What benefits HAS the EU given us?

crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
Forum Member
✭✭✭
After an underwhelming response to the benefits of the EU what benefits has it given us?

Ability to move around without a passport, cheaper mobile charges, whooopeey.

Comments

• glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish it would bring in legislation to ban broken records.
  • crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish it would bring in legislation to ban broken records.

Would you like to make a contribution? And your certainly living up to your username! !
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »
    Would you like to make a contribution? And your certainly living up to your username! !

1) Don't have time...off to...:o Europe today :o

2) you are confusing me with my evil alter ego who occasionally breaks through the space time continuum...glasshalfempty :p
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Further proof in addition to World War II that Europe was never meant to be ruled by a single central governmental committee.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    Well access to such a large market has made us attractive for companies outside the EU to set-up here in the UK. There are aspects of the British economy which make us more attractive than other European countries (not being in the EU being one) - but if were not in the EU then these companies would set-up in a European country despite any perceived disadvantages (I would suspect Germany which has better union relationships than France and is close to a financial centre).

Indeed Londons position as a financial center is also improved by being in a single market as again people can operate in London, but have access to a large market.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if there was no EU everyone would freely trade. Buying goods in may be more expensive but the economy adjusts, I.e makes its own stuff! Wages reflect the economical climate and adjust accordingly.
    I don't think your point of being part of a group is that beneficial, we survived before!
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    No wars between member states
    Easier to employ people with advanced skills
    Easier to go on holiday without faffing around with currencies
    Better environmental legislation across the whole of Europe
    Easier for British people to live abroad
    Easier exports allowing international companies to manufacture in the UK and export to Europe
    Deregulation of flights
    Better passport control with separate lanes for EU citizens (same goes for customs)
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    An unlimited supply of cheap labour.
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    But if there was no EU everyone would freely trade. Buying goods in may be more expensive but the economy adjusts, I.e makes its own stuff! Wages reflect the economical climate and adjust accordingly.
    I don't think your point of being part of a group is that beneficial, we survived before!

No there would not be free trade since there would be tariffs imposed on goods imported into various countries.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easier exports allowing international companies to manufacture in the UK and export to Europe
    Deregulation of flights
    Better passport control with separate lanes for EU citizens (same goes for customs)

We don't have the same currency now ! we employ all sorts of people from around the world already! People easily move around the world to live I.e Australia.
    Your points are weak at best.
    There are no wars between any two advanced economies around the world, mainly failed states.
    We export from all over the world, we don't have a problem!
    Forum Member
    We don't have the same currency now ! we employ all sorts of people from around the world already! People easily move around the world to live I.e Australia.
    There are no wars between any two advanced economies around the world, mainly failed states.
    We export from all over the world, we don't have a problem!

Watch this, and think how funny your original post was
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We haven't had any wars with virtually the whole world.
    This has always been easy as skills that the country needs have always been welcome.
    We still have to change pounds to euro, just like we do the dollar etc. Unless you want us to join the euro! :o
    Nothing that could have been implemented in the UK if it was wanted by our people.
    Only affects the very small number that wish to do so, and large numbers emigrate outside the EU anyway without much difficulty.
    Easier exports allowing international companies to manufacture in the UK and export to Europe.
    We export more to non-EU countries.
    Deregulation of flights
    20 years after the USA did it.
    We could easily have separate lanes for British citizens only when we leave EU.

Even if you think these are genuine reasons, nothing the EU does justifies over £55m per day in fees. We should leave with immediate effect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One way to look at it is, if we weren't in the EU, would we join today? Of course not!
    Forum Member
    simsini wrote: »
    We haven't had any wars with virtually the whole world.

Argentina
    Iraq
    Afghanistan
    Iceland
    Libya
    ISIS
    we managed to Stop Cameron killing people in Syria
    Plus no EU country has been at war with another one.

As for the point about currency exchange, we only have to change into Euros, not drachma, lira, pesetas, francs, escudos, deutschmark, guilder etc
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for the point about currency exchange, we only have to change into Euros, not drachma, lira, pesetas, francs, escudos, deutschmark, guilder etc

As the vast majority of people are only visiting one country when going to Europe what difference does it make if you are getting Euro/Lira/Francs etc?
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What benefits HAS the EU given us?

Everything - if it wasn't for the EU we would have no trade with anyone, we would have no civil rights, no consumer protection, no environmental standards, no NHS, we would be permanently at war and plagues of locusts would roam the land..

Apparently......;-)
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As the vast majority of people are only visiting one country when going to Europe what difference does it make if you are getting Euro/Lira/Francs etc?

Over the years it makes a big difference.

Last year we went to Greece for our holiday, next month i'm going to Ireland, in May we are going to France and Italy.

Number of currencies required to visit those four countries? One.

Abnd when we come back from our holiday to France and Itely and euros left over can be kept for out next trip to a Eurozone country.

I am not suggesting we adopt the euro but do you really not see that as a benefit, even on the small scale of an individual? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Over the years it makes a big difference.

Last year we went to Greece for our holiday, next month i'm going to Ireland, in May we are going to France and Italy.

Number of currencies required to visit those four countries? One.

Abnd when we come back from our holiday to France and Itely and euros left over can be kept for out next trip to a Eurozone country.

I am not suggesting we adopt the euro but do you really not see that as a benefit, even on the small scale of an individual? :confused:

Is it worth a £55m per day membership fee?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Argentina
    Iraq
    Afghanistan
    Iceland
    Libya
    ISIS

Iceland???:o

Must have missed that conflict.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    Everything - if it wasn't for the EU we would have no trade with anyone, we would have no civil rights, no consumer protection, no environmental standards, no NHS, we would be permanently at war and plagues of locusts would roam the land..

Apparently......;-)

Fortunately, though, when we leave the EU we will become a land of milk and honey where we can join the EEA for free, stop all immigration from the EU, and will have no obligation to implement new laws, that we have no say in how they are formed, passed by the EU.

Apparently......;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ozark1 wrote: »
    Iceland???:o

Must have missed that conflict.

Cod Wars

it wasn't a "war" in the conventional meaning of the word.
  • tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many separate threads do we need on the same topic exactly ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Argentina
    Iraq
    Afghanistan
    Iceland
    Libya
    ISIS

It was cheaper to go on holiday before the euro, as you could potentially choose to go to wherever had the weakest currency. Greece's tourism industry would be booking big time right now if they had the drachma not the euro.

As for your list of countries, that is entirely irrelevant. It shows how tenuous it is when you have even included Iceland! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cod Wars

it wasn't a "war" in the conventional meaning of the word.

Are we at war with Spain then over Gibraltar's territorial waters?
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What is the point of asking for a list if you are unable or unwilling to discuss the topic? You could take just one sub-section of one item on smudges dad's list (Air Pollution) and have a 30 page thread on the topic.