Scorpion: Season 1 - ITV2 UK Pace

MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,537
Forum Member
✭✭
Premiered tonight. Well it was first on at 9pm but it gets a repeat showing later in the night so i caught it at 1.40am. I rarely watch anything on ITV2 let alone any US shows. I can't even remember the last US show i watched on the channel it's been that long.

Anyway i gave this a shot tonight and thought it was brilliant, really enjoyable. Having said that it was the pilot so it's meant to show-offy but it's a very easy and likable show to watch. The plotline was completely absurd and over the top and i didn't understand much of the techno jargon but the show's based on the real Walter O'Brien and his case files, so who knows.

Funny thing about it is that it starts off with Scorpion being a small white pale Irish kid with brown hair who later grows up to be tall and tanned with black curly hair and an American accent. Lol. The only actors i recognised in the show were Robert Patrick and Eddie Kaye Thomas. The pilot was directed by Justin Lin who directed Fast and Furious 5 & 6 and is also executive producing.

I think i'll give Ep2 a watch next week and see if it does enough to get me to continue watching the rest of the season. Thumbs up so far for the pilot episode. Anyone else watch this tonight?

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Premiered tonight. Well it was first on at 9pm but it gets a repeat showing later in the night so i caught it at 1.40am. I rarely watch anything on ITV2 let alone any US shows. I can't even remember the last US show i watched on the channel it's been that long.

Anyway i gave this a shot tonight and thought it was brilliant, really enjoyable. Having said that it was the pilot so it's meant to show-offy but it's a very easy likable show. The plotline was completely absurd and over the top but the show's based on the real Walter O'Brian and his case files, so who knows.

Funny thing about it is that it starts off with Scorpion being a small white pale Irish kid with brown hair who later grows up to be tall and tanned with black curly hair and an American accent. Lol. The only actors i recognised in the show were Robert Patrick and Eddie Kaye Thomas. The pilot was directed by Justin Lin who directed Fast and Furious 5 & 6 and is also executive producing.

I think i'll give Ep2 a watch next week and see if it does enough to get me to continue watching the rest of the season. Thumbs up so far for the pilot episode. Anyone else watch this tonight?

It's a good show for ITV 2 to get but I worry that it might go the way of 'Intelligence' in the US. E.g. low ratings.

They need to get the mix of fun and seriousness right, and make sure the group dynamics work well.

This is where 'Intelligence' failed. It was too serious and the group never really felt right.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed this, I like how the 'team' gel together, good combo of people.
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never watch ITV2 but gave this a try, I enjoyed it, but then I do have a rather low level of expectation at the moment.

If there is nothing else on then I'll watch it, cos other stuff at the same time has been a disappointment.
  • Michael09Michael09 Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its a great show, will be watching every week!
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael09 wrote: »
    I think its a great show, will be watching every week!

Well, the science and technology used are nonsense but as long as you watch it as mindless entertainment then it's great fun. 24 was never realistic but that didn't stop it being great TV.

The biggest problem I have so far is with the Happy character - the actress is terrible and she has a very annoying voice. The rest of the cast seem to work well together though.
  • Chas1989Chas1989 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed the pilot. Nothing special but watchable. Nice to see Robert Patrick in something.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Well, the science and technology used are nonsense but as long as you watch it as mindless entertainment then it's great fun. 24 was never realistic but that didn't stop it being great TV.

That's the thing that annoyed me most about this - we are supposed to believe that the lead is some hot IT wizard - and he seemed lost and as for a major airport not keeping backups before a major upgrade PLEASE! If I did that my feet would not touch the ground before I was fired.

Enjoyable - but brain switch off time.
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member

One of the other Executive Producers is Scooter Braun, who is the arsehole Justin Bieber's manager, which raises the disturbing possibility of a guest appearance by the little scrote :o:o

The lead is Elyes Gabel, who is actually British, and was a cop in Season3 of Body of Proof, and the short-lived ITV series Identity. I also recognised Eddie Kay Thomas from American Pie.

Frankly I thought it was utter crap, absolutely absurd nonsense that repeatedly abused the audience's suspension of disbelief by refusing to countenance any kind of real-world logic whatsoever (there are literally dozens of airports in LA - planes can easily divert elsewhere, buzzing a car at 10 feet off the ground to plug in a network cable is just stupid nonsense)

I'll give it a 2nd look this week but my first impression was that Scorpion is badly written, ridiculously plotted gak that is not sufficiently well done to be acceptable even as brain-dead entertainment.
  • Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phil solo wrote: »
    One of the other Executive Producers is Scooter Braun, who is the arsehole Justin Bieber's manager, which raises the disturbing possibility of a guest appearance by the little scrote :o:o

Wouldn't surprise me at all. He'll probably be as laughably bad as he was in 'CSI'. :p
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the other Executive Producers is Scooter Braun, who is the arsehole Justin Bieber's manager, which raises the disturbing possibility of a guest appearance by the little scrote :o:o.

Really?! I didn't catch his name but very surprising. Didn't know he was involved in tv now. He's the manager of quite a few bratty pop stars including the new one Ariana Grande.
    The lead is Elyes Gabel, who is actually British, and was a cop in Season3 of Body of Proof, and the short-lived ITV series Identity. I also recognised Eddie Kay Thomas from American Pie.

Didn't know that either! So he is actually British? Wow. I've never seen him before in anything. Well he plays an American very well indeed! :D

Nice to see another Brit being the lead of US tv show! Yay! :)
  • peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member

Didn't know that either! So he is actually British? Wow. I've never seen him before in anything. Well he plays an American very well indeed! :D

Nice to see another Brit being the lead of US tv show! Yay! :)

Yeah he played the virgin Doctor Guppy in Casualty for a couple of years https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFavUQhYxE8. He was also a zombie in Dead Set.

I thought it was OK, but the voice of the female genius was really horrible to listen to.
  • cf80cf80 Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    I started watching at US pace (not gonna post any spoilers, don't worry!) but gave up after episode 3. It just gets so far fetched and ridiculous that I couldn't give it any more of my time.

It's a shame, as like many people have posted here, the pilot episode was very entertaining and I really wanted to give it a go…I thought it would be my 'check your brain at the door' show for this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cf80 wrote: »
    I started watching at US pace (not gonna post any spoilers, don't worry!) but gave up after episode 3. It just gets so far fetched and ridiculous that I couldn't give it any more of my time.

It's a shame, as like many people have posted here, the pilot episode was very entertaining and I really wanted to give it a go…I thought it would be my 'check your brain at the door' show for this year.

Yes, it's total nonsense and the acting terrible but I can't help liking it. It's Num3ers meets the A Team.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been confirmed that Scorpion has been given a full season pick-up of 22 episodes.

That doesn't mean it's been renewed for season 2 just that that first season will have a full series of episodes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Biohazard viral hacking?

Ok second episode but wasn't all that exciting to be honest.

Happy's accent certainly starting to grate, very unsual voice. Eddie Kaye Thomas who plays Toby seems to be the only one who looks like he's having fun.

I'll stick with it for the time being.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it's working for me at the moment, based on lack of competition, at least it is entertaining. I just hope ITV 2 don't start messing around with the schedule.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Frankly I thought it was utter crap, absolutely absurd nonsense that repeatedly abused the audience's suspension of disbelief by refusing to countenance any kind of real-world logic whatsoever (there are literally dozens of airports in LA - planes can easily divert elsewhere, buzzing a car at 10 feet off the ground to plug in a network cable is just stupid nonsense)

I'll give it a 2nd look this week but my first impression was that Scorpion is badly written, ridiculously plotted gak that is not sufficiently well done to be acceptable even as brain-dead entertainment.

Well here's what the real Walter O'Brien looks like... Certainly not the same http://www.scorpioncomputerservices.com/the_founder.html
    new one Ariana Grande

Hey hey hey, she gets away with it

(And before anyone says, she's actually older than me)
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to control myself when they go too far across the line with the 'magic' - copying entire backups in a couple of seconds, special wifi to hack the airport... I didn't mind the mobile car network cable because I can let that go into the 'adventure' bracket. The absurd bit there was expecting anyone to believe that you would have a spare network cable that was long enough because *there is no such thing* :p

And this week with the CDC magic virus cure in two hours was pushing it just a tad...

Or did I miss the bit where actually this is set 10 years in the future so lots of new fancy stuff got invented between now and then?

I am enjoying this one, in spite of the jarring bumper ads nigh-on destroying the viewing experience (already btched about this on the 'worst ads' thread)...
  • LMLM Posts: 63,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been confirmed that Scorpion has been given a full season pick-up of 22 episodes.

That doesn't mean it's been renewed for season 2 just that that first season will have a full series of episodes.

A second season is more than likely
    It's been one of the breakout hits in the states, alongside How to get away with Murder and the new NCIS
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member

No appearance by the Canadian brat so far (too busy hiding from the Argentinian police I guess!) but there's some absurd nonsense involving Katherine McPhee's character coming up soon.

For those who are really spoilerphobic I won't say exactly what happens but as a clue, McPhee didn't first come to fame as an actress.
  • clsyorkshireclsyorkshire Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm enjoying it so far.

I've read countless ridiculous posts on IMDB from viewers complaining that some of the content isn't realistic.

Why can't people just take it for what it is which is for the purposes of entertainment?

IT'S A TV SHOW PEOPLE. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it is supposed to be fantastical and therefore not very realistic, BUT it does start out so earnest and serious, almost like the makers I trying to get the viewer to think what they are doing is really really important and 'real'.

Still enjoy the show, it's just we all know it is a bit of a stretch from reality, so can't the makers accept this, instead of when something incredibly unbelievable occurs you have to laugh at the absurdity of it all.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I gather (missed it and missed the ITVPlayer window), that airport had piss-poor change and release management...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm thinking of giving this show a miss. I've watched the first 5 episodes and it's light, it's frothy, it's escapist entertainment but i prefer my US drama's to have a bit more meat on its bones and this show is sadly lacking in that department.

I don't mind that it's so OTT, i think it's just the fact that i don't really care about any of the characters. There's nothing for me to invest in, so i'll watch the next episode and then decide if i'm in or out.

If it's true about McPhee's character singing then that's a big no-no from me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking of giving this show a miss. I've watched the first 5 episodes and it's light, it's frothy, it's escapist entertainment but i prefer my US drama's to have a bit more meat on its bones and this show is sadly lacking in that department.

It's true that there is no meat but it's good to have at least one show every week that you can watch with your brain turned off. Just treat it as the A Team with geeks and go with the flow.