Options

Most underated player to have played in the premier league

NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
Forum Member
✭✭
For me it was Paul Scholes but Dennis Bergkamp was an exceptional player too.:)

Comments

• Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you have players like Xavi and Zidane talking you up, I don't think Paul Scholes can be classed as underrated. Understated, maybe. Bergkamp similarly is very highly regarded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    When you have players like Xavi and Zidane talking you up, I don't think Paul Scholes can be classed as underrated. Understated, maybe. Bergkamp similarly is very highly regarded.

But Scholes has never come close to even winning player of the year when lesser players have done.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with celesti Scholes is often praised been in plenty pfa team of the years, but is just a quiet person , Berkamp is an arsenal legend so no idea how he's under rated.

These sort of questions are very hard.

I'd say possibly people like Gary speed, Mark Robins, Dion Dublin, Kevin Phillips, Stan Collymore. Not great players but nevertheless under rated for what they did for their clubs
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    I've always though Jussi Jaaskelainen, the Bolton goalkeeper, was very underrated. Whenever I see him he seems to make many great stops yet I never hear him mentioned among top Premier League goalkeepers.

i also don't get Dennis Bergkamp ( and actually pretty much Paul Scholes too ), I thought his exceptional talents were well recognised.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    But Scholes has never come close to even winning player of the year when lesser players have done.:(

That doesn't make him underrated because he hasn't won player of the year, it just means he hasn't been the best player in that season.

For me the two you mention Scholes & Bergkamp are/were top players and not underrated at all.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Dennis Irwin was always largely taken for granted and understated if perhaps not under-rated. 7 out of 10 would be a form slump for him. also popped up with a few goals and could play either side.

I think his attacking talents would have been explored more today moreso than 15/20 years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talking of united players John O'shea is quite under rated as well
  • Options
    wolverinewolverine Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Dunn
    Vincent Kompany
    Jose Bosingwa
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always feel that Kevin Davies comes in the 'underrated' category.

However, I can't beat Cantona's shout for Denis Irwin
  • Options
    CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wolverine wrote: »
    David Dunn
    Vincent Kompany
    Jose Bosingwa

Wow to DD, he looked like he would be ok at one point in his career but seemed to decide getting injured and eating was a better way to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Dunn
    Vincent Kompany
    Jose Bosingwa

I totally agree with Vincent Kompany. I think the football media have a habit of bigging up average English players whereas some quality foreign players receive very few headlines.
  • Options
    TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Dunn
    Vincent Kompany
    Jose Bosingwa

David Dunn?!!

Based on what?
  • Options
    Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant believe am going to say this, but oh well.

Phil Neville.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Probably not under rated as such but i think the importance of Alonso, Hyypia and Riise at Liverpool became more apparent after they left than when they were there if that makes sense.
  • Options
    JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    indiana44 wrote: »
    I've always though Jussi Jaaskelainen, the Bolton goalkeeper, was very underrated. Whenever I see him he seems to make many great stops yet I never hear him mentioned among top Premier League goalkeepers.

i also don't get Dennis Bergkamp ( and actually pretty much Paul Scholes too ), I thought his exceptional talents were well recognised.

Jaaskelainen is a great shout. Very underrated IMO and he's been a brilliant keeper for quite some time now. I actually wanted him to come to United at one point a year or two ago.

On the subject of keepers, Brad Friedel was possibly the most underrated player I'd seen up until about a year ago when people finally started to give him proper credit. That guy is as good as any keeper the league has seen over the last decade for me. His shot stopping is out of this world. Personally rate him in the top five keepers in football today and that's at god damn 39 years old!

Another, George Kinkladze. City player, but man I've never forgot him to this day. I'd probably say he's my most underrated player. One of the best dribblers the league has ever seen if you ask me. What made him even greater was that he was a brilliant passer, had great vision and a brilliant finisher. All around great player and I swear I haven't heard him mentioned in years upon years, which is a shame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRAQhxxDjl0

8:59, Messi eat your heart out! Love this guy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theriddler wrote: »
    Talking of united players John O'shea is quite under rated as well

Tell me you are joking? The guy is awful I do not understand how he has made it to 350 plus games for United.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Bruce for Manchester United, how he never played for England to this day I will never know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is one of if not THE biggest travesty in the history of the game.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure football will remember bigger injustices than Steve Bruce not getting a cap. Like Steve Ogrizovic not getting a cap, for instance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a really hard question. It feels like it's a question about defenders. Those stalwarts that quietly put a shift in every week and make everything tick without being really obvious.

And then, who is underating them? typically a clubs own fans probably rate them quite highly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    I think Kevin Davies is a good shoput but Phil Neville also very good call. Kinkladzen definitely NOT underrated. Had 2 good seasons and then totally fizzled out. Depends who you mean underated by too really. Heskey probably one of the most underated by fans.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Bruce for Manchester United, how he never played for England to this day I will never know.
    Bobby Robson did admit to Bruce in later years that he should of picked him. Also Jack Charlton did offer Bruce the chance to play for the Republic of Ireland due to Irish blood on his mothers side but he apparently declined.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell me you are joking? The guy is awful I do not understand how he has made it to 350 plus games for United.

Bruce is probably a better call. My reasoning for O'shea is that he is immensly versitle he's played in defence, midfield, ermergency striker (as a tatic when loosing), and emergency goal keeper (when goal keeper has been sent off etc). Sort of jack of all trades, and works hard
  • Options
    james2018james2018 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Branislav ivanovic
    Thomas vermaelen
    Scott Parker
    Adam Johnson
    Dirk kuyt
    Darren Fletcher
    (of our current time. Not so much underrated but just not enough recognition and overshadowed by others)
  • Options
    pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Claude Makelele, who I'd say was the most important player in Real Madrid's galacticos era, even moreso than Raul, Zidane, Figo, etc. and then came to the Premier League and was one of the main reasons Chelsea were so successful, they struggled for quite a while after he left and then Manchester United dominated domestically one again.