2000A.D. - Future Shocks

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
I used to buy 2000 AD, and I remember a regular strip, I think it was called Future Shock.. It was a two page strip with a twist at the end.
One I particularly remember was about a vast white planet with millions of people living on it. They didn't get on and started a war.
Then one day, a massive flood drowned everyone on this planet.
It turned out that the "planet" was the eyeball of a small boy and the flood was caused by the boy crying.
Does anyone else remember this story ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't remember that particular story but I do remember "Future Shocks"
    The one that sticks in my mind, is one about a drilling crew that arrive on a planet and start drilling only to turn out to be microscopic creatures and the planet was hand of a person, who subsequently succumbs to a "strange malady" :o

zarjaz and scrotnig!
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any more Future Shocks stick in peoples' minds ?
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got the Alan Moore Future Shock collection, the one were alien tourists buy the Earth bit by bit is a particular stand-out story.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any more Future Shocks stick in peoples' minds ?

The Last Rumble of the Platinum Horde

An intergalactic empire finds it has no-one left to fight and so the Emperor sends a 100,000 of his finest warriors, the Platinum Horde on a rampage across the universe. This goes on for a billion years and eventually the Horde forgets all about the empire and carries on rampaging until they are nearly wiped out.

Eventually there are only 10,000 of the Horde left and they decide to go out with a bang and attack a planet that had once been the centre of an empire but had gone weak.

They find out that they gone round in a circle and attacked their home planet after which they just decide to keep going.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    The Last Rumble of the Platinum Horde

That's one of Alan Moore's, too.

'Grawks Bearing Gifts' was the one I was referring to, earlier.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never sure which were 'Future Shocks' and which were 'Time Twisters'.

Anyway, a couple of faves from these one-off strips were a strip where a Professor suddenly realises how time travel would work, and is immediately besieged by various future versions of himself, each with a tale about what will happen as a result of his realistaion, and a strip where a man's life was lived backwards, like Benjamin Button.

I also remember one where a sentient potato came back from a future in which potatoes were the dominant life form to kill a bloke for making mashed potatoes. The phrase 'Freeze! Don't muss a moovle!' has always stuck in my mind for some reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

Anyway, a couple of faves from these one-off strips were a strip where a Professor suddenly realises how time travel would work, and is immediately besieged by various future versions of himself, each with a tale about what will happen as a result of his realistaion, and a strip where a man's life was lived backwards, like Benjamin Button.

I also remember one where a sentient potato came back from a future in which potatoes were the dominant life form to kill a bloke for making mashed potatoes. The phrase 'Freeze! Don't muss a moovle!' has always stuck in my mind for some reason.

"A sentient potato" ?? :D
    That sounds BRILLIANT !! It's like something Vic and Bob might come up with !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »

The Professor one was the Disturbed Digestions of Doctor Dibworthy, a Future Shock that appeared in Prog 273

The "Benjamin Button" type one was called The Reversible Man, a Time Twister that appeared in Prog 308

Both of them were repeated in collection called Alan Moore's Twisted Times
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vividly remember a strip as a kid where some time travelling tourists go way back when and end up changing history disastrously. I think they were hunters and enjoyed shooting dinasours and generally behaving like A holes, but one of them stepped on an amoeba or something and that was that for mankind. Might've been an Annual but did regularly get 2000 AD and it fits the bill re Future Shocks.

Anybody?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vividly remember a strip as a kid where some time travelling tourists go way back when and end up changing history disastrously. I think they were hunters and enjoyed shooting dinasours and generally behaving like A holes, but one of them stepped on an amoeba or something and that was that for mankind. Might've been an Annual but did regularly get 2000 AD and it fits the bill re Future Shocks.

Anybody?

There have been a fair few versions of this story done in different forms, think they're all based on this, though:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Sound_of_Thunder
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Anybody?

If there was such a strip it would probably have been "inspired" by this short story

• Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    If there was such a strip it would probably have been "inspired" by this short story

There definately was such a strip, and it was clearly a rip o...I mean, 'homage' to this story. ;-)

Ta, both. Whilst clearly not a completist, loved Ray Bradbury's writing as a youngster, especially Illustrated Man,Day it Rained Forever and, of course, Fahrenheit 451, so will have to delve deeper into the great mans works sometime.
  • Cat SimonCat Simon Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to buy 2000 AD, and I remember a regular strip, I think it was called Future Shock.. It was a two page strip with a twist at the end.
    One I particularly remember was about a vast white planet with millions of people living on it. They didn't get on and started a war.
    Then one day, a massive flood drowned everyone on this planet.
    It turned out that the "planet" was the eyeball of a small boy and the flood was caused by the boy crying.
    Does anyone else remember this story ?

I remember this story, but my recollections are a slightly different. IIRC, the rampaging army were from another world, and wanted to invade the Earth. On their arrival, they wondered why there was no one there, and were then engulfed by a flood.
    It then turns out they had landed in a little boy's eye.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cat Simon wrote: »
    I remember this story, but my recollections are a slightly different. IIRC, the rampaging army were from another world, and wanted to invade the Earth. On their arrival, they wondered why there was no one there, and were then engulfed by a flood.
    It then turns out they had landed in a little boy's eye.

This sounds more like the story I remember. My own recollections were a bit hazy. After all, it was a long time ago !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    I recall two stories that stick in my mind;

A flat disc shaped planet with aliens who could only emit a single note vocally, their planet being destroyed by a large spaceship bulldozing the planet in a spiral, each alien emitted its's note as it was destroyed. Turned out the planet was a large intergalactic record!

The other story was a group of scientists experimenting on a prisoner to condense time so he could serve a 6 year sentence in 6 minutes.. He was put in a special machine so he would experience the full 6 years whilst the rest of the world would function normally, thus save money on prisons. Of course the experiment goes wrong, they set the time for 60years. The prisoner is able to escape because of this and goes through lots of emotions as he is living at a different speed to the rest of the world. He gets his revenge by damaging the building so it collapses when his sentence is over, 60years later for him, 6minutes later for them.

Love those stories!
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two boys in their den acting out being the Shady Dictator types in conspiracy theories - their plan to set off nuclear missiles to destroy the rest of the Earth and detach the American landmass - so it sets up a new orbit around the Sun on its own as "planet America".
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember one in which a scientist is busy working on a device when a colleague enters the room - seeing a button on the counter, he asks what it does and is told it's capable of stopping time. Dismissing this as nonsense, he presses it. The rest of the strip was the same final frame repeated....!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member

Anybody?

Sound's like D.R and Quince.
    BRING BACK NEMESIS THE WARLOCK!!!