"Vendetta? Ain't that a posh ice cream?"

2»

Comments

• BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Lazy writing? I wouldn't expect any different from our beloved Corrie.
    The Vendetta/Viennetta line was clearly stolen from Psychoville.

This was just a poor rehashing, and I would've thought Cathy'd be the last person to spew crap like that.
  • Jessica_BobbingJessica_Bobbing Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davejc64 wrote: »
    Remember this is a suburb of Manchester where sitting at a table eating with a knife and fork instead of on the couch shovelling food in with a fork in front of the TV is considered posh. :D

:D:D:D
  • Jessica_BobbingJessica_Bobbing Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do the writers really think making the characters thick is amusing? That stuff only happens in pantomimes.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »
    She's not an ignorant woman, and wouldn't have come out with that
    It's more something Gemma or Beth might say

I agree, she seems a little more cultured than that.

Perhaps a bit above a Kirk-ism though.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    It didn't occur to me for a moment that Cathy wasn't meant to know what the word means. I assumed it was supposed to be a joke, a boring, dreadful, embarrassing pun ^_^

Corrie appears truly beyond repair nowadays.
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    Another line which tickled me last Night.

Was when Yasmeen said to Cathy, that she found her Glasses in the Fridge, who the hell leaves there glasses in the fridge
    I missed that but, if she said that, it sounds to me as if they are paving the way for a storyline about Alzheimer's disease or some other form of dementia.
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's that sort of try-hard writing I don't like in Corrie.

It's playing up to the show's reputation for comedy when it used to come natural and be in character. Jonathan Harvey is the worst for this.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TimWil014 wrote: »
    I look forward to Cathy confusing a Cornetto with a clarinet soon.

From an upcoming episode when Cathy and Roy are relaxing to some classical music;

Cathy: "Ahh Roy, I do like the sound of this piece...very relaxing. What's it called?"
    Roy: "Air on a G String, I believe"
    Cathy: "Oooeer behave Mr Cropper, have you been rooting through my drawers?"
  • Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,437
    Forum Member
    Also in last night's episode, Sally concluded one of her endless stand-offs with another character ( yawn ) with the line " Now I've got to go and bottom my tallboy" or something along those lines.
    Does an episode go by these days without at least one Carry-On style innuendo?
    It's truly tiresome.

I thought that was pathetic too. No-one of Sally's age would use an expression like that. It's the kind of thing that 'Cissie and Ada' used to say to each other in the '70s and yes, every episode seems to have a similar corny innuendo.
  • Cheekymonkey09Cheekymonkey09 Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forced humour.