Things Which Instantly Lower Your Opinion of Someone

doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What things (hobbies, beliefs, traits etc) instantly lower your opinion of someone? The following spring to mind for me:

1. Manchester United 'supporter.'

2. Smoker.

3. Reader of The Sun newspaper.

4. Someone who likes rugby union.

Comments

• Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too much swearing in everyday talk.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    1: Talking complete nonsense about something they know nothing about.
    2: Constantly interrupting people and talking over them.
    3: Sounding like feeding time on a pig farm when they are eating.
    4: Refusing to accept other people may have a different opinion to them (especially when the other person actually knows what they are talking about).
    5: Dismissing other people's likes "If I don't like it, it must be rubbish!"
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    doe_a_deer wrote: »

What an earth has Rugby Union done to you?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Arrogance

That's it.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tapout clothing.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't "Reader" and "Sun" an oxymoron?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forwarding racist stuff on facebook.

Identifying the richest or most successful person in a social group and oiling up to them in the hope of getting into an alpha group.

Bragging about acts of petty meanness, as, on this forum, people who trumpet away stuff like, "I always throw Betterware catalogues straight in the bin instead of putting them out on the step".

Aggressive driving, especially hooting loudly at learners when they stall.

Taking the piss out of other people for being fat, shy or poor.

Using words like 'feminazi'.

Not looking after an animal properly, eg having a sad looking rabbit in a gloomy hutch.

Being rude to people who cannot answer back, eg waiters, receptionists etc.

Adoring professional nasties like Katie Hopkins (or worse, Richard Littlejohn) because they - all of them - say 'what other people would like to say but don't'.
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parents who smoke. Even though up until 2 weeks and 2 days ago I was a parent who smoked.

In fact I've always judged smokers whilst smoking like a trooper myself. But it's fine when I do it. I know I'm not rough.

Edit: I re read the OP and realise I have posted about harsh judgements I may make rather than who I really have a lower opinion of.

In that case it's really just really ill-mannered, rude people with a superiority complex. It's worse if they think wealth and intelligence makes them superior. Imo that just makes them a gobshite.

No one likes a gobshite apart from other gobshites. If I hear sneering I will switch off - you have nothing to say I want to hear. You may be right, you may be bright but you are an idiot.

Then of course there's the obvious ones about child care. Swearing at, hitting, general neglect...yeah, not going to rate you. Goes without saying really.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bad manners.

Anyone who mistreats a person or animal.

Anyone who wears the Rising Sun flag anywhere on their clothes or as a tattoo.

Anyone who has a Nazi-related image/word as a tattoo.

Anyone who mocks or demonises other people's beliefs to prove theirs are superior.

And especially, those who care more about their pride than doing the decent thing - offer an acknowledgement and/or simple apology - when they're in the wrong.
  • KathrynhaKathrynha Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

2. Smoker.

Apart from 4 I totally agree with you there
    1: Talking complete nonsense about something they know nothing about.
    2: Constantly interrupting people and talking over them.
    3: Sounding like feeding time on a pig farm when they are eating.
    4: Refusing to accept other people may have a different opinion to them (especially when the other person actually knows what they are talking about).
    5: Dismissing other people's likes "If I don't like it, it must be rubbish!"

With you on those too.

Also
    1. Rude people
    2. People who think getting drunk is big and clever
    3. People who vote based on what they/their parents have aways voted for without thinking about it or even considering other options
    4. People who don't vote
    5. People who dress their kids as mini-me's/chavs/sexually inappropriately
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, I should probably adjust mine, all things considered :)

1. Racism/Bigotry
    2. Arrogance
    3. Rudeness
    4. Arrogance
  • SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When they say or do something that instantly reveals a deeply unpleasant side to their nature by....

1) Being cruel to an animal

2) Saying something racist/sexist/downright ignorant.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dismissing symphonic metal because "pianos/keyboards/violins etc should not be a part of metal".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being a prostitute
    Shouting at/slapping their children
    Being homophobic
    Having that horrible 'urban London' accent
    Being fat and not having the self-awareness to avoid dressing like they're slim
    Total belief in god/healing crystals/astrology/other new-age woo
    Being gullible
    Only watches soaps, thinks documentaries are 'boring'

Inb4 someone quotes me and says "being judgemental"
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) Murderer

2) Rapist
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dismissing symphonic metal because "pianos/keyboards/violins etc should not be a part of metal".

They make metal even more awesome.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    They make metal even more awesome.

Too right.

Add in an operatic singer (male or female) and it gets even better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never dislike someone for their tastes without knowing what kind of person they are. Once I know them though, if they are the kind of person who turns every conversation about how they did it better or feel worse then I hate them.
    I worked with a guy who did it and I went to London to spend a day with my girlfriend and ended up getting drunk with her and her friends. I went into work the next day and as it happens he just happened to get drunk with Polish people,even though he knew none. It was like it with everything me or my friends ever said.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too right.

Add in an operatic singer (male or female) and it gets even better.

For sure, it just adds something so special to metal that is hard to describe. Everyone should listen to symphonic metal at least once.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone who wears a Liverpool football shirt. Especially if Liverpool aren't playing football at that particular time.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What things (hobbies, beliefs, traits etc) instantly lower your opinion of someone? The following spring to mind for me:

2. Smoker.

I think I'd have a low opinion of you for being overly judgemental. I find your objections to these things, or having them to the extent that it would make you think less of someone to be ridiculous. I'd question your intellect too.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    The main thing that'll always get me to dislike somebody is when they insist on making everything about them.

True story:-

There's an old guy around here who was a fighter pilot who lost both his legs in a crash.
    Was in the pub, talking to him, and he was explaining how after a few years he came to realise that he just had to accept his new condition and then move on with his life when one of the missus' friends piped-up about how she'd had an ingrowing toenail removed and it'd meant she couldn't wear high heels for a few months.
    There was a bit of a stony silence and then somebody asked the old guy if he missed flying planes, he talked for a bit and then this woman started off again, about how she'd realised that most of her shoes were high heels and she realised she had very few shoes she could wear with her hurty toe.

It's like some people just spend the time when other people are talking to think of the next thing they're going to say about themselves, rather than actually immersing themselves in the conversation, and that REALLY pisses me off. >:(
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    1) Murderer

2) Rapist

Now those I can agree with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    For sure, it just adds something so special to metal that is hard to describe. Everyone should listen to symphonic metal at least once.

Right, time to put on some Pythia :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    The main thing that'll always get me to dislike somebody is when they insist on making everything about them.

True story:-

There's an old guy around here who was a fighter pilot who lost both his legs in a crash.
    Was in the pub, talking to him, and he was explaining how after a few years he came to realise that he just had to accept his new condition and then move on with his life when one of the missus' friends piped-up about how she'd had an ingrowing toenail removed and it'd meant she couldn't wear high heels for a few months.
    There was a bit of a stony silence and then somebody asked the old guy if he missed flying planes, he talked for a bit and then this woman started off again, about how she'd realised that most of her shoes were high heels and she realised she had very few shoes she could wear with her hurty toe.

It's like some people just spend the time when other people are talking to think of the next thing they're going to say about themselves, rather than actually immersing themselves in the conversation, and that REALLY pisses me off. >:(

Talk about an insensitive conversation hag, what the hell was wrong with her? Oh boo hoo, you had to stop wearing high heels whilst that gentleman had to stop wearing shoes full stop in service to his country.

I honestly don't know how you didn't give her a slap.