Aurora alert!

DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
Forum Member
Those of you in Scotland may be able to see the Northern Lights tonight, just saw them for first time! :D

Comments

• macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're amazing to see, I've seen them many times and they never fail to make me stare open mouthed.

ETA: I was half expecting another US mass shooting story :o
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those of you in Scotland may be able to see the Northern Lights tonight, just saw them for first time! :D

Saw them once from Rathlin, totally awesome sight:):):)
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I'm so jealous, I'd LOVE to see them!!
  • JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had no idea you could see them from scotland, always thought you had to go to scandinavia to see them.
  • macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julzei wrote: »
    I had no idea you could see them from scotland, always thought you had to go to scandinavia to see them.

You could, on occasion, see them from my old house which is only about 60 miles north of the border with England.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've seen them when I lived in Cruden Bay, Aberdeenshire.

Won't see them tonight, i'ts cloudy and snowing.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where abouts in Scotland? Is it just the far North?
  • Ruby94Ruby94 Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    http://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/

This is a really useful site. Amber alert means you can see them in Scotland and northern England. Red alert means they're visible from the whole of the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I looked into going up there a couple of years ago to try and see them. I found a holiday cottage on the net in the north of Scotland which is supposed to be in a great location for seeing the Northern Lights. I never did go though. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I could see them very clearly from Rathlin which is further south than Scotland, Light pollution is the key or even the lack of it.:)
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    This phenomenon occurs near to the Earth's magnetic poles and there's a shot from space showing the Aurora Borealis in action: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Aurora_Borealis.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and Neil Young records make a big difference as well http://youtu.be/UBz2vR0oEa0
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Global warming is supposed to make the visible further south.

Must annoy the astronomers.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read that you could see them as far south as London.:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    I read that you could see them as far south as London.:eek:

Nah, thats just Manchester burning again:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wow, great photo!
  • Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love to see them :)

[URL=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V069wWEnCys[/URL]
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was too wet last night to see them. Damn clouds! :D
  • JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Well that's ruined all the fun on my ham radio gear for a couple of days. :mad:
  • euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mackara wrote: »
    I could see them very clearly from Rathlin which is further south than Scotland, Light pollution is the key or even the lack of it.:)

I didn't know they could be seen that far south - I'm in that part of the world, but have never seen them - must keep an eye out
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member

Thank you for the excellent aurora pic från Sverige, Darthchaffinch. By the way, have you had a chance yet to see and photograph Comet PanSTARRS (C/2011 L4) from your location? http://astronomical-calendar.org.uk/index.php/comet-panstarrs-march-19
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although it is extremely rare, the aurora can very occasionally be seen right down to the south coast. I saw it once, about 20 years ago, here in Crawley. Back in the 60s I saw a very spectacular display (right up overhead), but it was while I was in the N. Yorks countryside on holiday.

Pete Lawrence in Selsey reported a good sighting back in 2003, but I cannot find any photos now.

You can get alerts on the SpaceWeather site. However, the activity has to be particularly strong (Planetary K-index = 9) to be visible right down here. The same latitude in N. America is much more fortunate due to the position of the North Magnetic Pole being in northern Canada.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    euphie wrote: »
    I didn't know they could be seen that far south - I'm in that part of the world, but have never seen them - must keep an eye out

I have seen the lights once from the N.I mainland from a place called Orlock between Bangor and Donagadee in Co.Down, they were dim and distant but still impressive. Trick is to get away from Streetlights/towns etc and get as high as possible on a clear moon free night.
  • eulenspiegeleulenspiegel Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I must have seen the Northern Lights at least half-a-dozen times here in Lincolnshire. I'm lucky because there is relatively little light pollution here. There were a couple of excellent displays in the early 1990s and again in the early 2000s but they don't seem to appear as frequently as they used to 10 or 20 years ago. The last time I saw the Northern Lights was on 21st January 2005.