anyone else HATE hot weather??

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i'm getting fed up now of it..today is rather breezy and muggy..I have windows open, blinds/curtains shut with my cool fan on
  • TiffaniTiffani Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    Its gone on too long now and has gone from being pleasantly warm to unbearably hot. Its now hard to do anything without getting hot and uncomfortable.
  • TiffaniTiffani Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    You do know that this is a thread for people to chat in who DON'T like hot weather don't you? It's the one place we can grumble without being told "Why don't you let those who enjoy the hot weather just enjoy it as it'll be winter soon".

Exactly, the hot weather lovers always have to try and muscle in on the act and try and make cold weather people seem miserable.
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    My poor wee lawn is brown with bald patches :(

It is very difficult to make judgements about this heatwave versus other longish heatwaves in recent decades. There are experts to tell us that this is not extreme.
    But that does not stop me from noticing that the soil in my garden has the consistency of sand, and that the heat in the North West seems to have killed all the ants.
    Of course that is impossible! What am I saying! :)

:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very muggy at the minute. The sun has gone in but it's still uncomfortable and sticky.

This is so tedious now and I really hope next week will be the last of it for a bit. Sorry, summer lovers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Looks like it's going to rain where I am. Bring it on!

Can I come and stay with you? :D
  • ToriamathToriamath Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today is very nice, it's breezy and it's only 24 degrees indoors. I hope the rest of the summer is similar to today.
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    It is very difficult to make judgements about this heatwave versus other longish heatwaves in recent decades. There are experts to tell us that this is not extreme.
    But that does not stop me from noticing that the soil in my garden has the consistency of sand, and that the heat in the North West seems to have killed all the ants.
    Of course that is impossible! What am I saying! :)

:eek:

It doesn't feel as bad as 2003 to me but that year I was stuck in a tiny, single aspect flat with no through breeze and no fan. Being August it was also impossible to buy a fan because all the shops had already switched to their winter stock and were stocking portable heaters instead. We used to spend hours wandering around Tesco without buying anything because they had the air conditioning set to "arctic".

That was the year that starting me down the anti-summer path. I used to enjoy a warm summer in the 80s and 90s but 2003 was so unpleasant that I never wanted to repeat it...then came 2006 which was probably just as bad but at least I had a bigger flat with better ventilation by then and a couple of fans.

The end of May last year sticks in my mind as being particularly unpleasant as well but that was only three or four days and a walk in the park compared to this one.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    My preferred weather is wet and windy, preferably an autumnal storm. I love it.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The end of the heatwave (or at least the extreme temperatures) is coming to an end.

This may not be the only warm or very warm weather of this summer but the chances of a repeat of the extreme temperatures are not likely to be repeated or exceeded.

I would not have wished it to go on and on because the temperatures would have been threatening ridiculous values in less than a month's time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Toriamath wrote: »
    Today is very nice, it's breezy and it's only 24 degrees indoors. I hope the rest of the summer is similar to today.
    its nice to walk in, the breeze in your face :p
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feels nice today and fresher :D
  • SwipeSwipe Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    Sexbomb wrote: »

Pity it's too cold to sit out in that wind
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Certainly more cooler.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A weather warning for heavy rain, in Wales and England, is in force for Tuesday and Wednesday. :D There'll be showers before that, too.

Hear the schoolteachers cry! :D
  • wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    Sexbomb wrote: »

Still 25.2c in this room and now 6 weeks of annoying shouty kids outside.

*Goes to Google air rifle suppliers* :rolleyes:
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dog has chronic bronchitis and her symptoms have been a lot worse. I only hope she picks up when it cools.
    Today is a welcome respite - i might even get some sleep. Lately I have had to wait till the night or early hours to exercise her.
    Otherwise it's fine. I don't get that people are complaining that it's too warm at night. Where I lived in Uganda it was warm enough at night to go around in T shirts whereas it gets a little chilly here in comparison :D And over there you just had a sheet for bedding - plus a fan. Here I still need a quilt!
    But I have to say the Yorkshire stone cottage comes into its own in this weather. I can get the bedroom down to 20/21c if I keep all the windows open.
    I believe we are due some thunderstorms. Have promised to see to the neighbour's dog if she is out as it gets terrified. That'll be two of us under the dining table then as I don't like them either :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not surprised to hear about rain, it defiantly looks like it could rain any minute now. It'll be good for the grass around here which is starting to look a little sorry for itself.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog has chronic bronchitis and her symptoms have been a lot worse. I only hope she picks up when it cools.
    Today is a welcome respite - i might even get some sleep. Lately I have had to wait till the night or early hours to exercise her.
    Otherwise it's fine. I don't get that people are complaining that it's too warm at night. Where I lived in Uganda it was warm enough at night to go around in T shirts whereas it gets a little chilly here in comparison :D And over there you just had a sheet for bedding - plus a fan. Here I still need a quilt!
    But I have to say the Yorkshire stone cottage comes into its own in this weather. I can get the bedroom down to 20/21c if I keep all the windows open.
    I believe we are due some thunderstorms. Have promised to see to the neighbour's dog if she is out as it gets terrified. That'll be two of us under the dining table then as I don't like them either :D

You can't compare here to Uganda! Those who live in Uganda are accustomised to the hot climate. Hot nights are part of the norm there. They're not here. For the UK hot nights are the equivalent to hell because we are not able to cope with them.
  • NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night I felt very unwell and breathless. I just could not sleep either, the heat was stifling. I cannot wait for colder weather. I do not tolerate hot weather for long periods. It is still 26 here in Wales & so humid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much better today. I'm glad you all powerful temperature gods managed to bring it down a few notches. I could sit out for longer today and upstairs seems more bearable.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    You do know that this is a thread for people to chat in who DON'T like hot weather don't you? It's the one place we can grumble without being told "Why don't you let those who enjoy the hot weather just enjoy it as it'll be winter soon".

But some of the posts are making out the current weather is something extraordinary. It isn't! It just doesn't happen often enough for most people's liking. We just need some thunderstorms for a bit of rain to break it up a little.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    But some of the posts are making out the current weather is something extraordinary. It isn't! It just doesn't happen often enough for most people's liking. We just need some thunderstorms for a bit of rain to break it up a little.

If it doesn't happen often then it is extra ordinary - hence the wall to wall press coverage and public health warnings.
  • NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are simply not used to this weather. I am not acclimatised at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are simply not used to this weather. I am not acclimatised at all.
    I'd be happy if I had a pool, air conditioning and a garden bar :D