Firefox v31 Out

Comments

• zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The update buggered up on me a bit when it was being applied. I had to close the little window and then try again. Thankfully it was applied okay after the browser restarted.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Auto-updated to v32.0.1 now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    v32.0.2 now :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    details :
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/32.0.2/releasenotes/

there's a couple of interesting changes. The web audio developer looks interesting, although note it needs to be manually switched on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bookmarking still seems a bit broken to me. Hover over the star and it says 'Bookmark this page (Ctrl -D)'. However the star and Ctrl-D do different things - clicking the star sends the bookmark to unsorted bookmarks, whereas Ctrl-D opens the dialog to save to a folder of choice. Minor niggle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a minimally slower startup under the new version of Firefox, but a much lower startup memory overhead - it kicks in around 223k instead of around 295k in 32.0.1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The startup time with the latest release of Firefox seems the same to me. It must only be in milliseconds if it has increased. It's still about 1½ seconds on my system.
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On my laptop 32.0.2 would fail predictably after a few hours running. Ctrl Sh Del or restarting Firefox didn't cure it. I had to reboot the laptop. Not putting up with that. Lots of new versions of FF but it just seems to get worse. I suspect that they're adding functionality nobody wants and degrading the essential operation.

This message sent to you by Chrome.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    The startup time with the latest release of Firefox seems the same to me. It must only be in milliseconds if it has increased. It's still about 1½ seconds on my system.
    I cut all my addons out and couldn't see any difference from before the new version. On re-enabling, the minimal lag is back, so it's one of them.
    Not worth the time burrowing ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snoweyowl wrote: »
    On my laptop 32.0.2 would fail predictably after a few hours running. Ctrl Sh Del or restarting Firefox didn't cure it. I had to reboot the laptop. Not putting up with that. Lots of new versions of FF but it just seems to get worse. I suspect that they're adding functionality nobody wants and degrading the essential operation.

This message sent to you by Chrome.

Are you talking about launching Task Manager? If you're running 8/8.1, it's much easier to just right-click on the taskbar and then choose Task Manager.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you talking about launching Task Manager? If you're running 8/8.1, it's much easier to just right-click on the taskbar and then choose Task Manager.

Okay, have just found out what Ctrl+Shift+Delete does when Firefox is running.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, have just found out what Ctrl+Shift+Delete does when Firefox is running.

If you like using the keyboard...
    http://www.mouserunner.com/FF_Shortcuts1Printable.html
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This possibly is, or isn't the right thread for this, but has anyone else had their icons (back / forward / favourites / refresh button) around the title bar breaking up / glitching. They repair as soon hover the mouse pointer over them.

I've updated FF, updated my graphics drivers and it still happens!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only changes ive found so far, as well as the Open H264 video codec being added is, the new tab page, they've been shrunk down a bit, so you now get 4x across instead of 3x, the show your bookmarks, and the options tab, instead of them popping straight on when selected, they now seems to zoom out/on, and the smooth scrolling seems to have been adjusted too, as scrolling up and down now seems better/smoother.

My icons are not breaking up/glitching, although im using the FXChrome theme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Only changes ive found so far, as well as the Open H264 video codec being added is, the new tab page, they've been shrunk down a bit, so you now get 4x across instead of 3x, the show your bookmarks, and the options tab, instead of them popping straight on when selected, they now seems to zoom out/on, and the smooth scrolling seems to have been adjusted too, as scrolling up and down now seems better/smoother.
    There's a few new tab options:
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/mobile/33.0/releasenotes/
    as to tabs - I get 6 across the page still, but I use colorfultabs, so that might explain the difference.
    My bookmarks etc don't appear to open or close any differently, but the scrolling is definitely smoother. With the last version sometimes the left/right buttons would freeze on a few pages (consistently the same ones - including the DS news pages although not the forums) but that seems to have stopped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also get theme changes updates, as im using the FXChrome theme, so more than likely why some things differ.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Thanks for that, just installed :)
  • TrajetTrajet Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    V33 has just made me defect to Chrome. V33 just takes up way too much of my CPU.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Trajet wrote: »
    V33 has just made me defect to Chrome. V33 just takes up way too much of my CPU.

As with all previous versions for me it uses between 0 % and 2% CPU (at the moment) but it uses more RAM than anything, currently with just 2 tabs open its using 295MB.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trajet wrote: »

Does Chrome have an equivalent of No Script? If it does, I'm there in a flash.

Firefox is the only program that makes my cpu fan spin to max. It's got progressively worse with each version.
  • AnjomoAnjomo Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »
    Does Chrome have an equivalent of No Script? If it does, I'm there in a flash.

Firefox is the only program that makes my cpu fan spin to max. It's got progressively worse with each version.

Yes. HTTP switchboard
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/http-switchboard/mghdpehejfekicfjcdbfofhcmnjhgaag?hl=en

There is also an install and forget version called uBlock by the same author.

Both are excellent imho.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ublock gets my vote.