Options

Could I be owed PPI?

SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is everyone else still getting these calls and messages? I had a text today saying that if I wanted to claim then text them POST or if not then text STOP. I know I have never claimed PPI but why then do I keep getting contacted? Because my name is on a database somewhere? The only thing is that it's just possible that my aunt, who I acted as an executor for, may have claimed PPI, so I wonder if it is worth giving it a shot? If everyone is still getting these random texts though I might not bother particularly if texting POST will be a whole lot more hassle.

Comments

• Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DON'T DO IT. These companies simply do what you can do for yourself - but they take a hefty cut of anything you get AND some of them want paid up front.

It's oh so easy to do it yourself - just go on to your bank web site and they will be able to download the proper forms to you.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    You're getting text messages because you have a phone; it's a blunderbuss approach - fire a vast amount in any direction and some are probably going to hit the target.

Ignore them, and if you think you may have paid PPI in the past claim it back yourself.
  • Options
    highland paddyhighland paddy Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    DON'T DO IT. These companies simply do what you can do for yourself - but they take a hefty cut of anything you get AND some of them want paid up front.

It's oh so easy to do it yourself - just go on to your bank web site and they will be able to download the proper forms to you.

I tried doing it myself and phoned special number for two bank/credit card companies I'd had a card with. They both told me I didn''t have PPI over the phone there and then, it seemed a bt rushed and slightly dubious although I am sure I was never dumb enough to take PPI in the first place.

Should I be bothering with forms and such just in case?
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Is everyone else still getting these calls and messages? I had a text today saying that if I wanted to claim then text them POST or if not then text STOP. I know I have never claimed PPI but why then do I keep getting contacted? Because my name is on a database somewhere? The only thing is that it's just possible that my aunt, who I acted as an executor for, may have claimed PPI, so I wonder if it is worth giving it a shot? If everyone is still getting these random texts though I might not bother particularly if texting POST will be a whole lot more hassle.

Hit "block" on your mobile.

Ideally block every Welsh dialling code too along with anything starting with 08, 0203 and 0161.
  • Options
    Choc_villesChoc_villes Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Hit "block" on your mobile.

Ideally block every Welsh dialling code too along with anything starting with 08, 0203 and 0161.

What did People from Manchester ever do to you ? ;-)
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    I tried doing it myself and phoned special number for two bank/credit card companies I'd had a card with. They both told me I didn''t have PPI over the phone there and then, it seemed a bt rushed and slightly dubious although I am sure I was never dumb enough to take PPI in the first place.

Should I be bothering with forms and such just in case?

Go on to their websites, they will almost certainly have a claims process. Fill in the appropriate forms and wait for a reply, if they say you never had it still you will need to prove you had it somehow.
  • Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    My brother asked me to help him with claiming PPI - over the years he's had car loans,
    gawd knows how many policies with Legal & General for illness cover/mortgage protection etc., Tbh his filing system and records are non-existant.

He's approached his bank months ago about the car loans, said they'd look into it but hasnt heard anything despite him chasing them up. The forms we've completed so far have been to no avail :(

Has anyone used a claim company they could recommend who don't charge a fortune ?
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tissy wrote: »
    Has anyone used a claim company they could recommend who don't charge a fortune ?

Why do you want to use a claim company? All they'll do is fill in the forms for you and then take their percentage. If you're not getting a response from a bank then follow their complaints procedure until you do.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We are all on a database somewhere - or at least our numbers are. Apparently I could get a replacement boiler (except I don't have a boiler or even a tank :confused:), I am due compensation for an injury I never had and my computer is infected and about to explode!
    Oh and I may be due PPI as well - despite not having had any sort of loan over the past 30 years.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Worst example was live on Radio 2,
    jeremy Vine was talking to Martin Lewis of moneysavingexpert.com (the best place to go for free PPI advice and the forms to download by the way).

There was a noise int he studio and everything went quiet.

Vine came back on air and announced that in the BBC radio studios there is a "hotline" phone
    This is from the Government to announce War is declared, the Queen has died etc.
    It is an Official secret, no one knows the number of this phone.

Jeremy Vine had just taken a PPI call to this "secret" Government hotline number.
  • Options
    j0annej0anne Posts: 2,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use Martin Lewis web site to send your own enquires it is all on there send them to any bank bs you have used or had a overdraft cc at etc

I helped get my ex 32,000 pounds back
    My mum n dad 8700 pounds
    Auntie 4800
    Myself 600 pounds booooo was hoping for much more
    Work colleague of ex 12,000 pounds

It's a little time consuming but not difficult. There are some magic answers pm me if you want to know more...but it is all on Martin Lewis money saving expert web site
  • Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    Thanks Joanne I'll have a look :)