Options

Linkedin confusion

5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi

I've recieved a linkedin email request from someone. I have no interest in Linkedin so decided to hit the unsubscribe from receiving linkedin emails button. The problem is I am taken to a link to sign into Linkedin, which I obviously can't do as im not a member.
I don't understand why I need to sign into an account I don't have in order to stop receiving Linkedin junk.

Does anyone here know why I need to sign into a nonexistent account to stop receiving emails?

Comments

• Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5hane wrote: »
    Hi

I've recieved a linkedin email request from someone. I have no interest in Linkedin so decided to hit the unsubscribe from receiving linkedin emails button. The problem is I am taken to a link to sign into Linkedin, which I obviously can't do as im not a member.
    I don't understand why I need to sign into an account I don't have in order to stop receiving Linkedin junk.

Does anyone here know why I need to sign into a nonexistent account to stop receiving emails?

Don't hit the unsubscribe button, it's one of the ways you let phishers know they've hit an active address. Just ignore them.
  • Options
    5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't hit the unsubscribe button, it's one of the ways you let phishers know they've hit an active address. Just ignore them.

Hi. True. Thanks
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5hane wrote: »

Linkedin have many flavours of junk. They probably use a standard footer on all their emails that contains the unsubscribe link that requires sign in - but for non members the page it should take you to is this one:
    https://www.linkedin.com/psettings/guest-email-unsubscribe

If a member connects up their gmail, outlook etc - linkedin will give them the option to spam their contacts (it phrases it better but that's the gist of it). Or someone using the site could have just typed your email address in to send an invite. Giving them your email on the link above should stop that.

If it's just the one however I wouldn't bother. And if you don't trust them with your email adress - just flag the mails as spam