Options

Comedians you just dont find funny

Comments

• Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you even read the title of this thread?

Comedy is subjective ergo long lists of comedians you personally don't like is pointless. Many, most, of the people listed here have made millions of pounds from comedy, suggesting they are all quite good at it.
  • Options
    VideoNiceyVideoNicey Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Bill Hicks.

I saw his 'Revelations' show - the one Ch4 recorded and broadcast back in the nineties - at the Dominion Theatre. What a dreadful night that was. The theatre was packed, but if there were fifty people actually laughing, that was it.

I've honestly never seen so many glum faces at the end of an evening of so-called 'comedy'.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah Millican.
  • Options
    BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patrick Kielty
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Russell Howard
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VideoNicey wrote: »
    Bill Hicks.

I saw his 'Revelations' show - the one Ch4 recorded and broadcast back in the nineties - at the Dominion Theatre. What a dreadful night that was. The theatre was packed, but if there were fifty people actually laughing, that was it.

I've honestly never seen so many glum faces at the end of an evening of so-called 'comedy'.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lee Evans
    John Bishop
    Any woman who isn't Jo Brand (and even she's only funny by a woman comedian's standards).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee Evans - never ever found him funny!!

Milton Jones - nothing but one-liners that just don't have a punch-line...makes me wanna punch him
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenny Henry and Gina Yashere. If race didn't exist those two wouldn't have an act. Absolutely awful, the pair of them. John Bishop's abysmal as well.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack Whitehall
    Billy Connolly
    Frankie Boyle
    Jimmy Tarbuck
    Patrick Kielty
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    Lenny Henry and Gina Yashere. If race didn't exist those two wouldn't have an act.
    I was going to nominate Reginald D. Hunter for the same reason. He really seems to be a one trick pony these days. He was terrible on HIGNFY the other week.

Lenny Henry appeared on LATA a year or two back and his routine was stright out of the 80s.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    A fun story about John Bishop (sadly can't verify its accuracy but the person who told me it has no reason to lie). He once had a show on Liverpool local radio. Towards the time he was 'making it big', someone called in to suggest he should probably drop his professional Scouser act because he's not technically from Liverpool. Needless to say Mr. Bishop was rather annoyed, and ended the call immediately in something of a huff.
  • Options
    CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reeves & Mortimer. Truly awful
  • Options
    johnhuntjohnhunt Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Joe Wilkinson
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think Gervais was as unpopular (I can't stand him incidentally).

Glad to see Rhod Gilbert isn't mentioned, he actually is funny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Max Miller even though so many of the greats swear by his genius.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been looking through this thread and I haven't seen Andy Parsons mentioned.
    Unless I am not looking hard enough. The bald bloke with the tash on Mock the Week, if anyone's forgotten.

I will jump to the defence of Keith Lemon (yes really), Bill Bailey, Spike Milligan (although I hate the Goon Show), Reeves and Mortimer as I find them watchable.

The comedian I dislike the most is Jack Whitehall, he just has to be on the screen and I want to poke him in the eye.

Bad Education wasn't bad though.

I was surprised Jason Manford has made the money he has, now that his estranged wife wants half.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I like Andy Parsons on Mock The Week. He's one of the few who keep it topical and political.

I saw his first standup gig on telly though and it was pants. I didn't bother with the second one.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miranda Hart.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Just based on the ones I've seen live, there's a couple of stand outs.. Rhod Gilbert and Peter Kay..I was crying watching Rhod Gilbert. He was brilliant. I was cringing watching Peter Kay.. He was rubbish. I suspect, and hope, it was an off night during a long tour, but felt totally ripped off. If you get the chance to see Rhod Gilbert, go!
  • Options
    ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    Not the biggest fan of female comedians in general, have yet to find one who is consistently funny.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    fishpie wrote: »
    Just based on the ones I've seen live, there's a couple of stand outs.. Rhod Gilbert and Peter Kay..I was crying watching Rhod Gilbert. He was brilliant. I was cringing watching Peter Kay.. He was rubbish. I suspect, and hope, it was an off night during a long tour, but felt totally ripped off. If you get the chance to see Rhod Gilbert, go!
    Glad of the endorsement for Rhod Gilbert. He cracked me up the very first time I saw him (the Tog thing was one of the funniest stories - quickly followed by his 'Henry' gag). I honestly don't know how the guy doesn't have a heart attack the way he goes at his act! He seems well worth the money.

Back on topic though - I just don't find Michael McIntyre funny at all. John Bishop seems like a nice guy - but to me - his act seems so dated (maybe there's something nostalgic about a young guy being old-fashioned). I don't find Billy Connolly funny at all (I did about 25 years ago but not any more).

I suppose humour is totally subjective though!
  • Options
    BirdsworthBirdsworth Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely agree about Andy Parsons, for two reasons:
    1) He's not funny and never comes up with anything beyond the crashingly obvious "joke" comments about things;
    2) He doesn't really talk with that stupid accent. I knew him at University, and he wildly over-exaggerates that ladish accent of his when he's on the telly.

The appeal of John Bishop is another one that is lost on me. But I admit in his case many people do seem to like him, so it must be personal taste.

I've always hated Jimmy Tarbuck even before his recent spot of bother. He always seems so confident and smug about his own abilities, even when he is delivering material that is painfully poor.

Also, Spike Milligan. He was just surreal and embarassing. Often, surreal humour can be the best sort, but it's got to actually be funny as well and Spike just wasn't.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad of the endorsement for Rhod Gilbert. He cracked me up the very first time I saw him (the Tog thing was one of the funniest stories - quickly followed by his 'Henry' gag). I honestly don't know how the guy doesn't have a heart attack the way he goes at his act! He seems well worth the money.

Back on topic though - I just don't find Michael McIntyre funny at all. John Bishop seems like a nice guy - but to me - his act seems so dated (maybe there's something nostalgic about a young guy being old-fashioned). I don't find Billy Connolly funny at all (I did about 25 years ago but not any more).

I suppose humour is totally subjective though!

I haven't been to one of Rhod Gilbert's stand up shows but I was in the audience for one of the recordings of "Ask Rhod Gilbert" and I was almost sick with laughter. His "torch with the power of a million candles" bit is brilliant.

Lee Mack is another who I find painfully unfunny.
  • Options
    tiltonlandtiltonland Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Jimmy Tarbuck,,,,,,,,,odious,,,,,,Ken Dodd,,boring,,,,,Tommy Cooper,,,simply not funny,,,,,,,Dave Allen,,,one trick pony,,,Les Dawson,,,,,,rubbish,,,,,,,,Bernard Manning,,,,,,,the master of comedy:)