept them going...

...but not for *that* long!