Options

Memento - Views?

FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
Forum Member
✭✭
What are people's thoughts on Memento? I really enjoyed it, but not sure I'd watch it again.

I have a question though..

Was Leonard really Sammy? was never explored..

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It defiantly opens up people's eyes how to treat people with mental health conditions.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it when I first saw it and i immediately added it to my list of favourite films. I even have it stored on my NAS drive in full 1080p.

BUT ..

I've literally only ever watched it once and have had no compelling desire to go back to re-watch it since i saw it at the cinema, so keeping it saved does seem to be a bit weird :)
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this film.

A lot is left for the viewer to decipher and make sense of, I think you are supposed to be left with ambiguity. I've watched it a handful of times. Watching it again when you know the ending is interesting, you pick up on everything looking for clues.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love it :)
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epic film making
  • Options
    Mairi_CameronMairi_Cameron Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    I only watched it fairly recently - it'd been on my list to watch ever since it came out and all the reviews meant I had high expectations. I just didn't like it at all, felt really let down by it. I suppose if I watch it again maybe I'll get more from it but to be honest it'd be a chore!
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Didn't do much for me. An overblown parlour trick, and not much more.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a good film which I enjoyed watching for the first time.
    I watched it again, I still liked it, but I don't think it's a film which benefits from repeat viewings. It was significantly less rewarding on the second viewing.

It works with the conceit it uses, but I don't think the story on its own is that engaging when you have pieced the story together after seeing it once and you look at the story more closely. But as I say it works with the conceit it uses, which I suppose is what you'd watch it for, and if anyone hasn't seen it before I'd still recommend it.

It's not for everyone though, and if you do recommend it to anybody I wouldn't hype it up too much as their expectations may be too high for it.

I wonder if anyone has edited a version together so that it plays in a linear form with all the parts in the correct order? I'd bet that somebody has and there's probably such a version on a video sharing site like Youtube.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if anyone has edited a version together so that it plays in a linear form with all the parts in the correct order? I'd bet that somebody has and there's probably such a version on a video sharing site like Youtube.

That's actually an extra on the DVD/Blu-ray.
  • Options
    The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    One of my favourite films. Unlike others here I have watched it many times and have enjoyed it greatly every time. The first time watching (especially if knowing little of what to expect) obviously has an effect that is never the same again but it is certainly a film that becomes a richer, or at least broader, experience on repeated viewings. Some details take on more significance or are more interesting when you know what will happen later. I have also watched it in linear order (it is a DVD extra as mentioned but the DVD I had required some work as it was an Easter egg rather than a clear option). It was interesting to watch that way but works better in original form.

I like how the structure of the film mirrors Leonard's own experience, disorienting the viewer, and think it is a marvel of construction. This only becomes more apparent on repeated viewings in my opinion. I have noticed that when talking about the film people will often suggest that it is explicitly clear what happened, who is who, and so on. I don't think this is true. Yes there are clear indications and on face value it seems possible to clarify the mysteries but there is also enough ambiguity and sense of unreliable narrator to leave doubt. For example (to answer your original question OP), most people I have talked to believe Leonard was Sammy but I still think this is left somewhat open to interpretation. It fits on face value but there are some aspects to that which leave it unclear in my opinion.

It has an atmosphere and pace that some might not like, or may not be in the mood for at the time. Also the characters are not generally likeable but these aspects suit me fine. I would agree it is a bad idea to hype it up if suggesting it to someone as that may give the wrong impression. That said, it is my still my favourite Nolan film, and I think his most fully realized and impressive film (albeit I like his films generally). I am a little surprised at the lukewarm, even negative, comments here (maybe something to do with watching after hearing hype?) but I think it is a masterpiece. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Bonobo wrote: »
    One of my favourite films. Unlike others here I have watched it many times and have enjoyed it greatly every time. The first time watching (especially if knowing little of what to expect) obviously has an effect that is never the same again but it is certainly a film that becomes a richer, or at least broader, experience on repeated viewings. Some details take on more significance or are more interesting when you know what will happen later. I have also watched it in linear order (it is a DVD extra as mentioned but the DVD I had required some work as it was an Easter egg rather than a clear option). It was interesting to watch that way but works better in original form.

I like how the structure of the film mirrors Leonard's own experience, disorienting the viewer, and think it is a marvel of construction. This only becomes more apparent on repeated viewings in my opinion. I have noticed that when talking about the film people will often suggest that it is explicitly clear what happened, who is who, and so on. I don't think this is true. Yes there are clear indications and on face value it seems possible to clarify the mysteries but there is also enough ambiguity and sense of unreliable narrator to leave doubt. For example (to answer your original question OP), most people I have talked to believe Leonard was Sammy but I still think this is left somewhat open to interpretation. It fits on face value but there are some aspects to that which leave it unclear in my opinion.

It has an atmosphere and pace that some might not like, or may not be in the mood for at the time. Also the characters are not generally likeable but these aspects suit me fine. I would agree it is a bad idea to hype it up if suggesting it to someone as that may give the wrong impression. That said, it is my still my favourite Nolan film, and I think his most fully realized and impressive film (albeit I like his films generally). I am a little surprised at the lukewarm, even negative, comments here (maybe something to do with watching after hearing hype?) but I think it is a masterpiece. :)

Agree with everything you said, plus it gives viewers a understanding how people view other people with mental disabilities.. as opposed to someone with cancer where most people are sympathetic.. Leonard got taken advantage of by the hotel car to book 2 rooms, Natalie, even Jimmy.. very sad it's still an issue today 16 years later.

Carrie-Anne Moss is such a great actress, and Natalie perfectly sums up many crazy girls I've met.
  • Options
    The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Agree with everything you said, plus it gives viewers a understanding how people view other people with mental disabilities.. as opposed to someone with cancer where most people are sympathetic.. Leonard got taken advantage of by the hotel car to book 2 rooms, Natalie, even Jimmy.. very sad it's still an issue today 16 years later.

Carrie-Anne Moss is such a great actress, and Natalie perfectly sums up many crazy girls I've met.

Yes that is true. The Natalie character is interesting and I think you definitely see her, and her actions, differently on a repeated viewing. Some of her antics seem cruel, clever in a manipulative way, or even just confused or sceptical which I think is hard to fully see on first watch. Have you read the short story that started it off? It is written by Christopher Nolan's brother which he then developed for the film.

This link has the movie script and the short story is included after that in the document.
    https://stephenfollows.com/resource-docs/scripts/memento.pdf
  • Options
    Eques_99Eques_99 Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    It defiantly opens up people's eyes how to treat people with mental health conditions.

"Definitely", not "Defiantly"
  • Options
    Tom_MullenTom_Mullen Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant film, very clever. One of my favourites.
  • Options
    Wizard_of_OzilWizard_of_Ozil Posts: 1,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a film I admire a lot and in many ways it'll always be Christopher Nolan's signature film. But boy it's tough to watch. It was never one of my favourite Nolan films. It's a film that makes you work (which is a good thing in general of course). Narratively it's ingenious but at the expense of being a very cold and dour film. I've seen it about 5 or 6 times and initially I chastised myself for not 'getting' it. Deep down though, I don't think I ever really enjoyed re-watching it. I wanted to enjoy it but all that ended up happening was that I was just trying to keep up and piece together a puzzle. And it's indeed a clever puzzle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they don't remake it
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they don't remake it

Oh yeah, that was in the works wasn't it. Utterly pointless exercise.

I loved it, I actually found it better on 2nd viewing, knowing the end reveal puts everything into a new light. I found it quite fascinating to put the pieces together.