Friends Gripes

Comments

• Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure of the episode name, but the one where Ross moves into Ugly Naked Guy's old apartment bugs me, this is the one where one of his neighbours is Stanford Blatch from Sex and the City.

Surely it is totally unreasonable for Ross to be expected to contribute $100 for a retiring handyman that he has never met?

Again, I know it's only used as a tool for humour, but surely there are numerous more reasonable reasons for the neighbours to ostracise Ross.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    Not sure of the episode name, but the one where Ross moves into Ugly Naked Guy's old apartment bugs me, this is the one where one of his neighbours is Stanford Blatch from Sex and the City.

Surely it is totally unreasonable for Ross to be expected to contribute $100 for a retiring handyman that he has never met?

Again, I know it's only used as a tool for humour, but surely there are numerous more reasonable reasons for the neighbours to ostracise Ross.

Yes, I also thought that it was unreasonable
  • Ruby94Ruby94 Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    mrsmoose wrote: »
    What bugged me what when they came back for Series 9, Rachel was really skinny again, even though she'd just had Emma.

And Phoebe snapped back into shape straight after giving birth to triplets!
  • Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one I was thinking of is the one where the valve breaks on the radiator in Monica's apartment and they have a beach themed party as it is so hot (even though it's Christmas time).

In the end Joey simply turns of the radiator underneath when he arrives at the apartment, but surely the 'super' Mr. Treeger who was at the party would have thought to do this?
  • frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the end Joey simply turns of the radiator underneath when he arrives at the apartment, but surely the 'super' Mr. Treeger who was at the party would have thought to do this?

He was clearly pretty crap though, so no surprise.
    He only proposed twice one assumes since the drunk Vegas thing was spur of the moment, so hardly a big deal really.

I disagree. regardless of the circumstances, he had been married and divorced three times by his early 30s. that's not trivial and certainly would have counted as "baggage" against him tryng to start up any other long term relationships.

Seeing their lives in detail we the viewer understand its not as bad as it seems, but some random girl who finds out? not going to be interested.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just found this thread. I know you're all mentioning Friends gripes, but I can't seem to find another Friends thread. My favourite character is Ross. I do love them all for different reasons, but I think I've laughed the most at Ross over the years. Such a great character.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Estelle is Joey's agent and also a nurse in one of the earlier episodes. Also, the actress playing Susan changes!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    NinaRibena wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Estelle is Joey's agent and also a nurse in one of the earlier episodes. Also, the actress playing Susan changes!

In 'Joey' the agent he hires looks a lot like Monica old neighbour..
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another one I was thinking of is the one where the valve breaks on the radiator in Monica's apartment and they have a beach themed party as it is so hot (even though it's Christmas time).

He was more interested in telling Rachel about misletoe
  • BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    He was more interested in telling Rachel about misletoe

... Yeah, no that was basil....

;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if this has already been mentioned (I've searched the thread, but I might have missed it):

After Ross & Emily's failed wedding, Rachel goes on 'honeymoon' to Greece. How on earth did she manage to fly on a ticket which was presumably in the name of Emily Waltham/Geller, with a passport which says Rachel Green?

I know that airport security pre-9/11 was a little more lax, but not to that extent!
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    One moment that really bugs me is when Monica is trying to help Chandler keep fit in her usually over-enthusiastic way. But because Chandler is feeling lazy he basically rips apart Monica's whole life and tells her why she should be depressed. Not much of a friend really, he does it for purely selfish reasons and feels delighted when he's done it. I always feel irritated at the end of that episode.
  • The22ndRachelThe22ndRachel Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NinaRibena wrote: »

I think you just have to take the nurse and Estelle as 2 separate characters.

And it wasn't the actress playing Susan that changed ... You're probably thinking of the actress playing Carol which did change after one episode.
  • LauraLSLauraLS Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That nobody agrees with Ross that Phoebe keeping someone else's cat and saying it's her mother is wrong. Why should he apologise for being right?

I know it's only a comedy but it irritates me. :p
  • Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else think that Joey was slightly out of order for kissing Charlie at his rooftop party?

I mean, if your best friend brings what essentially looks like a date to your party, you'd at least check with them first, wouldn't you? He nearly did the same thing with Mona as well.
  • loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    During Monica and Chandler's wedding reception, when Ross swaps his table place with a child, why did that not get sorted? Why did no one notice a child sitting in the best man's place?
    Just found this thread. I know you're all mentioning Friends gripes, but I can't seem to find another Friends thread. My favourite character is Ross. I do love them all for different reasons, but I think I've laughed the most at Ross over the years. Such a great character.

I love Ross too. He annoyed me at first but after watching the whole show again I got to see what a brilliant character he is.
    LauraLS wrote: »
    That nobody agrees with Ross that Phoebe keeping someone else's cat and saying it's her mother is wrong. Why should he apologise for being right?

I know it's only a comedy but it irritates me. :p

I think because Phoebe's mum died when Phoebe was so young, in such tragic circumstances, leading to a very sad life she kind of remains child-like in some ways. And she genuinely believed it was her mum so they humoured her because it brought her so much happiness, and none of them wanted to take that away from her.
    Ross was, of course, right but could have maybe handled it a little more sensitively.
  • mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What is also a gripe is the habit in later seasons of jokes focusing on Ross as a serial divorcer/proposer.

He only proposed twice one assumes since the drunk Vegas thing was spur of the moment, so hardly a big deal really.

That bugged me too because Phoebe was a hypocrit, she was married 3 times!
    Once to the gay ice dancer, then in the Vegas episodes we find out she go it married in Vegas a long time ago, then to Mike.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I was just watching the episode in series 2 where Rachel is a bridesmaid at Barry and Mindy's wedding and wears that awful pink dress, why were Monica and Richard invited? Monica didn't even know Barry and Mindy!
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    LoveAngel wrote: »
    I was just watching the episode in series 2 where Rachel is a bridesmaid at Barry and Mindy's wedding and wears that awful pink dress, why were Monica and Richard invited? Monica didn't even know Barry and Mindy!

Always wondered this too. Maybe Richard was also mindy or barry's eye doctor as they were all from same place? Or could Barry's parents be friends with Richard as the Gellers were?
  • loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    LoveAngel wrote: »

I assumed they all kind of knew each other, like Ross and Monica's parents knew Rachel's parents (and obviously Monica and Rachel were friends) because Jack mentioned how much Rachel's dad spent on her wedding to Barry. Jack and Judy were friends with Richard so I guess Rachel's parents were too (she mentioned him kissing her when she hurt herself as a child). So Barry and/or Mindy (or rather, their parents) probably knew Richard too and he was invited to the wedding, with Monica as his plus one.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just watched the one with all the jealousy. If the guy holding the dance auditions knew the dance himself, why would he need Joey to teach them the dance later on?
    Forum Member
    I assumed basically he didn't have the time to do it because it wasn't his job.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Began re watching friends recently
    I got the boxset a few years ago with all the uncut and extended episodes. I am gonna start season 4 soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's the three marriages in 10 years and was divorced twice and did he and Rachel get the annulment?

No they got divorced. Ross brings her the divorce papers to sign. Rachel is his 3rd divorce.
    Forum Member
    They went to see a judge who ruled they were not eligible for an annulment because Rachel sat there talking rubbish rather than being honest