8-port unmanaged switch for pfsense

djfrancisdjfrancis Posts: 512
Forum Member
✭✭
Recommendations for small 8 port unmanaged switch thats works lovely with pfsense.

LAN Subnet: 172.16.1.1
WAN: Virgin Media's IP
Wireless Card:Subnet 192.168.1.1/24

What Switches NOT to go for name or brands? Also needs to be 100Mbits or 1Gbps is fine as are household using 97/Mbits max during the day but 97/Mbits max is fine.

We dont file share on are network/VNC but we do have gaming consoles (PS3, Wii U, PC on steam) all connected at the sametime.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    as far as i can see you have no special requirements. any 8 port switch should be fine.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing I can think of is you want to create and VLAN / DMZ then you will need a managed layer 2 switch. Though to be honest its cheaper to buy two unmanaged switches.

Aside from that, go for a gigabit device as there is little price difference
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been using a ZyXEL GS108B for the past 18 months or so (was using the 5-port version prior) without problems. It's so solidly built you could probably bash someone's head in with it. ^_^

TP-Link have recently garnered a reputation for decent networking kit at cheap prices. They have an 8-port Gigabit switch too for about £10 less than the ZyXEL. Not sure how it fares on the skull-cracking scale though.
  • djfrancisdjfrancis Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks very much for the recommendations
    Much appreciated! I have just bought an
    Cisco SR224 24-port from ebay for £11 including postage however my understanding is that a managed switch will have VLANs example

VLAN 1 - Home
    VLAN 2 - Study

All i was afther is pfsense (pfSense Open Source Firewall Distribution) abit like ipcop to DHCP lease my Devices on the network with Client IPs on the network for web filter but has to be IP based as i do belive that managed switch will give my pfsense box just one IP for all the traffic on my network (if you dont understand ill try my best to explain sorry) :confused:
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you don't need a managed switch for what you are trying to do unless you want to set a filtered and unfiltered subnets in your house.

I would still have gone with two switches but never mind you have bought something now.