• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adele.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Little Boots and Jessie J. I can appreciate they are talented but I just do not get it. Urgh.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Frank Ocean. Posters everywhere with 5 star reviews but I really can't hear why. And the album has dropped in price drastically so maybe no one else can either.
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dizzy Rascal. For some reason, he seems popular at festivals. Personally, i'd sooner seek solace in the long drops.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to have to go with Frank Ocean as well. I listened to all the songs on his album and just didn't love any. I tried really hard to find at least one I enjoyed but "Thinkin' Bout You" was the only one that came close to being interesting and even then I only listen to it very rarely.

Lady Gaga is probably the other main one. I liked her far better before she was trying too hard to be edgy. Now she just comes across as a little desperate for attention.
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frank Ocean, his music just bores me rigid and I don't like Emeli Sande either. Also, Olly Murs and Robbie Williams
  • Options
    pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie williams all the way. I think he actually deserves praise for managing to fool the public into thinking he is a talented performer. He cant really sing and his songs are terrible. Most of his songs are 'what rhymes with this word regardless of whether or not it makes sense'.
    He also looks like Freddo the frog from chocolate bars.

Im going to sing a song
    hopefully it wont be long
    i wont sing it wrong
    yeaaaahhhh

oh theres girls about
    but im listening to no doubt
    and im on a roundabout
    going round and round
    *holds mike out for the audience to sing the rest of the song*
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    has to be Lana Del Rey. I can see how she's happened and it's a neat trick to eradicate all vitality and emotional content to achieve a sort of arty louche detachment...but i find it bogus and proof that less can sometimes just be less
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ed Sheeran is another one. I see who he appeals to and has a few nice song but is he not just a glorified busker really fail to get all the critical hype.

Taylor Swift i get she writes her own songs i understand her demographic but honestly as a writer singer and performer she is just a little average.
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol at the poster who compared Adele to the Titanic...

I'm casting in my vote for Little Boots as well. None of her songs that I've heard are catchy enough though on paper I should like her. I'll also add in Marina and the Diamonds, I like her song Primadonna but her voice is a little weird, loops and hoops like a rollercoaster.

I'm slowly getting into Madonna starting with her earlier stuff. Lady Gaga...I like the concept of her. And in general I like dance music (although I'm mainly indie-ish). But her first album was crap apart from a few songs, (in my opinion) I didt think a lot of the album tracks were catchy at all. Maybe too electronicy and not pop enough for me?

Emeli Sande I don't mind, but I really believe her first single Heaven is by far her best song. Jessie J grates on me as a character.

A band that I should like but don't get...Everything Everything. Also don't get the love for Bastille, theyre a weak Neon Trees/You Me at Six. Or a new version of those two bands for the yoof ;)
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    Rita Ora. Ever since I listened to How We Do. She's just SO, SO nasal!

How We Do is a dreadful song. So tuneless and generic.
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    Ed Sheeran - I liked 'Lego House' and 'Drunk' a bit but his album was a snooze fest and I don't get how he's sold so many albums and everyone seems to adore him. Yawn.

Forgot about him. His music is soooo boring :yawn: He was dreadful at the Jubilee concert.
    neon tiger wrote: »
    I don't know what the purpose of Nicki Minaj is either. Quite frankly, she scares me.

She seems very fake to me.
    Michael bublbe, so average it hurts.

Oh I can't stand him. What do people see in him? I saw him on TV singing a cover of some Christmas song and I thought he was awful.
    The snowball effect of Adele reminds me of the film Titanic. I'm not sure that a lot of people who brought 21 are massive music buyers - it just seems to have transcended into a whole new fashion, a lot of middle aged women just seem to buy that album - because.....

I think some of them (but obviously not all) are the type who buy 1 or 2 CDs a year from Tesco.
    Nemokins wrote: »
    Jake Bugg.

Just why is he so popular? Is it because he plays the guitar and writes his own songs? I fail to see the appeal :confused:
    Robbie williams all the way. I think he actually deserves praise for managing to fool the public into thinking he is a talented performer. He cant really sing and his songs are terrible. Most of his songs are 'what rhymes with this word regardless of whether or not it makes sense'.
    He also looks like Freddo the frog from chocolate bars.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Lana Del Rey, Rita Ora, Adele (but I like her as a person), Robbie Williams, Jessie J,
  • Options
    ll_Calypso_llll_Calypso_ll Posts: 4,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fun. - The lead singer's voice is so grating. They're pretty shocking live too.

Oh, and Emeli Sande has a tendency to put me in a coma.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Usher & Muse, same drivel over and over.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
    Forum Member
    Pitbull, Flo rida, and 99% of UK rappers especially professor green. Ugh.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    For me it would have to be The Killers and Coldplay, both could a couple of decent songs but wouldn't be bothered if i never heard them again. I am a big rock music fan but i dont get them two bands at all

Agreed.

I would add U2, Arctic Monkeys and Lana Del Ray.
  • Options
    zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with everything that's been said about:

Jessie J
    James Arthur
    Will.I. Am - I seriously can't stand him as a solo act - I actually like some of the Black Eyed Peas - PLEASE stick to that!
    Lana Del Rey - I just don't get the appeal.

By the way, I don't like One Direction, but I wouldn't add them in this category - what is there not to get? They are perfect for mostly young teen fanbase who think they sing all the immature bubblegum love songs for them, who enjoy their looks and average singing. Simon saw this opportunity and grabbed it.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rihanna - skank for chavs
    Robbie Williams - Candy was just embarrassing
    Emile Sande
    Jessie J
    Adele - hyped beyond her ability IMO.
    Morrisey - you aren't deep and profound, you're just a pretentious twit.
    Olly Murs - A cut price Robbie (if it's possible to get any more cut price than Robbie)
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one I just could take to was James Blunt - I was supposed to be the demographic age to like him but all I could say was YUK!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dizzee Rascal
    Fun.
    Rita Ora
    One Direction
    Tulisa
    Jake Bugg
  • Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who has to collaborate with some one....
    somebody who feat's this or Vs that while feat'....... etc..
    Just grow some Cojones and learn how to write your own music instead of doing it with someone else.. here's looking at you most of you american rappers and dance acts...YOUR ALL TERRIBLE.
  • Options
    soulmusicsoulmusic Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this will be very unpopular on here, but Beyonce. I think she is actually a great performer but her music leaves me cold.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulmusic wrote: »
    I know this will be very unpopular on here, but Beyonce. I think she is actually a great performer but her music leaves me cold.

I agree with you.
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    soulmusic wrote: »

Agree, I liked Destiny's Child and I remember watching the Crazy in Love video for the first time hoping for something brilliant. After about five seconds in I was like what the hell is this boring crap and that's how I've felt about most of her solo work ever since.
    So much potential , but I'm sure she gives a crap what I think.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adele. Adele Adele Adele. :sleep:

Never ever got the hype surrounding this woman. All of her songs, even the slightly chirpier ones, are morose, depressing, and probably the worst crime of all- THEY ALL SOUND EXACTLY THE SAME :eek: Plus her voice (singing and talking-wise) leaves very little to be desired.

All the fuss and fawning surrounding her really annoys me too because I just...just...I just don't get it.

How the hell did she wind up breaking all these records and winning all these awards?!?
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    You put it almost exactly as I was going to.

I get that she sings mildly pleasant if rather dull songs and that she's a good antidote to other artists who are too showbizzy or who have to make themselves look ridiculous to get attention, whereas Adele just does what she does with no fuss, but even so, why is she SO popular, not just with the public but with critics as well? Why has she won just about every award going in the last 3 years?

If you compare her with artists of the past (i.e. other solo female singer-songwriters) she ranks moderately alongside singers who have done well both commercially and critically but none of whom had so much flattery and attention with the possible exception of Kate Bush, whom Adele comes nowhere even close to in terms of songwriting and singing talent.

Maybe people are just grateful for some genuine soul in songs in a world of pop which is either manufactured or polished into bland insignificance, even if the soul is lacking any real depth or substance. Adele's songs might resonate on an emotional level but they're just too insubstantial and I would have thought that at least critics would notice this, this lack of substance, but apparently not.

Agree with you guys. I don't dislike Adele but I just don't get why she is so hyped. She's just so 'meh' to me.
    As a lifelong soul music fan, it almost offends me when she's called a soul singer. She really , really isn't a soul artist in any way that I understand the term *soul*. She's a pop singer of nice but bland pop songs, nothing ,more.