Options

Full HD or HD Ready Is there any difference?

marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,874
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm looking at tv's as mine is on the blink. My current one is HD ready and I am happy with the picture. I also have sky HD.

I am unsure if I should go for full HD or HD ready or does it not matter? I read conflicting things.

Comments

• Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot depends on how big your TV is and how far you sit from it.

HD Ready TV's are now quite hard to find except in smaller sizes. Most are now HD-Ready 1080 which have the full 1920 x 1080 pixels anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Full HD mostly only is offered on larger tv's, maybe say 32in and bigger. While most under this size are HD Ready. FullHD sets have a higher resolution so should provide a sharper picture. On a HD picture, this should improve things, and on examples i have seen it does, but beware that SD pictures could look a bit worse than your current HD Ready tv. The extra sharpness shows up even more imperfections in the SD pictures.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what to go for. Mine is a 32 inch at the mo and HD ready. I watch sky HD.

The HD ready are a bit cheaper that full hd from what I've been looking at. But I want the best picture. Am I gonna really notice a difference in my HD channels if I buy full hd?
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Unless you watch a Blu Ray film then anything you watch will be just as good on a HD Ready svcreen so you don't need to pay more for a Full HD unless you are going to get a Full HD source like a Blu Ray player.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I have a bluray player but rarely use it tbh. That's made deciding what to go for a lot easier.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All flat panel display display the pictures progressively.

A full HD panel has 1920*1080 pixel which means that in "pixel mode" or some similar terms it odes not interpolate l the picture being supplied either from the broadcast or via the HDMI lead - thus as there is no (little) processing - it is how the broadcasters /producer intended. (more or less) .
    But say the panel was 1200 by 768 - some compelx maths are needed - and this affects the quality....
    simeple answer go for 1920*1080
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All flat panel display display the pictures progressively.

A full HD panel has 1920*1080 pixel which means that in "pixel mode" or some similar terms it odes not interpolate l the picture being supplied either from the broadcast or via the HDMI lead - thus as there is no (little) processing - it is how the broadcasters /producer intended. (more or less) .
    But say the panel was 1200 by 768 - some compelx maths are needed - and this affects the quality....
    simeple answer go for 1920*1080

Didn't understand a word of that lol
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    depending on your sources (ie dvd / bluray / sky / VM / freeview / games consoles) AND the MHz the picture is processed at .....

the TOSHIBA fullHD only an at 60MHz and had noticable ghosting, however the SAMSUNG HDready i have now runs at 600MHz, giving a much smoother and better picture even on normal SKY!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marieukxx wrote: »
    Didn't understand a word of that lol

I did but I don't totally agree with it. Most HD-Ready TV's have 768 lines but the difference is totally masked by the quality of the display. Add to this some HD is 1440 x 1080 anyway.

A good HD-Ready will have a better picture than a poor full HD display.

Take a HD Ready from a quality make like Sony/Panasonic it will knock the spots off a el cheapo TV like a Tecknika.

My son has an older HD-Ready 40" Bravia, I have an newer full-hd well reviewed Bravia. You have to get really close to the screen to see any difference. Much closer that you would ever want to view from.

Resolution isn't the ultimate standard in picture quality.

The original BBC-HD transmissions at 1440 x 1080 and at a high bitrate will blow you away on the best HD-Ready displays (eg the sadly missed Pioneer Kuros).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    depending on your sources (ie dvd / bluray / sky / VM / freeview / games consoles) AND the MHz the picture is processed at .....

the TOSHIBA fullHD only an at 60MHz and had noticable ghosting, however the SAMSUNG HDready i have now runs at 600MHz, giving a much smoother and better picture even on normal SKY!

No it does not :eek:

600Hz would indicate a frame rate of 12 x 25fps - it doesn't mean the same thing as a 200Hz display.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so the higher the Hz the better?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so the higher the Hz the better?

It depends on the quality of the video processing circuitry. Many don't like the artificial processing of 100Hz and 200Hz TV's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These are what I'm trying to pick from:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE32EH5000-32-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/tech-data/B007JURCH8/ref=de_a_smtd

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-KDL32CX523BU-Widescreen-Internet-Freeview/dp/B004S9DY4I/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=IPLDATXN88I12&colid=1SVA75UCM7DNS

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-32LK450U-32-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B004ZC3LPA/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1339871942&sr=1-3

I want the one that has the best picture. I can't get a bigger screen because it won't fit where it's gotta go. Which is best. I know the sony has the internet thing but that''s not of importance to me. The main thing is quality picture and sound
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've decided to go for this one:

Sony KDL32CX523BU
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    It has a high power consumption but other than that it seems good especially for £300.
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    I've decided to go for this one:

Sony KDL32CX523BU
    Could well be a good choice.

I've got an old 28" JVC widescreen tv and just replacing it now ordered one today.

Been experimenting with my kitchen tv which is a 19" Panasonic Viera with 768 lines (HD ready) and although it does okayish with it's own tuner for SD, the feed from my 1080p boxes when showing SD are poor and blurry.

The same feed via my projector onto a 90" 1080p screen looks much sharper, despite the huge size difference. So I reckon that converting SD to 1080i and then the tv changing it to 768 isn't too good. :)

Dunno what sources you have but 1080 has to be better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decided not to go for the sony due to really bad reviews on the sound quality. Been reading a lot. Yeah full hd is great for watching blurays but for sky hd there won't be a difference as they don't broadcast in full hd anyway. No broadcaster in the UK does.

I don't even use my bluray player anymore, I'm more into streaming on the net and hooking that to my tv. I'm wondering if at around £70 more than hd ready full hd is worth it. I'm still undecided.
  • Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Decided not to go for the sony due to really bad reviews on the sound quality.

If you can find ANY modern tv with decent sound quality then please do tell us.

Most now have tiny hidden speakers due to the obsession with small and slim tv's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProDave wrote: »
    If you can find ANY modern tv with decent sound quality then please do tell us.

Most now have tiny hidden speakers due to the obsession with small and slim tv's.

well on revoo it's got loads of comments saying how bad the sound is, other lcds I've looked at rate as sound ok and no comments on how bad it is. I'm not expecting surround sound quality from a tv but if 50 people comment on how bad the sound is on this model then I listen to that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Decided not to go for the sony due to really bad reviews on the sound quality. Been reading a lot. Yeah full hd is great for watching blurays but for sky hd there won't be a difference as they don't broadcast in full hd anyway. No broadcaster in the UK does.

Why do you say that, most Satellite and now Freeview-HD is 1920 x 1080 (In the case of Freeview it's either 1080i or 1080p25).

The sound is always poor on flat screen TV's as there is no room to fit decent speakers.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah full hd is great for watching blurays but for sky hd there won't be a difference as they don't broadcast in full hd anyway. No broadcaster in the UK does.

Sky HD broadcast in 1080i which IS Full HD resolution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So does ITV CH4 CH5 NHKWorld TV, BBC-HD also when they are playing with 3D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But isn't an HD ready tv 1080i so would make the best of sky hd anyway. A full hd tv is 1080p which sky don't broadcast in
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you say that, most Satellite and now Freeview-HD is 1920 x 1080 (In the case of Freeview it's either 1080i or 1080p25).

The sound is always poor on flat screen TV's as there is no room to fit decent speakers.

Like I said I'm not expecting outstanding sound but when reviews focus on how tinny the sound is that's not good