Options

How will self-checkouts work when bags are 5p?

Comments

• Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see how there will be any queueing for bags.
    When you go into the self-scan area you walk passed the attendant. If you need bags you just ask for them then, he/she goes with you to your self-scan checkout and scans the barcode for the bag.
    Job done.

There often isn't anyone standing around doing nothing in particular, and if there were to be such a job created this would add to costs which won't go down well at the moment.

The 'attendant' who is presently there will often not be standing waiting to hand out bags but dealing with an issue at one of the tills.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    If the scanner reports an anomaly, the assistant has to scan all the shopping as normal. The person will then be on a "list" of people to check frequently. Successful checks will rebuild their reputation.

When it first started here, I forgot to scan something fairly trivial and the assistant was fine with it. It meant I was checked the next couple of times, but since then I've had it once in about 10 visits.

I'd imagine if someone kept "forgetting" or the scanner is always "faulty" they'll be banned from using the service.

But of course, their excuse about the scanner is bullshit anyway because the screen asks if anything didn't scan before you're selected for a check.

Interesting, I would love to use this but things tend to get chucked into my trolley on the sneak by my son and oh so I would probably be banned from using it before long.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    Interesting, I would love to use this but things tend to get chucked into my trolley on the sneak by my son and oh so I would probably be banned from using it before long.
    The idea is you pack as you go as well as scan. So if you can stop him throwing things in the bags, you can assume that the only things not scanned are what's lying loose in the trolley.

It's a great system, but hardly anyone uses it - which helps contribute to its greatness. I use it even if I'm only buying one thing because it saves queuing for a normal (self-service) checkout.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    The staff keep hold of the bags so you can't get one with out asking them first, pretty hard to steal them when they are right beside you.

Tesco in Seacroft tried doing that some years ago but it didn't last very long.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's fill the whole discussion page with bag tax :D

Anyone else want to start a new thread.:p
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see how there will be any queueing for bags.
    When you go into the self-scan area you walk passed the attendant. If you need bags you just ask for them then, he/she goes with you to your self-scan checkout and scans the barcode for the bag.
    Job done.

9 times out of 10 the attendant is dealing with a problem and is not available to hand out bags. .They could of course employ someone else to stand there all day handing out bags, but as Spot said that is not really the aim of these self service checkouts.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wear clothes with really really big pockets.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could always take your own bags.

or use another retailers bag just to really piss them off.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    i suspect different supermarkets will have different solutions.

Already there are vending machine manufacturers working on machines which dispense bags, for everyone you pull out an amount can be added to the bill.

Alternatively some may revert to the old Safeway shop and scan system where you have a plastic container which fits in a specially adapted trolley (they held four if memory serves)

Scan the shop, then wheel the trolley to the car and load the containers straight into the boot.

It was a great system.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this is truely about saving the environment I can't see why the supermarkets can't issue free paper bags instead of plastic ones.

But then, of course, the supermarkets get to keep the profits from selling plastic bags.....

We always take our own bags anway, the best ones we have found are those sold by E.Leclerc in France, they are huge and last for years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    i suspect different supermarkets will have different solutions.

Already there are vending machine manufacturers working on machines which dispense bags, for everyone you pull out an amount can be added to the bill.

Alternatively some may revert to the old Safeway shop and scan system where you have a plastic container which fits in a specially adapted trolley (they held four if memory serves)

Scan the shop, then wheel the trolley to the car and load the containers straight into the boot.

It was a great system.

Yeah great if you don't have a car.
  • Options
    KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    If this is truely about saving the environment I can't see why the supermarkets can't issue free paper bags instead of plastic ones.

But then, of course, the supermarkets get to keep the profits from selling plastic bags.....

We always take our own bags anway, the best ones we have found are those sold by E.Leclerc in France, they are huge and last for years.

Paper bags are not much better for the environment than plastic. Paper bags cause more pollution and require more energy to produce than plastic. Paper bags cannot be reused as much as plastic, and although they can be recycled this is quite an energy intensive process too.

The best solution is to encourage people to reuse, which this charge is an attempt at.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    If the scanner reports an anomaly, the assistant has to scan all the shopping as normal. The person will then be on a "list" of people to check frequently. Successful checks will rebuild their reputation.

When it first started here, I forgot to scan something fairly trivial and the assistant was fine with it. It meant I was checked the next couple of times, but since then I've had it once in about 10 visits.

I'd imagine if someone kept "forgetting" or the scanner is always "faulty" they'll be banned from using the service.

But of course, their excuse about the scanner is bullshit anyway because the screen asks if anything didn't scan before you're selected for a check.

Is this at a Tesco? I've been using ours for almost two years and only ever been checked 3 times. The last time was about a year ago and I actually genuinely forgot to scan a crate of beer. As the scanner flashed up about the random check it suddenly crossed my mind that I'd not scanned the beer so I mentioned it to the bloke as he came over. He just said no worries and scanned them through. I've not had a check at all since then!
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been like this in M&S for ages.

The machine asks how many bags you have used and adds the cost to your bill.

And a full page of discussion after this was pointed out!. About what?
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And a full page of discussion after this was pointed out!. About what?
    About the fact that not all shops are doing what M&S do.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I take my own bags when I go shopping.

But sometimes I end up in places where I didn't plan on doing any shopping, and end up doing so. I wouldn't mind paying for bags, but they are so flimsy that the handles break before you get far and I certainly don't want to advertise the store, if I'm paying for bags.

How ridiculous is that - we pay them to advertise their store!?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take my own bags when I go shopping.

But sometimes I end up in places where I didn't plan on doing any shopping, and end up doing so. I wouldn't mind paying for bags, but they are so flimsy that the handles break before you get far and I certainly don't want to advertise the store, if I'm paying for bags.

How ridiculous is that - we pay them to advertise their store!?

Good point at the moment they give us a free bag we walk around with it advertising their store, now we will pay them maybe all bags should be logo free then, or they say to us we will pay the 5p for you if have a bag with our logo on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    So, as of next year we`ll actually be paying the supermarkets to be their mobile, walking adverts. Brilliant......

The beloved Aldi and Lidl already do in the UK. Quite surprised that your argument hasn't been used for these two. But then again, they are the favourite supermarkets at the moment (no ill speaking of them) until it is their turn for all and sundry to have a go at.
  • Options
    The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Welsh have managed to cope for years
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    So, as of next year we`ll actually be paying the supermarkets to be their mobile, walking adverts. Brilliant......

Well I won't be. That's because I already own these things called shopping bags, and I will carry on using them.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The FBI wrote: »
    The Welsh have managed to cope for years

I know. It's amazing isn't it. Perhaps they use those newfangled inventions called 'shopping bags' instead. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Put plastic bags into a national scheme.
    Legislate that all shops must have programmable tills *
    Make it illegal to avoid using plastic bags.
    Programme all tills so that shops take your NI number on a purchase and note how many bags are used.**
    At the end of the year either adjust people's tax code to recover the cost, or adjust benefits/pensions/tax credits etc.
    Increase price of bags annually by linking to RPI.
    Stick the money in the Treasury to spend on pointless political stuff and failed schemes.
    Blame the last government for thinking of it in the first place

* this will also help prevent tax avoidance
    ** this will also be another step further down the line of having benefits paid directly to shops
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't wait for this to come in
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Cardboard boxes.

They are used to deliver stock to the stores and could be used by interested customers to take their shopping home, then into the recycling bin.

No additional energy costs. No plastic bags. No need for expensive store staff to break them up after shelf stacking and wheel them into the loading bays. No inefficiency. No problem.

Just like the olden days!
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    No doubt at Morrissons this will throw the already unreliable self-serve checkout machines into an even greater degree of non-compliance.

Their self service tills are the worst I've ever used! It doesn't matter which Morrissons you use, they are all crap!