a dead pet

mandy prancemandy prance Posts: 14
Forum Member
Listen I don't normally post here because I am more of a lurker than anything but I am pretty upset right now. Basically in a nutshell my family pet a dog called Chris died last night. What makes it worse for me is that it was all my fault. I was leaving my house at 1am and I got in my car which was parked on the driveway. I must have left the door open because my husband came to the door to shut it and wave me off. I reversed and hit something which was obviously Chris.

I can honestly say that I have never been so upset or felt so guilty in all of my life. My family are upset that Chris is gone but they are supportive and don't blame me but I can't help thinking that they really think otherwise. My husband suggested getting a new pet and calling it Chris 2 but I don't think that would make things easier.

How do you deal with the loss of a loved one and how to I stop blaming myself?

Thanks for listening.

Comments

• Bid-tvBid-tv Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Accidents happen, and we're all human, it was just bad luck and not your fault. I'm sorry to hear about your dog.
  • mandy prancemandy prance Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Bid-tv wrote: »
    Accidents happen, and we're all human, it was just bad luck and not your fault. I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

Thanks for your kind words Bid. Logic tells me that I am not to blame nut my heart just keeps on disagreeing.
  • Faxy FowlerFaxy Fowler Posts: 17,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh goodness. This type of stuff always brings a tear to the eye. Its horrible to lose family animals but for it to happen in these circumstances is all the worse.

I'm sure everyone understands its an accident. As has been said, its absolutely tragic, but please don't blame yourself though I can understand it is hard for you not to feel awful.

Its not really advice but things like this are so random. My thoughts really are with you.
  • Kittycat73Kittycat73 Posts: 2,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so sorry to hear about Chris and your circumstance. :( You have my deepest sympathy. When my cat died last year I found support through The Blue Cross pet bereavement support line. Here is a link to the info http://www.bluecross.org.uk/web/site/Information&leaflets/PetBereavement.asp
    The line is a free phone number 0800 096 6606 and is open 7 days a week 8.30 am to 8.30 pm. I found it also helped to do an online memorial. If you Google 'Rainbow Bridge' too, you will find find lots of stories and support there too.
    I'd advise against another dog. It is way way too soon and will be apparent that that the new dog is not Chris. It won't be fair on him or your family.
    Again, I'm sorry to hear what you are going through (Please don't blame yourself.) but hopefull you can get some one-to-one support and understanding. My thoughts are with you.
  • Faxy FowlerFaxy Fowler Posts: 17,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kittycat73 wrote: »
    I'd advise against another dog. It is way way too soon and will be apparent that that the new dog is not Chris. It won't be fair on him or your family.

Good advice especially the bit I've quoted above. Agree 1000%.
  • UltrasonicUltrasonic Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you deal with the loss of a loved one and how to I stop blaming myself?

Time is a great healer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rainbow Bridge is a beautiful site full of peoples memories.

I found this helped when I lost my dog
  • snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,016
    Forum Member
    poor you
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm so sorry about your dog :(

Please don't blame yourself. It was a tragic accident. You dog was a much-loved member of your family and he would have loved you back. He wouldn't have wanted you to tear yourself apart over his accidental death. (((HUGS)))
  • shardlakeshardlake Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    I'm so sorry, please don't blame yourself, it's a tragic accident and I'm in tears for you all now.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont blame yourself. It was an unfortunate accident. You didn't do it on purpose, which is why your family is being so supportive.

I think it is perhaps a little too soon for a new pet. Grieve for the lost one. Maybe in a month or so have a look around, but i wouldnt call it number 2. Get a new pup with a new name and personality. All that puppy training will certainly take your mind off your grief.

I am very sorry for your loss.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah you have my sympathy - please don't feel bad, try and take solace in the fact you gave Chris a wonderful home and he had a happy life.
  • mandy prancemandy prance Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    sorry i am late to reply but i wanted to say thank you for the kind words and i have not had a single drink since the accident. Thank you again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your husband waved you off? He should've seen the dog behind the car and warned you, it's his fault too.