Options

What benefits HAS the EU given us?

Comments

• Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being a part of the european union gives us.

Access to 11 trillion pound market that provides trade free without the different rules and red taped needed for 27 different countries across Europe.

This alone accounts for 2.75 million jobs in the uk along not counting the indirect business benefits increase trade with the rest of europe has given us at around 3.5 million jobs.

The European union acts a single point of power in the global market able to defined agreements with the major players USA / China

On a personal level

The single market has lead to a reduction in costs so things are basically cheaper to buy because costs of movement, shipping and red tape are reduced.

Agreements on freedom of movement the ability to use are driving license across Euro.

Agreements on telecommunication means we can now roam with mobiles and currently they are looking at the model of pricing across europe.

Low cost air travel

Agreements on tax across Europe we can now claim the tax back.

Health care agreements so EU members can access health accross europe.

One issue with Europe is people dont see the direct benefits but we all benefit from it indirectly. It has become a part of life that we accept. We may think the price of food has gone up and is increasing. But in real terms based on inflation food has actually gotten cheaper. Part of this is the red tape, tax and costs of shipping good around Europe has decreased.

This has a knock on effect that more demand for goods so it generates more business, more people in the warehouse, driving the trucks around europe, etc. This is not just on the stuff we import but very important on the stuff we export.

We now play on a level playing field with the rest of Europe as a market. If we did pull out of Europe that would not be the case. Even importing beef and lamb from Ireland would fall outside these trade agreements which is likely to increase in cost.
  • Options
    redtuxredtux Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch this, and think how funny your original post was
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso

Not just me who thought of that then
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    1. Lots of pretty windmills to look at in the country side.

2. My new hard disk bluray recorder always insists on powering down after 2 hours should I dare leave it on stand by for added convenience.

3. The electrician that came to my house recently to do some re-wiring work had to jump through all sorts of extra hoops in order to comply with new regulations we never used to need.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluescope wrote: »
    Being a part of the european union gives us.

Access to 11 trillion pound market that provides trade free without the different rules and red taped needed for 27 different countries across Europe.

This alone accounts for 2.75 million jobs in the uk along not counting the indirect business benefits increase trade with the rest of europe has given us at around 3.5 million jobs.

The European union acts a single point of power in the global market able to defined agreements with the major players USA / China

On a personal level

The single market has lead to a reduction in costs so things are basically cheaper to buy because costs of movement, shipping and red tape are reduced.

Agreements on freedom of movement the ability to use are driving license across Euro.

Agreements on telecommunication means we can now roam with mobiles and currently they are looking at the model of pricing across europe.

Low cost air travel

Agreements on tax across Europe we can now claim the tax back.

Health care agreements so EU members can access health accross europe.

One issue with Europe is people dont see the direct benefits but we all benefit from it indirectly. It has become a part of life that we accept. We may think the price of food has gone up and is increasing. But in real terms based on inflation food has actually gotten cheaper. Part of this is the red tape, tax and costs of shipping good around Europe has decreased.

This has a knock on effect that more demand for goods so it generates more business, more people in the warehouse, driving the trucks around europe, etc. This is not just on the stuff we import but very important on the stuff we export.

We now play on a level playing field with the rest of Europe as a market. If we did pull out of Europe that would not be the case. Even importing beef and lamb from Ireland would fall outside these trade agreements which is likely to increase in cost.

So now tell us how all these things have made us an economic and social success. Thell us how we are so much better off than we were in 1973, how much less debt we're in and how society is more cohesive.
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »
    1. Lots of pretty windmills to look at in the country side.

2. My new hard disk bluray recorder always insists on powering down after 2 hours should I dare leave it on stand by for added convenience.

3. The electrician that came to my house recently to do some re-wiring work had to jump through all sorts of extra hoops in order to comply with new regulations we never used to need.

Must be so disappointing for you that your house won't burn down any time soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »
    After an underwhelming response to the benefits of the EU what benefits has it given us?

Ability to move around without a passport, cheaper mobile charges, whooopeey.

You could look here

http://www.interreg4c.eu/

http://www.europeanfundingne.co.uk/european-social-fund-esf.html
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    Must be so disappointing for you that your house won't burn down any time soon.

Strangely enough my house didnt burn down before we joined the EU either - must be luck eh? :D:D:D
  • Options
    FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why has the EU morphed into a massive political entity? Why not form a free trade alliance like all the other regions in the world have done (NAFTA, AFTA, SICA, etc)? I am not criticizing one way or the other, I'm just curious with all the different cultures, languages, and types of governments in Europe why are they trying to create some homogeneous bloc of countries.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »
    So now tell us how all these things have made us an economic and social success. Thell us how we are so much better off than we were in 1973, how much less debt we're in and how society is more cohesive.

He/She just did. Repeatedly asking for more evidence doesn't win the argument as it is obvious that a mountain of evidence and a million examples will not have the slightest influence on your opinion.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ozark1 wrote: »
    Iceland???:o

Must have missed that conflict.

You missed The Cod War?! It was an epic, I'm surprised they haven't made more movies about it.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    He/She just did. Repeatedly asking for more evidence doesn't win the argument as it is obvious that a mountain of evidence and a million examples will not have the slightest influence on your opinion.

A reduction in red tape is a fact? The op certainly doesn't work in big business that's for sure.
  • Options
    crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    A reduction in red tape is a fact? The op certainly doesn't work in big business that's for sure.

So we have to give up our laws, change our border policy and so on just for business and red tape! Life is not all about money!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »
    So we have to give up our laws, change our border policy and so on just for business and red tape! Life is not all about money!

That is totally correct, if you deliberately ignore all the other points made by the poster.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Kinnocks
  • Options
    FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    You missed The Cod War?! It was an epic, I'm surprised they haven't made more movies about it.

Wow, 1,000,000 internet points for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Except that we aren't an economic or financial success, we are deeper in debt than we've ever been with a manufacturing base that has reduced dramatically. Yay I know our manufacturing was in decline but the EU has done little to improve it. Our social structure has been shot to ribbons and though that's not all down to the EU, they've had a significant role.
  • Options
    JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    An unlimited supply of cheap labour.

Indeed, who take jobs away from UK born people along with needing housing, schools and to use the NHS.
  • Options
    AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's just getting a bit of the cash back we already gave them

You take £10 off me, and then give me £2 back. EU logic, You have given me £2 . I should be grateful

Reality is, you owe me £8
  • Options
    CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    Strangely enough my house didnt burn down before we joined the EU either - must be luck eh? :D:D:D

You don't live in the EU or the UK.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed, who take jobs away from UK born people along with needing housing, schools and to use the NHS.

I do wish peoiple would stop recycling this nonsense.

10 - 15 years ago colleges were starting to stop offering building trade courses because of a lack of demand. When people started reading of plumbers coming over from Poland and earning £50k+ a year that soon changed, didn't it?

Very much like in the 1950s & '60s, when people from the West Indies and the Indian sub-continent came here, Eastern European migrants aren't taking jobs away from UK born people, they are taking the jobs UK born people won't do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »
    Except that we aren't an economic or financial success, we are deeper in debt than we've ever been with a manufacturing base that has reduced dramatically. Yay I know our manufacturing was in decline but the EU has done little to improve it. Our social structure has been shot to ribbons and though that's not all down to the EU, they've had a significant role.

You sound like an obsessive kipper.

We were in industrial decline before we joined the EU. The EU didn't fix us, so its their fault.

Our state debt gets out of hand due to over reliance on the banking industry, which then collapses, but the EU didn't stop us doing that to ourselves, so its their fault.

Powell makes his "rivers of blood" speech before we join the EU, but the fact that today we aren't a rainbow nation hugging each other in the streets is the fault of the EU.

I'm guessing every time you're late for a meeting you blame the EU as well. You couldn't possibly take responsibility for your own actions could you?
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no world war 3? That was the original idea ........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You sound like an obsessive kipper.

I'm not even a member and unlikely to be.
    We were in industrial decline before we joined the EU.

I said that.
    The EU didn't fix us, so its their fault.

You said that, I said our manufacturing base hadn't improved as a result of being in the EU.
    Our state debt gets out of hand due to over reliance on the banking industry, which then collapses, but the EU didn't stop us doing that to ourselves, so its their fault.
    Nope, the banking industry has been allowed to run riot because both our crap politicians and those of the rest of the western world have allowed it to happen.
    Powell makes his "rivers of blood" speech before we join the EU, but the fact that today we aren't a rainbow nation hugging each other in the streets is the fault of the EU.
    FCOL, how did you conjure that up?
    I'm guessing every time you're late for a meeting you blame the EU as well. You couldn't possibly take responsibility for your own actions could you?
    Another gem from your fertilized imagination?
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Better equality laws
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't this thread basically the same as this thread? I look forward to your next rewording of the same question.