Options

Anyone wonder is DTC was advised to step down ?

Comments

• Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The vocal minority on here... I'm sure he was quacking in his boots with the comments from all the keyboard warriors

You should see the show's Facebook and Twitter page something. The vocal 'minority' on here are nothing compared to some of the hate the show gets on there.
    :D
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's done a commendable job to bring EE back to life after the nightmare of Kirkwood and dullness of Newman. While last year was iffy in places, it was still way above what those two did for the most part. This year so far has been very good, save for a couple of poorer weeks.

I think he's leaving on his own terms. This isn't exactly 2003/2004 when EE under Louise Berridge was getting slated in the press.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lou_123 wrote: »
    You should see the show's Facebook and Twitter page something. The vocal 'minority' on here are nothing compared to some of the hate the show gets on there.

I see nothing but positivity for the most part of Facebook
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What hate? Most of the comments on FB/Twitter are positive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely. I can understand it taking a while to clear up Kirkwood's mess after he went into EastEnders with a sledgehammer but there's no excuse for the inconceivably horrific level of quality the show plummeted to in 2013.

November 2010 to August 2013 genuinely make 2006 look like Shakespeare. I think that says it all. Not they the last few months of 2013 were all that great but I think it's patently clear that the upturn in quality it experienced was largely down to DTC calling the shots even if his name wasn't "officially" on the credits.

The idea that Newman would deliver a year's worth of absolute nonsense and then suddenly deliver the goods almost the minute it was announced she was leaving just doesn't wash with me:

November 2010 - July 2011 were hardly awful. In fact, a lot of episodes during this time were absolutely fine. It was the exit of Ronnie and the summer of 2011 where things started to get awfully bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    attitude99 wrote: »
    What hate? Most of the comments on FB/Twitter are positive.

Where were you last summer during the Lucy Beale storyline?;) I don't think I saw a single positive comment. I enjoyed the storyline myself however. A lot of the stuff has been positive on their social media so far this year though.
  • Options
    All Of MeAll Of Me Posts: 2,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    Precisely. There's been no backlash except a few negative comments on here. EastEnders has received nothing but positive press attention since DTC took over; there's absolutely no way he was told to step down. The fact that he actually chose to stay on longer than he originally intended in order to oversee Peggy's exit speaks volumes.

The Beano and Dandy aren't newspapers. ;-)
  • Options
    Theo RoseTheo Rose Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The vocal minority on here... I'm sure he was quacking in his boots with the comments from all the keyboard warriors

The problem is a lot of the posters on here are using multiple accounts. Its obvious in certain threads like the Cora one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    All Of Me wrote: »
    The Beano and Dandy aren't newspapers. ;-)

Are those the only 2 you read
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where were you last summer during the Lucy Beale storyline?;) I don't think I saw a single positive comment. I enjoyed the storyline myself however. A lot of the stuff has been positive on their social media so far this year though.

I forgot about that :blush: and I can see where they were coming from at that point. But other than that EE never really gets much hate, it's only when each ep is Groundhog Day :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are those the only 2 you read

:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    ClassicGarfieldClassicGarfield Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're calling the backlash, down to complaints about Stacey's Brother Kyle, that is not DTCs fault.

I don't overly like the guy.

But the annoying thing is so many people are so bloody narrow minded these days, and can't see further than there face

Because Kyle is transgender? I don't consider that backlash as it's ignorant people. And uber few.

And for everyone saying what backlash? He's had more backlash than just on here. His stuff over Kathy was panned as farcical, as was the drawn out who killed Lucy aftermath panned. The pacing of the show has also been noted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank you!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also think it's a tad rude when some posters comment direct condescending and undermining comments at a thread I started with a mature and harmless question. I was only expressing thought and asking for thoughts. Mature criticism of my thoughts are welcome but it's a bit unfair the ones that a 14 year old would think was clever shade, when I didn't start my thread that way.
  • Options
    Doctor BenchDoctor Bench Posts: 4,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    November 2010 - July 2011 were hardly awful. In fact, a lot of episodes during this time were absolutely fine. It was the exit of Ronnie and the summer of 2011 where things started to get awfully bad.

I agree that the quality was notably worse after Ronnie's exit but it was still in a bad way in the first half of the year and much of 2010.

Phil getting over a cocaine addiction in the space of eight weeks, Phil/Ian/Glenda, Stacey/Ryan/Janine, Jane/Masood, Carol/Connor, Kar's cringeworthy fight with Roxy and character assassination, Heather's duff boiler, etc., were all terrible stories and I don't see the point in looking over things with rose-tinted spectacles when the overall quality was very poor for the most part.

Controversially I enjoyed the baby swap story in the first few weeks when it was actually portrayed as a fairly hard-hitting, character-led plot (save for the shaky foundations). I also remember some brilliant scenes with Tiffany and Max after the former discovered Carol and Connor in bed. That's about the only praise I can offer the first half of 2011.

I know the show rated extremely well in 2010/11 (particularly the former) but from a purely anecdotal viewpoint a lot of my mates and colleagues tuned right off around late 2010 and haven't ever returned, not even for last year's live, I think that says it all about Bryan Kirkwood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also think it's a tad rude when some posters comment direct condescending and undermining comments at a thread I started with a mature and harmless question. I was only expressing thought and asking for thoughts. Mature criticism of my thoughts are welcome but it's a bit unfair the ones that a 14 year old would think was clever shade, when I didn't start my thread that way.

I haven't seen any backlash aside from here :D. Maybe there has been but among the people I personally know most people have enjoyed EE the last while..

They also don't have a clue about who the producer is :D
  • Options
    bass55bass55 Posts: 18,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They also don't have a clue about who the producer is :D

This is an important point which is often forgotten. The vast, vast majority of viewers don't know or care who produces the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that the quality was notably worse after Ronnie's exit but it was still in a bad way in the first half of the year and much of 2010.

Phil getting over a cocaine addiction in the space of eight weeks, Phil/Ian/Glenda, Stacey/Ryan/Janine, Jane/Masood, Carol/Connor, Kar's cringeworthy fight with Roxy and character assassination, Heather's duff boiler, etc., were all terrible stories and I don't see the point in looking over things with rose-tinted spectacles when the overall quality was very poor for the most part.

Controversially I enjoyed the baby swap story in the first few weeks when it was actually portrayed as a fairly hard-hitting, character-led plot (save for the shaky foundations). I also remember some brilliant scenes with Tiffany and Max after the former discovered Carol and Connor in bed. That's about the only praise I can offer the first half of 2011.

I know the show rated extremely well in 2010/11 (particularly the former) but from a purely anecdotal viewpoint a lot of my mates and colleagues tuned right off around late 2010 and haven't ever returned, not even for last year's live, I think that says it all about Bryan Kirkwood.

I think there was a noticeable change in tone and a decline in quality from about September 2010 - ie when Kirkwood's work started appearing on screen. For example, when Kat came back a total bitch and went around slapping everyone in sight. There was also that horrible mud fight between Stacey and Janine in the Square, and the brawl in the R&R with Stacey, Kat and Janine was unnecessarily brutal. Kirkwood transformed all of the women in the show into screaming harpies.

The show subsequently went into freefall in Jan 2011 with the baby swap, and by the summer (that dreadful Moon boxing plot) I realised that not only was Kirkwood a crap producer but that he was actually destroying the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there was a noticeable change in tone and a decline in quality from about September 2010 - ie when Kirkwood's work started appearing on screen. For example, when Kat came back a total bitch and went around slapping everyone in sight. There was also that horrible mud fight between Stacey and Janine in the Square, and the brawl in the R&R with Stacey, Kat and Janine was unnecessarily brutal. Kirkwood transformed all of the women in the show into screaming harpies.

The show subsequently went into freefall in Jan 2011 with the baby swap, and by the summer (that dreadful Moon boxing plot) I realised that not only was Kirkwood a crap producer but that he was actually destroying the show.

Kirkwood also had the women fighting with eachother, Kat/Bianca, Kat/Shirley, Kat/Roxy, Kat/Pat, Janine/Stacey etc. It all felt very Hollyoaks, camp and OTT.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm with you on all points, particularly the last. I may have had a harder time sitting through Newman's era of Dexter and cold cuts but that's not to say that Kirkwood didn't set in motion a very detrimental pattern of storytelling that put a lot of people off Eastenders for good.

The summer of 2011 was absolutely diabolical beyond belief. Remember that bizarre episode set entirely in the Vic with the costumes and Jean the village idiot jumping up and down serving a crock of shit?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    attitude99 wrote: »
    Kirkwood also had the women fighting with eachother, Kat/Bianca, Kat/Shirley, Kat/Roxy, Kat/Pat, Janine/Stacey etc. It all felt very Hollyoaks, camp and OTT.

Not to mention his obsession for hiring young lads with zero acting skills or personality based solely on their supposed good looks or the glossy sets.

Whatever about excellent credentials but I can't for the life of me think what questions they could have asked him and what answers he could have given to give them the impression that he was in any way suitable for a show like Eastenders. It should've been patently clear to all that he was in the wrong job to begin with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not to mention his obsession for hiring young lads with zero acting skills or personality based solely on their supposed good looks or the glossy sets.

Whatever about excellent credentials but I can't for the life of me think what questions they could have asked him and what answers he could have given to give them the impression that he was in any way suitable for a show like Eastenders. It should've been patently clear to all that he was in the wrong job to begin with.

I remember reading he was joining EastEnders as producer and I was quite pleased because he was very good on Hollyoaks (of course they're two very different soaps) and I was hoping he'd be the same on EE. But ultimately he destroyed it in favour of turning it into Hollyoaks ll and the hiring of young males with barely any acting experience (Joey, Tyler, Anthony etc.) dragged the show down. Also, there was too much emphasis on younger characters, which again didn't help. The trailer for the Moon Brothers was a low point, how on earth did that even get to transmission? It was cringey beyond belief.

That said, Kirkwood did have some good storylines, but the advantages of his reign of terror as EP as far outweighed by disadvantages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, he effectively stuffed the cast with pretty boys and chavvy, gobby women. Visually the show was also noticeably different, the sets introduced under Kirkwood (the red/green exterior of the Vic, the leopard print and green bar inside the Vic, Tanya's pink living room, Max's vomit-coloured wallpaper) were also very tacky and very Hollyoaks.

It felt like a totally different show, although I suspect that was his intention.
  • Options
    MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    This red water will completely bomb so would imagine one set of hassle is enough
    Alright mystic meg :p

Oh there's no doubt this will be a stinker. For a start, where in the schedule are they going to air this? I wouldn't be surprised if it just ends up behind the red button or on iplayer.

There is zero interest and appetite in this storyline to justify a spin off show.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MR_Pitkin wrote: »
    Oh there's no doubt this will be a stinker. For a start, where in the schedule are they going to air this? I wouldn't be surprised if it just ends up behind the red button or on iplayer.

There is zero interest and appetite in this storyline to justify a spin off show.

On line - BBC 3.