Georgia Teen 'Locked In Room For Years'

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
Forum Member
✭✭✭
An 18-year-old allegedly confined to his room by his parents for several years was so malnourished he still had his baby teeth, police told a court.

Mitch Comer was just 5ft, 1in (1.77 metres) tall and weighed only 40kg when he raised the suspicions of a guard at a bus station in Los Angeles last month.

He told police he had been put on a bus by his stepfather Paul Comer on his 18th birthday with a few hundred dollars cash and a list of homeless shelters. Paul Comer told investigators his stepson went to Los Angeles because he wanted to be an actor.

The Georgia teenager said he had been confined to a bedroom and bathroom since being taken out of school several years earlier, police said.

His sisters, aged 11 and 13, who lived in the same house had no contact with him throughout that time.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/georgia-teen-locked-room-years-002841940.html

This sounds like something out of a horror film, if true. Just awful.

Comments

• CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what his DS post count is
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His stepdad is a pr!ck.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crazy!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    I don't believe he still had his baby teeth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder just how many people there are around the world locked away like this. There have been many cases besides the famous ones of Elizabeth Fritzl and Natasha Kampusch.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a similar story years ago about a girl who had been locked for years in a room. It was ghastly.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    Nyota wrote: »

This was a truly appalling account and I understand that the so-called "parents" are being prosecuted and I sincerely hope that they end up with custodial sentences for their acts of cruelty and neglect. As for young Mitch Comer, I hope he now gets help and support from Georgia's social services department so that he can have some form of quality of life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder just how many people there are around the world locked away like this. There have been many cases besides the famous ones of Elizabeth Fritzl and Natasha Kampusch.

That's what I first wondered when I read the story. It's so disturbing to consider.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dreadful.

Incidentally, the report got the feet and inches to metres conversion wrong. 5' 1" is actually 1.52 metres, not 1.77, (that's about 5' 10")
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its awful, but surely he didn't still have his baby teeth?
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reminds me of that book 'A child called it' where one sibling was terribly abused and isolated whilst the others lived a relatively normal family life. Strange how one child can treated like this and the whole family accepts it, but apparantly it can happen quite frequently in abuse cases.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Its awful, but surely he didn't still have his baby teeth?
    i`m sure he did.
    Clinical signs of malnutrition
    Site Sign
    Face Moon face (kwashiorkor, simian facies (marasmus)
    Eye Dry eyes, pale conjunctiva, Bitot's spots (vitamin A), periorbital edema
    Mouth Angular stomatitis, cheilitis, glossitis, spongy bleedng gums (vitamin C), parotid enlargement
    Teeth Enamel mottling, delayed eruption
    Hair Dull, sparse, brittle hair, hypopigmentation, flag sign (alternating bands of light and normal color), broomstick eyelashes, alopecia
    Skin Loose and wrinkled (marasmus), shiny and edematous (kwashiorkor), dry, follicular hyperkeratosis, patchy hyper- and hypopigmentation, erosions, poor wound healing
    Nail Koilonychia, thin and soft nail plates, fissures or ridges
    Musculature Muscles wasting, particularly in the buttocks and thighs
    Skeletal Deformities usually a result of calcium, vitamin D, or vitamin C deficiencies
    Abdomen Distended - hepatomegaly with fatty liver, ascites may be present
    Cardiovascular Bradycardia, hypotension, reduced cardiac output, small vessel vasculopathy
    Neurologic Global development delay, loss of knee and ankle reflexes, impaired memory
    Hematological Pallor, petechiae, bleeding diathesis
    Behavior Lethargic, apathetic
    SOURCE:"Protein Energy Malnutrition"[25]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malnutrition#Clinical_signs_of_malnutrition
  • nitecloaknitecloak Posts: 11
    Forum Member

Just the title of this thread is making me feel ill! :( Just imagine how much that poor teen has missed out on! :cry:
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Who else would have had them?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When asked why he did not escape through a window, Shelton said, the teenager replied: "I'm afraid of bugs."

----

Is he serious...........:eek: