Options

Item ordered and not received, no refund given

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Any advice is appreciated and I thank you in advance for reading this long post.

17 November - I ordered a digital radio through a reliable deals website. They send a voucher, which came the same day, and I paid for it then and there, plus the shipping cost. The deal was running from 17 November to 17 December.

Time passes, no radio. I went back to the voucher twice, the first time thinking maybe I had a missed a step and the second time for a final try - it asked me to enter my shipping info, etc but never asked me for money like it did the first time. I received no notice from the company that my product was on the way, which is what has always happened when I have used this and other websites.

I eventually think maybe they don't ship until the deal has ended and by this point it was nearing the end of that period. I contacted the deals people and they gave me the company email address as after searching more than once on the voucher, etc, I could not find the name anywhere.

19 December - The deal expired two days before. I emailed the provider company and said I was still waiting for the radio. It took them over a week to respond. I had sent all my details in the original email, they asked for it all again. Another ten or so days later I am still waiting. I was about to move house and said I was concerned they would ship to the right place. More time passes, I am emailing every few days at this point and it takes a long time for them to answer. It is always from the same person and the emails are one sentence each. Finally it's the end of January and they sent a copy of the Royal Mail shipping invoice. As it so happens, there was an attempt to deliver the radio but there was no answer. It shows the timeline and I then see that the radio was returned to the provider company on 13 December, 6 days before my first contact with them.

I am obviously incensed at this point, so I write a strongly worded email asking why, with me sending every detail they needed, and clearly being persistent, could they just not tell me right from the start that they had the radio back in their possession. I cannot explain why I never saw a card that came through the door (I was living with other people, probably got mixed up in something) and I acknowledged I had responsibility in the product being returned. In spite of this, I paid for it and I don't believe they can now just keep my money and the radio.

The last email I received was from them saying I needed to pay for shipping again. I said no, I just want a refund as I don't care for the way I have been treated, how they are slow and unresponsive, and I find it insane it took them six weeks to tell me they had the radio again. They have not responded to a single email since.

Just for some other information, I have searched for their company details and found an address of their office in Manchester. No phone number. I have emailed more than once asking for the name of an owner or manager I can speak to, no response. I have asked for the phone number, no response. I found they have their own website, and sent an email through that saying I had a complaint. The same person I have dealt with already got in touch asking for details of the complaint (don't think they recognized the email address).

What do I do? At this point I know I will never get the radio, but I really don't want this awful company to get away with this. On their eBay site (not where I purchased), one of their prominent statements is how dedicated they are to customer service.

I will contact the deals website, but where else can I take this complaint to really let them have it? What is the UK equivalent of the Better Business Bureau?

Comments

• Options
    whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    I'd be hot on the heels of the deal agent, they'll try and wriggle out of it saying they are only the middle man but if the actual company isn't responding to you then I'd have thought by law it would fall to them to make it right.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    This case is one of the reasons why I avoid vouchers, voucher companies, transaction intermediates and so on because it can so easily end up in tears. To stop such things happening in the first place, I recommend always looking up the parties involved on Google first combined with the word review and that should pick up the ne'er-do-well companies.

As things have gone so far in this instance, l'd suggest getting advice from either the local county trading standards department or the Citizens Advice Bureau which now has responsibility for consumer advice issues (plug in the postcode here http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm).
  • Options
    QFourQFour Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you paid by card ring your card company. Explain what has happened and follow their advice. They may ask you to email them again giving them time to resolve the matter. Visa / Mastercard are party to the transaction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    I'd be hot on the heels of the deal agent, they'll try and wriggle out of it saying they are only the middle man but if the actual company isn't responding to you then I'd have thought by law it would fall to them to make it right.

This is a good idea, will pursue it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This case is one of the reasons why I avoid vouchers, voucher companies, transaction intermediates and so on because it can so easily end up in tears. To stop such things happening in the first place, I recommend always looking up the parties involved on Google first combined with the word review and that should pick up the ne'er-do-well companies.

As things have gone so far in this instance, l'd suggest getting advice from either the local county trading standards department or the Citizens Advice Bureau which now has responsibility for consumer advice issues (plug in the postcode here http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm).

Thank you. The deals thing I agree with, I only use two and this one is endorsed by money supermarket, which I felt was reliable. I'm in London and the company is in Manchester, assuming I still use my local CAB?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QFour wrote: »
    If you paid by card ring your card company. Explain what has happened and follow their advice. They may ask you to email them again giving them time to resolve the matter. Visa / Mastercard are party to the transaction.

I used my debit card. Does that still count? It's a Visa debit.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Handers wrote: »
    I used my debit card. Does that still count? It's a Visa debit.
    Only Credit Cards are jointly liable under the Consumer Credit act Section 75 and then only if the item is over £100. With a Debit Card the act does not apply.

However there is an option called Chargeback that might be available.

See

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/can-i-claim-on-my-credit-card-when-something-goes-wrong
  • Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One possible route to follow is cancellation of the order under the Distance Selling Regulations (DSR). Normally the 7 day limit for this will have long passed however the clock only starts running when you are informed of your right to cancel, which would normally be in the paperwork with the item. As you haven't received that, you might have a claim there.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One possible route to follow is cancellation of the order under the Distance Selling Regulations (DSR). Normally the 7 day limit for this will have long passed however the clock only starts running when you are informed of your right to cancel, which would normally be in the paperwork with the item. As you haven't received that, you might have a claim there.
    I can't see the DSR being relevant helpful here at all. It seems to be a breach of contract and If this company couldn't care less the only resort is a county court claim.
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Handers wrote: »
    Thank you. The deals thing I agree with, I only use two and this one is endorsed by money supermarket, which I felt was reliable. I'm in London and the company is in Manchester, assuming I still use my local CAB?

I live in London too and when l had issues with a catelogue company who are based elsewhere in the country, l contacted my local trading standards office with my council, and they sorted it out for me.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe the Trading Standards consumer advice role has been delegated to Citizens Advice now, so you ring CA on 08454 04 05 06 and they will advise on how to sort this out.