leona is her career over?

13»

Comments

• konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    They need to get Justin Parker to write her a couple of killer ballads for album 4 and if that fails no idea where she goes from there tbh. Surely the amount she can command from these corporate gigs is related to her current level of 'success' so the fees will be much reduced at the moment? Certainly nobody on ebay is paying big bucks (or even cost price) for her theatre tour tickets...
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the moment, she's the musical equivalent of box office poison. Plus, she's down the pecking order when it comes to choosing songs from songwriters. All this alongside the X-Factor stigma means it will be very hard for her to bounce back. Hell, even Rebecca Ferguson is doing better than her! :eek:
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Basically Leona's career (commercially) spluttered to a halt after Echo and the farce over that album.

I don't think she will ever get back to anything like she was in terms of popularity, I noted Dido's latest album flopped like her last one did.

Leona will probably manage to carve out a career, it's possible Cowell might consider her as a judge for the X-Factor but even that showed is on its last legs.

Maybe Leona is happy as things are, less pressure and she still manages to get the well paid corporate gigs.

No one is going ot offer her the best songs again though and that is her biggest problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why people get upset/concerned or on the other hand excited/happy that some artists aren't hitting the top 5 every time they release a record. Even at the height of her success people were writing off Leona. Some FM are sad like that. One wonders what's going on in their own lives to have such the burden of Schadenfreude hanging around them.

Leona is a very wealthy woman with a few hits and is internationally known. Pop careers don't last forever and there are only a few that can have hit after hit. Not everyone can have a pop career like Beyonce or Rihanna. Not everyone can have a pop career like Leona.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically Leona's career (commercially) spluttered to a halt after Echo and the farce over that album.

I don't think she will ever get back to anything like she was in terms of popularity, I noted Dido's latest album flopped like her last one did.

Leona will probably manage to carve out a career, it's possible Cowell might consider her as a judge for the X-Factor but even that showed is on its last legs.

Maybe Leona is happy as things are, less pressure and she still manages to get the well paid corporate gigs.

No one is going ot offer her the best songs again though and that is her biggest problem.

She's just not getting the backing and support promos from Sycho that she should be. he's just moved on to the next big thing like Olly Murs. shame on him
  • sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    couldn't leona write her own material it said in her dreams book she's been writing and even producing from a young age
    surely she could write a melody by herself.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    I don't know why people get upset/concerned or on the other hand excited/happy that some artists aren't hitting the top 5 every time they release a record. Even at the height of her success people were writing off Leona. Some FM are sad like that. One wonders what's going on in their own lives to have such the burden of Schadenfreude hanging around them.

Leona is a very wealthy woman with a few hits and is internationally known. Pop careers don't last forever and there are only a few that can have hit after hit. Not everyone can have a pop career like Beyonce or Rihanna. Not everyone can have a pop career like Leona.

Exactly.

Pop is very fickle and her style has perhaps gone out of fashion. Also if you have such mega success so early on in your career it's probably going to be impossible to maintain.

Anyway who knows, we may never hear another hit from her again and she may just fade away, or she may come back with some mega hit that no one was expecting.

Regardless of that she's made so much money that she can easily operate as an independent artist if she wanted to stay in music on an indefinite basis and not many reality acts have been able to do that.

Finally she's finally doing a proper intimate tour which suits her style. She should have been doing these sort of tours years ago.
  • AudioRebelAudioRebel Posts: 32,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep.
    So is Alexandra Burkes, Matt Cardle & I predict Little Mix should be calling it a day before the year is out.
    No-one cares anymore.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    The 'Glassheart' project has been very poorly managed from the start. 'Trouble' is a great song but is not a lead single. 'Glassheart' should have been the lead single. 'Unlove Me' should have followed then 'Come Alive'. If they had to release 'Trouble', it should have been as a fourth single. I think with that single release order, her album would still be in the Top40 now. Such a waste of a solid pop album from one of our most talented singers.

I couldn't agree more, and I'm so glad it's more than just me who knows that particular choice of singles and the order of releases would have changed things dramatically for this era.

As for the thread title....I don't believe she will ever reach the heights of 2007-2008, no. But, (as others have said) maybe she's happy with her career the way it is. She does what she loves, and makes very good money at it.

Syco/Modest did a horrible(and I mean horrible) job with both Echo and Glassheart, so to get back to hit singles and albums, I believe she would have to leave them. Don't see it happening, though. Imagine if Adele or Emile Sande's record labels/management would have been in charge of those 2 eras. I'm not saying she could have had that level of success, but it would have surely have been a lot better than with Syco.

It seems to me that Cowell doesn't care about her any more. I follow him on Twitter and see him mention other X Factor/BGT acts but never her. It's a shame.

To conclude, I think she'll still have a successful career in terms of earning and doing what she enjoys, but it's pretty unlikely she'll reach the commercial heights of Bleeding Love & Spirit again. If she wanted to, she'd have to leave Syco and put everything into a complete relaunch.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't agree more, and I'm so glad it's more than just me who knows that particular choice of singles and the order of releases would have changed things dramatically for this era.

As for the thread title....I don't believe she will ever reach the heights of 2007-2008, no. But, (as others have said) maybe she's happy with her career the way it is. She does what she loves, and makes very good money at it.

Syco/Modest did a horrible(and I mean horrible) job with both Echo and Glassheart, so to get back to hit singles and albums, I believe she would have to leave them. Don't see it happening, though. Imagine if Adele or Emile Sande's record labels/management would have been in charge of those 2 eras. I'm not saying she could have had that level of success, but it would have surely have been a lot better than with Syco.

It seems to me that Cowell doesn't care about her any more. I follow him on Twitter and see him mention other X Factor/BGT acts but never her. It's a shame.

To conclude, I think she'll still have a successful career in terms of earning and doing what she enjoys, but it's pretty unlikely she'll reach the commercial heights of Bleeding Love & Spirit again. If she wanted to, she'd have to leave Syco and put everything into a complete relaunch.

She left Modest Management a couple months ago and all the articles said that Modest were helping her secure new management in America, though we still don't know who she is with, if she has signed with anyone yet.

Hopefully new management will see a change and help get things back on track, though I agree she probably will never see the heights she did when she first started.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    She left Modest Management a couple months ago and all the articles said that Modest were helping her secure new management in America, though we still don't know who she is with, if she has signed with anyone yet.

Hopefully new management will see a change and help get things back on track, though I agree she probably will never see the heights she did when she first started.

I know, and I'm really thankful she did. Unfortunately, though, I'm not particularly optimistic about the future as long as she remains with Syco.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It infuriates me that people seem to be like 'this whole blaming management issue is getting old; it's all her fault'...you just need to listen to scene of the crime and then ask why the heck has that not made it onto an album!?
    She could have a bigger market if she was handled correctly...you just have to look at Emile Sande!

Imo, the deluxe edition shouldn't have been released. Trouble was a decent choice of lead single; it should have followed with glassheart and lovebird acting as a B side. Then a third single should have been a song with an artist that she collaborated with; can easily imagine her and someone like david guetta pairing up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nemokins wrote: »
    It infuriates me that people seem to be like 'this whole blaming management issue is getting old; it's all her fault'...you just need to listen to scene of the crime and then ask why the heck has that not made it onto an album!?
    She could have a bigger market if she was handled correctly...you just have to look at Emile Sande!

Imo, the deluxe edition shouldn't have been released. Trouble was a decent choice of lead single; it should have followed with glassheart and lovebird acting as a B side. Then a third single should have been a song with an artist that she collaborated with; can easily imagine her and someone like david guetta pairing up.

What's the problem with the deluxe edition exactly? How does that not being released change things? :confused:

Anyway another missed opportunity that could have helped turn things around for her was the missed Tinie Tempah duet. He was the one that heard Trouble and he asked Leona to feature on the song with him, but she asked to keep it to herself. I think it probably could have been a bigger hit for her if he was still on it and she was just singing the hook. I am not saying this would have been the single to launch the album, but having Tinie on it would have opened the song up to a bigger audience and radio probably would have liked it more and after that she could have released another song to launch the album.

I actually wonder what Tinie Tempah thought after she turned him down only to bring in Childish Gambino a year or so later to rap on the song. lol
  • Ivy RoseIvy Rose Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    I used to be a big fan. I saw her live during the Labyrinth tour and I love her albums...however, her PR is a disaster. She never promotes enough, they waited four years for her first tour, she doesn't play enough accessible smaller gigs, and it always feels like the waiting game in terms of seeing or hearing from her.

I'd like her to get away from Syco and go indie. She has an amazing voice and is the loveliest person, but her current path just isn't working.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyway another missed opportunity that could have helped turn things around for her was the missed Tinie Tempah duet. He was the one that heard Trouble and he asked Leona to feature on the song with him, but she asked to keep it to herself. I think it probably could have been a bigger hit for her if he was still on it and she was just singing the hook. I am not saying this would have been the single to launch the album, but having Tinie on it would have opened the song up to a bigger audience and radio probably would have liked it more and after that she could have released another song to launch the album.

I actually wonder what Tinie Tempah thought after she turned him down only to bring in Childish Gambino a year or so later to rap on the song. lol

Wow... Well I guess this song was about her and her Boyfriend, so it meant a lot to her. But she clearly turned down a golden opportunity there.

I am also surprised that Simon didn't get Leona rather than Emeli Sande to sing with Labrinth on "See Beneath Your Beautiful."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    Wow... Well I guess this song was about her and her Boyfriend, so it meant a lot to her. But she clearly turned down a golden opportunity there.

I am also surprised that Simon didn't get Leona rather than Emeli Sande to sing with Labrinth on "See Beneath Your Beautiful."

That might have been down to Labrinth though, he said a few months ago he would never work with an X Factor singer, so probably didn't want to work with Leona.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That might have been down to Labrinth though, he said a few months ago he would never work with an X Factor singer, so probably didn't want to work with Leona.

Wow, really? Even though he's signed to Syco, he puts himself above X Factor singers? Sounds worse than Jake Bugg. :rolleyes:

Wait a sec-what about this article??lol--http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/s103/the-x-factor/news/a440346/labrinth-i-want-to-work-with-x-factors-james-arthur.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    Wow, really? Even though he's signed to Syco, he puts himself above X Factor singers? Sounds worse than Jake Bugg. :rolleyes:

Wait a sec-what about this article??lol--http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/s103/the-x-factor/news/a440346/labrinth-i-want-to-work-with-x-factors-james-arthur.html

Yeah he said that after, but he had said this a few months before that,

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/s103/the-x-factor/news/a384681/labrinth-i-wont-write-songs-for-x-factor-stars.html

And another time he said he was forced to perform on X Factor.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/s103/the-x-factor/news/a406317/labrinth-forced-to-sing-on-boss-simon-cowells-x-factor-live-show.html
  • HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every one lost interest in here in America. She has zero personality on American tv , nothing interesting to say . The same has now happened in UK . I think her career is over unless the next single is brilliant and gets the radio support.
  • adamo8adamo8 Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I think with Leona she is just one of them artists who will not match her debut success and when every says its because she hasn't released the Up Tempo song. Most people who say that wouldn't buy the single even if she did release it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the problem with the deluxe edition exactly? How does that not being released change things? :confused:

Agreed! :P Sorry I meant to say that the deluxe version should have been released after say the third single instead of on launch with the original album.