Options

How to clean out a plastic bucket after having mould inside?

NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,199
Forum Member
Yesterday i spent the afternoon removing mould from a wall with hydrogen peroxide and wiping it off with a sponge and cloth using a bucket of water. How do i safely disinfect any mould residue or particles left behind in the bucket?

Comments

• Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Add a small amount of Jeyes Fluid to some water in the bucket.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nostlagic wrote: »
    Yesterday i spent the afternoon removing mould from a wall with hydrogen peroxide and wiping it off with a sponge and cloth using a bucket of water. How do i safely disinfect any mould residue or particles left behind in the bucket?

This bucket - is it of sentimental value, a family heirloom perhaps?
  • Options
    Forza FerrariForza Ferrari Posts: 7,433
    Forum Member
    If your using hydrogen peroxide to clean the wall why not just use some of it to clean out the bucket. Otherwise some bleach should clean the bucket.

BTW where did you get the hydrogen peroxide from?
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I once bought some from Boots, as recommended by a doctor to cure a mouth ulcer.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would it not be cheaper and easier and less work to buy a new bucket ?
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Bucket full of water, add a good squirt of bleach and leave overnight, then rinse & leave out to dry.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Add a small amount of Jeyes Fluid to some water in the bucket.

2nd'ed :cool:
  • Options
    soma_soma_ Posts: 6,024
    Forum Member
    If your using hydrogen peroxide to clean the wall why not just use some of it to clean out the bucket. Otherwise some bleach should clean the bucket.

asda sell it in solid form for unblocking sinks etc
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Would it not be cheaper and easier and less work to buy a new bucket ?

Not if it's a family heirloom.
    I suspect we'll never know.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    A litre of Jeyes Fluid is currently £5.49 in Lidl.

Occasionally their stocks hang around for too long and they do a BOGOF to get rid of them. I was lucky enough to get two bottles for £4.50 a few years ago, and still haven't finished the first. It's very powerful stuff and a little goes a long way.

Be careful using it around cats though. They're attracted to the smell but it's lethally poisonous to them.

Also, be careful where you use it because it can stain things. If you spray it on masonry paint, for example, you'll ruin it! It even slightly stains bare concrete, but usually that doesn't matter and you don't notice if you wash the whole area in it rather than a patch. Smooth things like a plastic bucket or glass aren't marked. I know someone who once used it on an old enamel bath that had lost its shine and it left it stained for a year afterwards.

Oh, and avoid getting it on your skin, even when diluted. No matter how you wash them afterwards, your skin smells of bitumen for hours! Although perhaps if you're a mad cat lady it'll attract even more of them for you...