John Hurt is...... (POSSIBLE MAJOR SPOILER)

12346»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRT1968 wrote: »
    I told you... McGann's Doctor went back in time to the looms on Gallifrey and prevented a version of the first "Doctor" from existing because that version later went on to order the destruction of Alderaan simply to demonstrate the power of the fully operational battle station. In order to prevent a totally universe wiping paradox, however, he only altered his own first incarnation (Hartnell) who then went on to encounter the Daleks both on Skaro and during their invasion of Earth in 2150AD which the other first Doctor version would otherwise have encountered. The minor paradox he created doing this merely time-locked Gallifrey and the Dalek battle-fleet and the home worlds of a few other major species into a hive universe.

;)

You know, if Moffat had dropped Cushing's Doctor (Who) into The Name Of The Doctor, I would be giving him the kudos for having properly big balls.

I'm not saying it would have been right, but that would have been genuinely brave genuis/stupidly insane.*

*Delete as applicable. ;)
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Great Intelligence says of the Doctor...
    "...And he will have other names before the end: The Storm, The Beast, The Valeyard.”

...which implies that the Doctor's entombment at Trenzalore is after the creation of the Valeyard from the pov of the dead Doctor and his giant TARDIS.

But we also know that the Valeyard is...
    "...a distillation of the dark side of the Doctor's nature, somewhere between his twelfth and thirteenth incarnations"

...which would mean that the Doctor must have died in a later incarnation than 11.

However...

Clara says to the Doctor...
    "Clara: But I never saw that one. I saw all of you. Eleven faces, all of them you! You're the eleventh Doctor!"

Now whatever name Hurt's incarnation goes by, he's still an incarnation, and therin lies the problem with how this would all fit together...

If Hurt is the 9th incarnation that would make Smith really the 12th and there would have to be a 13th following him before his entombment which there isn't or Clara woud have seen him. Unless of course the Metacrisis regeneration counts but that would make10/11 the final regeneration and we didn't see the Valeyard turn up then.

But if Hurt is actually the incarnation AFTER Smith that would be a different kettle of fish...
    If you count the metacrisis a a used regeneraton then 11/12 would be the last regeneration, and the Valeyard's previous placing in Trial Of A Time Lord and GI's mention of him in relation to a personal future that will end at Trenzalore all fit together

The only other option considring that Clara only saw 12 faces, is that it's Smith's 11th Doctor who ies at Trenzalore, whereas get the feeling it's going to be Hurt.

The big game changer I think is that we are going to get to end of the Doctor's 13 incarnations, or a least be onto the 13th Doctor for series 8 :)
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Shoppy wrote: »
    But we also know that the Valeyard is...
    "...a distillation of the dark side of the Doctor's nature, somewhere between his twelfth and thirteenth incarnations"
    ...which would mean that the Doctor must have died in a later incarnation than 11.

Not to be all nit-picky, but they actually say: "...between his twelfth and final incarnations."

Which means it could be from any, depending on what they do with the regenerations - I know at the time they were working to the 13 incarnations rule, but it's a neat little get out completely by accident. And it is hugely unlikely that they will stop the Doctor from regenerating further, simply because of something stated a while back.