Shows you gave up watching this year

Comments

• mabbus-cattus1mabbus-cattus1 Posts: 5,777
    Forum Member
    wowboy wrote: »
    I have given up on

Gotham

It didn't grip me, it's ok but I don't go "can't wait for next week" , unlike the flash and arrow do.

Watched the first episode and didn't bother with any more. Was so looking forward to it too :(

Love Arrow and The Flash BTW.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the box set of Boardwalk Empire and stopped half way through season 2 after forcing myself for a few episodes. I could not stomach the awful nastiness and brutality. It is not my idea of entertainment watching someone repeatedly punch a stroke sufferer or see a man get scalped while alive.
    I enjoyed Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, but BE was too much.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just given up on Forever. I had hopes for it but this week's episode bored me stupid.
  • MissySmithMissySmith Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Gave up Walking Dead...that's all it became.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've given up on Family Guy...but that's mainly because I only really got into it last year and watching it on BBC Three every night became overkill!
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm hanging on by a thread for Awkward but I'll try to see it through at this stage given it's ending next season anyway.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gotham and The Flash have just been removed from my planner

The Amazing Race, only cause I mised an episode and couldn't be bothered to catch up, I'll pick it back up again next season.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    i ahve the end of season 2 of revolution, all of season 2 of the following and half of Revenge season 3 on my sky box that i cant delete but really dont want to watch.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissySmith wrote: »

Yep! ... TWD is the most boring show on TV imo! .... Stopped watching after last seasons finale! 💩

Agents of Shield! (After afew S1 epis) & OneUponATime (afew epis into season 3) ... simply don't have time for em! :(
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally said farewell to The Transporter Season 2. Replacing his S1 assistant/secretary with the S2 partner/equal feels a bit like when the ptb over at Human Target brought in the Ms Poochie character, Definitely not as bad but that kinda thing. So I've been fast-forwarding to watch the fight scenes but no more. Main character just doesn't fit for me. :(
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    MissySmith wrote: »

My husband watches this. I've sometimes been in the same room as him while he's watching an episode, and it all seems to be people hacking zombies. I'm surprised it's had such a long run.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    Yep! ... TWD is the most boring show on TV imo! .... Stopped watching after last seasons finale! 💩

That's slightly unfortunate - the first three episodes of Season 5 are generally regarded as some of the very best the series has produced. Really, really bad timing on your part :D

Gave up on Homeland after three episodes of the new series, and am stunned it has been recommissioned for a fifth. If ever there was a show designed for a limited run, it was this.

Non US, I'm struggling with 'The Missing', which I was really looking forward to...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    Yep! ... TWD is the most boring show on TV imo! .... Stopped watching after last seasons finale!

I'm still enjoying TWD but it is struggling to maintain several independent story lines. Characters just disappear for a few episodes so it can be hard to keep track of what is going on.

Homeland is still OK but it had now gone in a different direction. I still think they should have killed Brodie at the end of the first season
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show's focus was never about Alex and Piper. It never was in season 1 and never was the very start. If anything, the show's focus is through the eyes of Piper and her time in prison, which is essentially what the book it was based on was about as well. But as the show progressed, it became more of an ensemble and critics and fans were preferring the supporting characters much more then they were of Piper. The writers clearly took notice of this and that is why the show did change focus more in season 2. I am glad they did this. It's what fans wanted and it makes the writing and direction much more fun to play with and to watch. The politics of season 2 was also brilliant because it was very much true to real life and what women in those prisons do fight for. It had a sense of realism

If the show had essentially been just Alex and Piper, with just a few b-storylines thrown in regarding the other women, i do not think the show would of been as huge and the acclaimed success it has become to be today.

Alex did play a strong part in season 1 though. I agree that the story was told through the eyes of Piper which I enjoyed very much, especially as the outside world and her own backstory provided a keen contrast to what was happening to her in prison. It was a huge shock and adjustment for her, and there was all this stuff with Alex going on too. It made Season 1 very engaging for me, and I enjoyed finding out a little about the other prisoners. .

I didn't enjoy the more ensemble Season 2 and, given your comments here (which I appreciate) I am glad that I stopped watching it.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex did play a strong part in season 1 though. I agree that the story was told through the eyes of Piper which I enjoyed very much, especially as the outside world and her own backstory provided a keen contrast to what was happening to her in prison. It was a huge shock and adjustment for her, and there was all this stuff with Alex going on too. It made Season 1 very engaging for me, and I enjoyed finding out a little about the other prisoners. .

I didn't enjoy the more ensemble Season 2 and, given your comments here (which I appreciate) I am glad that I stopped watching it.

Fair enough
    We all have different preferences on what we prefer for television to do for our personal needs. :)
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Extant
    Crisis
    The 100
    The Leftovers
    Resurrection
    Silicon Valley
    True Blood
    Dominion
    Agents of SHIELD

Sci-fi is in such a bad place at the moment. Even Doctor Who was touch-and-go after the first 3 episodes but fortunately it picked up. I didn't even get started with Atlantis.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SHIELD
    First half of season 1 was brilliant, while the second half was a mess although many regard the second half as when the show kicked into gear. Gave a few episodes of season 2 ago and still no interest. Joss whedon may be credited as a creator and a producer, but it's clear how little influence and work he does, otherwise this would be a much better show, because his four previous shows were all well written. He has left the main duties to his brother and his brother's wife and going by their previous work in other television shows, he couldn't of picked such a poor duo to take charge of a show.

Dropped extant after half a season. It started off interesting but the more we found out, the more i became less interested.

Dominion - 2 episodes. Dreadful. Fallen angels bull crap.

Z-Nation - One mess of a show. Like watching a really bad B-movie every week.

Atlantis - One of the worst fantasy shows of all time.
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It took a bit of effort but I managed to forget Z-Nation. Yes, add it to the list. Also 'Forever'; I expect others will occur to me.

I hope 'Haven' finishes after the present season, otherwise it will be joining the rest.

I feel quite nostalgic for 'Stargate Universe' and 'Star Trek Enterprise' these days.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Atlantis. So much for revamping it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fenlander wrote: »
    It took a bit of effort but I managed to forget Z-Nation. Yes, add it to the list. Also 'Forever'; I expect others will occur to me.

Z Nation was possibly the worst show I have seen this year.

I reluctantly stopped watching Forever. It has a decent cast and a certain charm but there wasn't quite enough there to keep my attention. I've also been pruning other shows recently from my viewing list as I just haven't got time to watch everything. For this reason How To Get Away with Murder has also bitten the dust. It had a great pilot but really hasn't gone anywhere since.

I'm still hanging onto Scorpion as I need a brain dead show to watch each year.
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both Gotham and Scorpion are on the bubble for me. If there was anything else on Freeview at their time I wouldnt bother all ready.

But then I am missing my favourite show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scorpion - Gave it six episodes
    It has a great array of characters and a strong cast but the different missions they have every week were not interesting. Actually in general, the plots just didn't interest me.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Strain
    Constantine
    The Mindy Project
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show's focus was never about Alex and Piper. It never was in season 1 and never was the very start. If anything, the show's focus is through the eyes of Piper and her time in prison, which is essentially what the book it was based on was about as well. But as the show progressed, it became more of an ensemble and critics and fans were preferring the supporting characters much more then they were of Piper. The writers clearly took notice of this and that is why the show did change focus more in season 2. I am glad they did this. It's what fans wanted and it makes the writing and direction much more fun to play with and to watch. The politics of season 2 was also brilliant because it was very much true to real life and what women in those prisons do fight for. It had a sense of realism

If the show had essentially been just Alex and Piper, with just a few b-storylines thrown in regarding the other women, i do not think the show would of been as huge and the acclaimed success it has become to be today.

While I agree with parts of your post, I think the fact that the producers made sure that Laura Prepon was contracted for all 14 episodes of season 3 proves that the Alex and Piper storyline is the main direction the show is gearing towards. I think if Alex had to be in more episodes then season 2 would of been a completely different story.

While season 2 was nothing short of sublime and I especially enjoyed seeing the backstories of Red/Vee, Rosa and Lorna Morello I felt the show was missing a little something due to the decreased focus of the Alex and Piper storyline. The fact that the extremely piss-poor Daya and Bennett storyline reached new levels of annoyance didn't help matters either.

It will be interesting to see how season 3 will pan out with Alex being back on a permanent basis.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    007Fusion wrote: »
    The Strain
    Constantine
    The Mindy Project

I haven't set it yet, but I thought The Strain looked really interesting. What was it about the show that put you off?