How much do you need to live on as a pensioner?

highland paddyhighland paddy Posts: 672
Forum Member
✭✭
For example, aside from those that have paid off their mortgage, do people in council or social housing still have to pay rent or is this one less expense?

I know the state pension is too low and successive governments have done nothing to change it, but can you still live off it (I believe it's £120 per week) if you had no rent/mortgage? I suppose fuel bills are the big obstacle nowadays.

Is a private pension truly a good deal or just a potentially volatile waste of money when you are already cash strapped enough?

Comments

• Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    For example, aside from those that have paid off their mortgage, do people in council or social housing still have to pay rent or is this one less expense?

I know the state pension is too low and successive governments have done nothing to change it, but can you still live off it (I believe it's £120 per week) if you had no rent/mortgage? I suppose fuel bills are the big obstacle nowadays.

Is a private pension truly a good deal or just a potentially volatile waste of money when you are already cash strapped enough?

They certainly do.
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you mean 'live' or 'exist' ? Big difference.

The current basic state pension is £113 pw but, if that is their only source of income, many pensioners get Additional State |pension up to a total of about £145 pw (I think).

As for private/company pensions - I paid in for many years and now get, including a state pension, £650 pw. Less disposable income when I was younger now means I have a very comfortable retirement.
  • highland paddyhighland paddy Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pensioners still have to pay full rent if they live in a council house? Genuinely surprised by that.

£650 pw? What did you work as?