Options

Was Myra Hindley evil or ill?

Comments

• Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Fortunately the tapes have never been released to the public. I've read the transcript of some of those tapes and that was bad enough. Those who were involved in the case and the trial and had to listen to those will be haunted forever.

Truly evil the pair of them..
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Tom_Tit wrote: »
    Fortunately the tapes have never been released to the public. I've read the transcript of some of those tapes and that was bad enough. Those who were involved in the case and the trial and had to listen to those will be haunted forever.

I've heard them:confused:

Or a dramatisation of them.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know she didn't know what Huntley had done? I think she certainly did judging by her actions

And what actions would those be?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The actual tapes have never been released.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How do you know she didn't know what Huntley had done? I think she certainly did judging by her actions

I think it was widely reported that the judge accepted her story. Her sentence was simply foe perverting the course of justice - had she have known I think the sentence would have been far more severe than it was. She was released with a new identity because of the sheer hatred and strength of feeling against her.

I think she really was a very naive and 'simple' girl - she is local to here - I know those who taught her and her family are customers in my husbands shop. Most who knew her were very shocked that she'd got caught up in Huntleys web - she wasn't considered a bad un. I don't believe for one moment that she knew he had killed the girls.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And they should never be either.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I could have sworn I;d heard them ............it must have been a dramatisation - whatever it was it really haunted me.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you mean the Lesley Downey one i've never seen a transcript and don't think i'd want to either. What bit's i read in the newspapers at the time was more than enough.

One poster mentioned a few pages back that both Brady and Hindley were pure evil but Brady admitted he was........Hindley never did.

Sometimes i wish that she had been let out.....because she'd have been ripped limb to limb within hours of release.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I could have sworn I;d heard them ............it must have been a dramatisation - whatever it was it really haunted me.

It would have been a dramatization like you say. The transcripts are easily found online and they are disturbing enough.
  • Options
    jake_moore08jake_moore08 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    I have finished a brilliant book on Hindley called One Of Your Own by Carol Ann Lee. The author managed to trap Hindley with her own words, and exposed her time and time again as a liar.

I think she was a very evil woman, whose crimes always merited a life sentence, regardless of personal 'remorse'. She was very cold, and failed to grasp that her victim's families had every right to hate her, and want to keep her inide. She called Mrs. West (Lesley's mother) a "pain in the neck", and said terrible things about Mrs. Johnson (Keith's mother). I think that speaks volumes on her character. I don't know how you can claim to be sorry whilst saying things like that.

All my sympathy goes to her victims, and their families. I hope she's rotting.
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she wasn't ill at all. she was just pure evil. why would this even be debated.

Agreed. Just because she's a woman people are keen to explain her away as mentally ill. She was evil.
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she was evil, and I think he was just as bad. The populist notion that she was somehow worse has never struck a chord with me, they were as bad as each other, IMO.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Brady was definitely evil, Hindley was she always evil or did he bring it out in her who knows, she was certainly evil in what she took part in and I believe completely manipulative to the very end

As for the tapes you are right hat they haunt people they would anyone , just reading about them brings a tear to your eye, how could anyone do that to anyone let alone a kid.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ian-brady-and-myra-hindley-court-1266949

“I had covered lots of big trials involving all sorts of killers but I had never seen grown men cry before as they did listening to Lesley.

“Policemen walked out of court because they could not bear it anymore. No-one who heard that tape could ever escape from the memory.

“Until then no one thought a man could be that cruel to children. It was even more inconceivable that a woman would help him.

“They truly were evil.”
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    I think she was evil, and I think he was just as bad. The populist notion that she was somehow worse has never struck a chord with me, they were as bad as each other, IMO.

I think many think of her as worse and at the time did as people thought women have this automatic mothering instinct and would never hurt a child, which we know is not true and Hindley certainly showed that, but it shocked people even more that a woman could possibly do such things , it wasn't something that entered their thoughts.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    How is that traducing women to say she was corrupted? She is not all women.

Out of the two Myra Hindley is the more intelligent, better at manipulating people and forming social bonds. She's also the sane one.

The only reason people parrot rubbish about her being corrupted is that they don't believe a woman can be equal or dominant in a partnership - yet she was clearly dominant and manipulative for the rest of her life.

It's the same ridiculous argument that people trot out for Maxine Carr. Judging her on being a little woman rather than as an adult capable of taking responsibility for herself and her actions.
  • Options
    anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judging her on being a little woman rather than as an adult capable of taking responsibility for herself and her actions.

Carr TOOK responsibility. She pleaded guilty to the only crime for which she was convicted.

Carr also became the main prosecution witness when she discovered what Huntley had done.

Mentioning her in the same breath as Hindley shows a stupidity of gargantuan proportions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anais32 wrote: »
    Carr TOOK responsibility. She pleaded guilty to the only crime for which she was convicted.

Carr also became the main prosecution witness when she discovered what Huntley had done.

Mentioning her in the same breath as Hindley shows a stupidity of gargantuan proportions.

Yet certain members of the public still demonise her and her family and treat it as though she is also a murderer, and they feel they are doing society a favour ???

It never ceases to amaze me the behaviour of some people against murderers, I could understand a parent , family member or friend losing their temper/flying into a rage and attacking a perpetrator but people who are unconnected taking such actions is beyond me . Take James Bulgers murder, horrific , and the two who committed it vile specimens who should probably still be in prison ( well one of them definitely ) when they were being taken away in a prison van people were attacking the van and rocking it, and pulling at the back doors , no thought for the innocent staff members inside and what would have happened if they had got them out of the van, would these fine upstanding members of society have beaten or killed two 10/11 year old kids on the streets of the UK ? making them just as bad as the people they wanted to attack.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was evil pure and simple. All this about being manipulated by Brady is rubbish. Anyone who commits a crime like that is not right in the head, whether they are influenced by another person or not.

I mean look at the Manson murders. They were all sent out to commit those horrific killings but Linda Kasabian didn't take part. Why? Because like most people she was not mentally capable of that. People like Susan Atkins and Tex Watson however absolutely relished in it. There must have been something inherently wrong with them to be able to do something like that, maybe Charles persuaded them but if they were normal they could not have gone through with it. Myra Hindley was the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Two women involved in murder of children crimes. Both using the my partner manipulated me into what I did and I'm just a little woman defence to fool the gullible. Clearly they have things in common even if one was an active participant in the crime and the other was just involved on mopping up the blood of her partners victims and lying to the police to cover for him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two women involved in murder of children crimes. Both using the my partner manipulated me into what I did and I'm just a little woman defence to fool the gullible. Clearly they have things in common even if one was an active participant in the crime and the other was just involved on mopping up the blood of her partners victims and lying to the police to cover for him.

She was not involved in the murder of children. That is a lie and completely defamatory.

She wasn't even in the same part of the country when the murders happened.

And she did not mop up any blood. That is another bare faced lie. The tabloids made much of her cleaning but the woman apparently suffers from OCD and obsessively cleaned all the time (common in women with eating disorders actually).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was not involved in the murder of children. That is a lie and completely defamatory.

She wasn't even in the same part of the country when the murders happened.

And she did not mop up any blood. That is another bare faced lie. The tabloids made much of her cleaning but the woman apparently suffers from OCD and obsessively cleaned all the time (common in women with eating disorders actually).

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/nov/07/soham.ukcrime
    Maxine Carr was seen sobbing as she peered into the boot of Ian Huntley's car two days after Holly and Jessica vanished, the Soham trial jury was told.
    The prosecution believes Mr Huntley had used the car, a red Ford Fiesta, to take the girls' bodies to the spot where he dumped them.
    Next day the search for the girls continued. During a break, a junior caretaker went into Mr Huntley and Ms Carr's house for a drink. He claimed Ms Carr was in the kitchen scrubbing the tiles so hard that she was complaining she was rubbing the pattern off.

The jury has been told that Mr Huntley "sanitised" his car by cleaning it thoroughly and when police visited the house the day after the girls' disappearance they noticed a strong smell of a "lemony cleaning product".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

None of that shows that she was 'involved' in the murder or was cleaning away blood. You are merely regurgitating the prosecution case in the early days of the trial. A prosecution case against her which fell apart pretty quickly. (And the prosecution didn't even claim she was cleaning blood - I think that's something you added yourself).

To claim she was wiping away blood is a lie.

To claim she was involved in murder is a lie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Completely false, Carr was guilty of believing Huntley and he told her the girl had a nose bleed and they would try and pin it on him she did not mop up blood and I wouldn't believe all that you see in the tabloids or that has become popular story
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Completely false, Carr was guilty of believing Huntley and he told her the girl had a nose bleed and they would try and pin it on him she did not mop up blood and I wouldn't believe all that you see in the tabloids or that has become popular story

He didn't even tell her the nosebleed bit. That was a defence he concocted after he was arrested. He told her nothing except that since he had been arrested before, they would try to 'pin' something on him again.

She was a fool - guilty of being profoundly stupid.

But you are right - it just shows how made up rubbish suddenly become 'facts'.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Evil...Just like her boyfriend.