Options

Will Fernando Torres be the next Shevchenko?

NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
Forum Member
✭✭
50 million pounds. Have Liverpool had the last laugh? Is it a case of the grass not being always greener?:o

Comments

• Options
    AlezAlez Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly, he looks about as poor as that other mega expensive wages guy Wayne Rooney at the moment: pretty poor.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phew, almost a thread that wasn't anti-Man Utd then Alez! Lucky you got in quick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was always a risk that Torres is a crock who after injury never regained his form and in general he quite simply hasn't.

He may come good, but based on performances, in general, over the last year or so (for Liverpool and in the World Cup), it's not unfair to say that maybe injury has taken the edge off him as a top, top class player.

The money Chelsea paid for him always looked questionable and as yet it all points to the sign that says it was a bad call.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    Phew, almost a thread that wasn't anti-Man Utd then Alez! Lucky you got in quick.

Why on earth shouldn't another mega expensive flop, the highest paid player in the league, one who renegotiated a deal just a few months ago, be mentioned in a thread about expensive Premiership flops when he's flopping big time?

I'm sorry I don't quite see your logic.

Does Torres belong aside other Premiership expensive flops eg Shevchenko, Rooney right now, Veron etc yes, I'd say for Chelsea he's starting to look like it, yes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alez wrote: »
    Possibly, he looks about as poor as that other mega expensive wages guy Wayne Rooney at the moment: pretty poor.

What's Rooney got to do with it?Yes, he's having a mare of a season but he's not cost 50 million.:yawn:
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    50 million pounds. Have Liverpool had the last laugh? Is it a case of the grass not being always greener?:o

Well it look good at present for LFC doesn't it - who'd you rather have - Suarez who cost 23m or Torres who cost 50m?

Craig Johnston summed it up a couple of days ago by calling him 'the pretty boy who does not even try'.

Mind you I am reluctant to gloat too early as things may change as certainly Torres used to be a fantastic player - but he hasn't really shown it for at least a season and a half - whether he ever will is the key point - who knows?

Whatever happens tho I know Liverpool fans are absolutely buzzing with the form of Mr Suarez who they see as better, younger, more committed and cheaper than their former number 9. Happy days indeed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth shouldn't another mega expensive flop, the highest paid player in the league, one who renegotiated a deal just a few months ago, be mentioned in a thread about expensive Premiership flops when he's flopping big time?

Does Torres belong aside other Premiership expensive flops etg Shevchenko, Rooney right now, Veron etc yes, I'd say for Chelsea he's starting to look like it.

It's a thread about Torres and how he'll do at Chelsea, yet you instantly jab at Man Utd.

Again.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Torres problem is the only issue for Chelsea at the moment, outsiders to with the league although if they win every game left they wont be far away.

Should be in the Champions League quarters as well.

Torres I feel was signed by Abramvoich and was forced on the manager who wasnt than keen.

His transfer fee means he has to keep getting a game he has probably been told to play him as well.

This was the scenario with Shevchenko as well, can see Torres being given next season then shipped out on loan to Spain if it is not happening
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a thread about Torres and how he'll do at Chelsea, yet you instantly jab at Man Utd.

Again.

Oh so this thread is one just aimed at having a go at Chelsea and not talking genuinely about expensive Premiership flops at all.

OK, I'm sorry, I'll leave you to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D

Does Torres belong aside other Premiership expensive flops etg Shevchenko, Rooney right now, Veron etc yes, I'd say for Chelsea he's starting to look like it.

I'm surprised you haven't slipped in a few more Utd players as well. Torres cost 50 million. The most expensive signing in the premier league so far. Utd may have messed up with Veron but they weren't daft enough to buy a proven premier league flop like some club I could mention!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh so this thread is one just aimed at having a go at Chelsea and not talking genuinely about expensive Premiership flops at all.

OK, I'm sorry, I'll leave you to it.

It's asking whether a £50m striker who's yet to score will end up a success overall and whether Liverpool have the better of the deal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I'd say Liverpool got the best deal, I thought that before Torres even turned up for Chelsea.

Still, If Torres does something in the Champions league, which is Chelsea's real goal, the signing will definitely be seen as more than worth while in my opinion.

However, myself, I feel that Torres is a crock who will never return to the form he previously showed, not in any consistency anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I'd say Liverpool got the best deal, I thought that before Torres even turned up for Chelsea.

Still, If Torres does something in the Champions league, which is Chelsea's goal, the signing will more than definitely be seen as more than worth while.

However, myself, I think Torres is a crock who will never return to the form he previously showed, not in any consistency anyway.

I could also turn this question around and ask whether Andy Carroll will be a flop but he's been injured so far, so the jury's still out on him. For all the money Liverpool got for Torres, they may have acted in haste buying Carroll. Time will tell.
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    It seems Liverpool didn't really need to buy Carroll. He'll probably turn out to be a good player for them, but 35m...Really? That could have been used on 3-4 solid players.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Again.

What he said. At least try to be subtle. A bit.

Anyway, back on topic. I'm enjoying Torres' sticky start but he is top class and will soon be hitting his goal every two games standard. Form is temporary, class is permanent.
  • Options
    yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hetal wrote: »
    It seems Liverpool didn't really need to buy Carroll. He'll probably turn out to be a good player for them, but 35m...Really? That could have been used on 3-4 solid players.

Yeah, I think he'll go on to do very well for them, but I doubt he'll ever quite live up to the price tag. That money could have been better spent on a few other players to strengthen the overall squad, as you said.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say give it untill nxt season to see judge Torres on the fact with Shevchenko he had a pre-season with Chelsea to adapt and it just didnt work out for him but i think torres will come good eventualy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Ginger Nut, form doesn't extend over years however, it sooner or later becomes a player's class.

At the moment, Torres hasn't done anything consistently for a long while, neither at Chelsea, at Liverpool, nor for Spain.
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just commented on another thread he was starting to look like Shevchenko. The bloke has a real bad attitude problem and unless it's sorted he'll continue to be poor.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think so. Shevchenko had lost 2 yards by the time he went to chelsea. Torres will get better but I don't think that will be to next season. Torres looks better when his up on his own.
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Torres has been very unlucky IMO. He's been playing almost non-stop since August 2007 without a real break except for when he's been injured. He kept being rushed back from injury becuase Liverpool or Spain needed him so he never really got the chance to recover so has unsurprisingly become more injury prone. If Chelsea really want to make the most of their new acquisition they need to rest him as much as they can for the rest of the season, give him a good long holiday over the summer and let him come back in the new season totally refreshed and ready to go. I don't like the way he left us or where he went but we saw enoughof his quality at Liverpool to know that he can be the best striker in the PL and if Chelsea are careful they can get him back to that level.
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, Torres will come good for Chelsea, I'm very confident (and miffed!) about that. He's a world class player and has had dips in form before, he'll be back.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torres is a world class player and i was very sad to see him leave Liverpool. I'm sure he will score many goals for Chelsea but after watching Suarez over the last few weeks i think Liverpool have got the best part of the deal.

Suarez movement and vision is a world apart from what we got from Torres over the last 18 months. Torres just didn't seem to be putting much effort into his game, I thought going to a new club would reinvigorate Torres but that doesn't seem to be the case at the moment.
  • Options
    Barry WilsonBarry Wilson Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torres has more chance being the next Drogba than Shevchenko.

He is a class act and all it takes is a few goals and he will be firing on all cylinders.