2»

Comments

• Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love this thread... :-)

my top 5 in reverse order

5. Impossible Planet / Satan Pit:- nice edge of the seat ending - although a little bit of a let down as part 2 commenced..

4. The Sontaran Experiment:- Loved all that sontaran taking his helmet off thing. Very nicely done Liz Sladen

3. Stolen Earth / Journeys end:- I only wish I hadn't known it was still tennant as the Doctor as they were filming the christmas special whilst this episode aired. So the twist didn't surprise me that much

2. Utopia:- The best ten minutes of new who by a distance

1. Genesis of the Daleks part 1:- Sarah peers through a crack and we see Davros for the first time and then a zoom shot to a Dalek. A masterclass in Drama, perfect lighting and creepy 'oh no don't get caught looking' suspense... ver very good :-)
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    Remembrance of the Daleks 1, City of Death 1 and Full Circle 1.

Ooh, and Talons 1

Maybe The Daleks 1 and the one with the repetetive Daleks from Power of the Daleks

And Resurrection of the Daleks episode 1

Perhaps I should elaborate on my earlier list:

Remembrance 1: This is a historic moment for obvious reasons - preserving the shock factor for something we never thought we'd see.

Remembrance 2: Surely one of the all-time greats simply for how awesome Ace was in fighting the Daleks

City of Death 1: - another shocking cliffhanger, the last person you expect the Count to be is Scaroth!

Full Circle :1, Sea Devils (that one!) and Talons: 1 cliffhangers: all brilliant because they feature creatures from your worst nightmares making their first appearance in dramatic style

The Daleks: 1 - need I say more?

Power of the Daleks: 5 (I think) - truly terrifying as the Daleks remind you just how psychotic and hell-bent on destruction they can be

Resurrection of the Daleks: 1 - The Dalek is trapped in a watrehouse with the Doctor and his team, screaming "exterminate" at the top of its voice. What's not to frighten you?

Earthshock: 1 - anyone who knows the secretive publicity of this story around original transmission knows how shocking it can be. A double-whammy, the Cybermen and Adric's death.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cannot believe that we haven't had more people reply to this thread. :o
    comedyfish wrote: »
    I can well believe it:

lets have this unexpected twist...

OK, then what?

Um... they chase around the TARDIS for 15 minutes

EDIT: here ir\t is on youtube for those that haven't seen it want to see it again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgtnL6uMQkw

I have just looked at the youtube clip featuring the end of Invasion of Time part 4, and it is good! What a shocking twist that was! People thinking that the following week, there would be a new story, but...No! Another two parts to this one was shown. Gosh! :o
    allen_who wrote: »

I'm glad you love this thread! :D I'm sorry that it has gone quiet on here for nearly two weeks. :(
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Bumping your own threads, tut tut!
    ;-)
    Anyway, still Earthshock is the one I always remember.
    I'll never forget going to see a friend later in the evening after the transmission, and he opened the door and with one voice we simultaneously said one word..... "Cybermen!"
    Magical.
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Bumping your own threads, tut tut!
    ;-)
    Anyway, still Earthshock is the one I always remember.
    I'll never forget going to see a friend later in the evening after the transmission, and he opened the door and with one voice we simultaneously said one word..... "Cybermen!"
    Magical.

I was just going through the pages on this forum to see what has been 'put to the end of the pile' so to speak, and noticed this one again. I'd forgotten about this thread. I've had so much on my mind the last week. I'm glad I have put this one on the first page again. :D
  • Options
    Mr SetaMr Seta Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    Agree on Earthshock. I still remember the shock & anticipation on seeing the cybermen's return at the conclusion of episode 1.

Any cliffhangers are good though.

Bring back the cliffhanger I say -more 2x 45 min episodes!!!
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like that one that just zooms in on Colin Baker's face. I think it's in Series 23.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »
    I like that one that just zooms in on Colin Baker's face. I think it's in Series 23.

I think you are thinking of Mindwarp from The Trial of a Time Lord, in which Peri dies.

This is the end of that story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e20Wn7Z7uAI&feature=player_detailpage#t=127
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the end of H N in 2007 . End of TOTA was good too 11 does his speach and shoots the gravity globe. S6 had Amy giving birth at the end of AH and Rivers true identity as Melody Pond finally revealed in AGMGTW. Hope we will have some good cliffhangers in S8. Must be room for a couple of two part episodes. Think episodes 8.4 and 8.5 might be when Danny joins Clara and 12 on their adventures across time and space.Two part finale fighting a big bad would be ace.:)
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TEDR wrote: »

As CB himself has noted there were several episodes in Season 23 that ended with a zoom in on The Doctor's face!

• Options
    BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    As CB himself has noted there were several episodes in Season 23 that ended with a zoom in on The Doctor's face!

All but two or three, isn't it?

I love in The Television Companion when they list the Trial cliffhangers, and try to make each one sound different ("The Doctor looks scared"; "The Doctor looks angry"; "The Doctor looks defiant"; "The Doctor looks perturbed" etc.) :D
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whenever this subject comes up, its always the end of episodes 1 & 4 of Earthshock that springs to mind.

Never before or since have I been so in awe of a cliffhanger or story ending.

The next time I got something remotely like that was at the end of Utopia.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Caves of Androzani 3
    Rememberance of the Daleks 1
    The Impossible Planet / The Satan Pit
    The Daleks 1
    Bad Wolf / The Parting of the Ways
    Genesis of the Daleks 5
    Utopia / The Sound of Drums
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Sarah Jane robot face.
    11’s fake regeneration.
    The War Doctor Reveal.
    Utopia
    The 50th's search for Gallifrey ending, kind of a cliff hanger in that it sets up of the future direction of the series.
    Turn Left's Bad Wolf.
    End Of Time part 1 - Timelords reveal.
    The Sound Of Drums, Martha sods off in on a quest, millions of Toclefane swarm towards London.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    I think you are thinking of Mindwarp from The Trial of a Time Lord, in which Peri dies.

This is the end of that story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e20Wn7Z7uAI&feature=player_detailpage#t=127

I loved this part of TOAT but hated the happy(ish) ending resolution at the end.

stolen earth finish was great (shame a week of anticipation was wasted on a such a poor episode).
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Surprised that nobody's mentioned (apologies if they have and I missed it!) part 3 of "Horror of Fang Rock" when the Doctor realises that instead of locking the monster outside he's locked it inside with them.
  • Options
    Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allen_who wrote: »

my top 5 in reverse order

5. Impossible Planet / Satan Pit:- nice edge of the seat ending - although a little bit of a let down as part 2 commenced..

4. The Sontaran Experiment:- Loved all that sontaran taking his helmet off thing. Very nicely done Liz Sladen

3. Stolen Earth / Journeys end:- I only wish I hadn't known it was still tennant as the Doctor as they were filming the christmas special whilst this episode aired. So the twist didn't surprise me that much

2. Utopia:- The best ten minutes of new who by a distance

1. Genesis of the Daleks part 1:- Sarah peers through a crack and we see Davros for the first time and then a zoom shot to a Dalek. A masterclass in Drama, perfect lighting and creepy 'oh no don't get caught looking' suspense... ver very good :-)

I agree 100% Just been rewatching the whole of series 3 again. Utopia is certainly in my top three new Who episodes ever. Last few minutes give me a tingle every time and the whole story is so well written.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmz1QdzQ5ZI&list=PLE7EBA9FFB66B3ABB&feature=share&index=17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I9jiMVVf_I&feature=share&list=PLE7EBA9FFB66B3ABB&index=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcER7ln_DLQ&feature=share&list=PLE7EBA9FFB66B3ABB&index=19

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VHRwM053WI&feature=share&list=PLE7EBA9FFB66B3ABB&index=20

Graeme Harper is a great director and I've loved all his action stuff for new Who :)
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love the end of the final part of Arc of Infinity.
    Omega, after centuries of exile in the anti-matter world, has got corporeal form in our universe again, as a Peter Davidson lookalike. We see him wandering Amsterdam. He stops to watch some sort of street show for children, and catches the eye of a young boy, who smiles innocently at him. Omega just stares impassively for a moment-even threateningly, the viewer fears. Then, suddenly, awkwardly, as if rediscovering a long-forgotten skill, his face twitches, and he clumsily half-smiles at the boy. He then looks up at the organ playing, as part of the street show, and we see him smile, as he seems to recall the innocent pleasure of music. The Doctor, though, in pursuit of him, knows Omega's human form is only a matter of time, and we see the newly-embodied man's joy at regaining proper life start to turn to horror, as he becomes slowly physically discovered. Finally, he is cornered on the jetty by the Doctor, who is forced to put him out of his misery and vaporise him with the blaster gun to save the rest of the universe from destruction as Omega returns to a state of anti-matter. I find this climax really poignant and moving. Omega is not just another barnstorming megalomaniac villain in the end. We pity him and feel pathos on his behalf.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the ending of Daleks in Manhattan. That was a great piece of writing from RTD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPZXsIDBf5o

• Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    I can't believe I missed off Evil of the Daleks episode 1 from my earlier list!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't really into spoilers when it aired, so that last scene in The Stolen Earth was mental to me :D
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All but two or three, isn't it?

I love in The Television Companion when they list the Trial cliffhangers, and try to make each one sound different ("The Doctor looks scared"; "The Doctor looks angry"; "The Doctor looks defiant"; "The Doctor looks perturbed" etc.) :D

Yes, they were a bit like that! :D

Ironically the one that didn't feature the zoom in's okay. Mel's screaming into the credit at the end of the first Vervoid episode was quite effective.