Options

‘CONAN’ – Monday to Thursday at 11pm from 4th August on TruTV

NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
Forum Member
✭✭
It’s been announced that US talk show ‘Conan’ will air in the UK on new channel TruTV, available on all platforms, from Monday 4th August.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a582902/conan-obriens-talk-show-coming-to-the-uk-on-trutv.html#~oJwdb9QrROVRhx

I’ve been a fan of Conan O’Brien since the mid 90’s, following him on Late Night, The Tonight Show, and now Conan, so I’m really pleased he is returning to UK screens.

Comments

• Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is TruTV available on standard Freeview?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Is TruTV available on standard Freeview?

According to their press release, it will be available on Freeview and Freesat from launch. They also expect to sign carriage deals with Sky and Virgin before launch too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    I like Conan, but I can't see it lasting long. Hopefully there'll be some kind of catch up facility...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Conan, but I can't see it lasting long. Hopefully there'll be some kind of catch up facility...

Having seen how long The Daily Show lasted on More4 or how long the Late Show with David Letterman lasted on any number of the channels it's aired on over the years, I'd agree.

HOWEVER, this deal is a bit like The Daily Show on Comedy Central UK or The Tonight Show on CNBC, the programme and the channel owner are strongly connected, so as long as the ratings are half decent by the channels standards it could become a permanent fixture. Here's hoping.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it clear what the delay will be?.

I'm assuming that the UK showing will be the previous night's US showing.

Iain
  • Options
    tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent news, one for the series link.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Having seen how long The Daily Show lasted on More4 or how long the Late Show with David Letterman lasted on any number of the channels it's aired on over the years, I'd agree.

Has the Late Show with David Letterman ever been shown on UK tv? In fact have any US late night chat shows ever been shown over here on UK tv?

I've always wanted to watch the Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kimmel late night chat shows as he always gets great guests on and they look so much fun to watch but i end up just watching clips on You Tube instead. Craig Ferguson and Conan not so much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has the Late Show with David Letterman ever been shown on UK tv? In fact have any US late night chat shows ever been shown over here on UK tv?

I've always wanted to watch the Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kimmel late night chat shows as he always gets great guests on and they look so much fun to watch but i end up just watching clips on You Tube instead. Craig Ferguson and Conan not so much.

Fallon airs in the UK on MSNBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fallon airs in the UK on MSNBC.

Wow, i didn't know that. That's on Sky, right? What time is it on?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, i didn't know that. That's on Sky, right? What time is it on?

Sorry I meant CNBC, yeah it's on Sky (and freesat) at 11 tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it clear what the delay will be?.

I'm assuming that the UK showing will be the previous night's US showing.

Iain

No announcement on what the delay from US broadcast will be. Although they have confirmed that it will air Monday to Thursday at 11pm, which is the exact same as the US, so I would GUESS it’ll be on a weeks delay rather than a 24 hour delay. That was the case when it aired on 3e in Ireland too. But I stress, it’s only a guess.

Late Show with David Letterman has been on a number of UK channels over the years. If I remember correctly its been on Sky One, Paramount Comedy, ITV2, ITV4, and Diva TV. And for one week only (when the show travelled to London), BBC2.

As has already been said, The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon airs on CNBC in the UK. It can be seen weeknights at 11pm, one a 1 day delay. Although these broadcasts are 30 minute edits for the original 41 minute US broadcast. However 4 of the 5 shows are aired in full on Saturday and Sunday at 8pm and 8:45pm. Unless you really can’t wait I’d recommend the weekend broadcasts as the bits they edit out are usually the comedy bits which I think are the best bits of the show.
    Jimmy Kimmel Live has never aired in the UK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TruTV have confirmed the delay will be 24hours on Twitter:

"We'll be 24 hours later, although the US airs Monday-Thursday, so the Thursday episodes will show in the UK on Mondays."

Iain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Late Show with David Letterman has been on a number of UK channels over the years. If I remember correctly its been on Sky One, Paramount Comedy, ITV2, ITV4, and Diva TV. And for one week only (when the show travelled to London), BBC2.

I must have not looked hard enough in the tv listings for this. I vaguely, vaguely recollect that i think i may have seen it on ITV4 at some point but can't remember when exactly.

Do you know what years the show screened for the various channels above?
    As has already been said, The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon airs on CNBC in the UK. It can be seen weeknights at 11pm, one a 1 day delay. Although these broadcasts are 30 minute edits for the original 41 minute US broadcast. However 4 of the 5 shows are aired in full on Saturday and Sunday at 8pm and 8:45pm.

I've just checked my Sky package and i have got CNBC and you're right Jimmy Fallon is on there. I can't believe i didn't know about this till now, crazy! :D Yeah, the weekend slots are longer so probably worth watching than the regular 11pm slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TruTV have confirmed the delay will be 24hours on Twitter:

"We'll be 24 hours later, although the US airs Monday-Thursday, so the Thursday episodes will show in the UK on Mondays."

Iain.

Interesting, and good news. Thanks for letting us know.
    I must have not looked hard enough in the tv listings for this. I vaguely, vaguely recollect that i think i may have seen it on ITV4 at some point but can't remember when exactly.

Do you know what years the show screened for the various channels above?

I've just checked my Sky package and i have got CNBC and you're right Jimmy Fallon is on there. I can't believe i didn't know about this till now, crazy! :D Yeah, the weekend slots are longer so probably worth watching than the regular 11pm slot.

I’m not sure of the years, but Letterman aired on these channels in this order spanning from 1993 to about 2009 approximately, on and off - Sky One (and BBC2 for one week), Paramount Comedy, ITV2, ITV4, and Diva TV. It hasn’t been seen on UK screens for about 5 years now, and given that its ending next year its highly unlikely we’ll see it again.

I always watch (record) The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon at the weekends on CNBC as you get the full episode. Unfortunately there’s always one of the five shows a week that only ever gets a weekday broadcast, but seeing how good CNBC has been at airing The Tonight Show/Late Night programmes (consistently since 1997) I won’t complain. :)
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to see the bits from the 5th unaired episode the they are always uploaded to Fallons YouTube channel.
  • Options
    billykubrickbillykubrick Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can some one kindly tell me what sky channel number this channel is on?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can some one kindly tell me what sky channel number this channel is on?

No channels numbers yet for TruTV, it launches on 4th August.
  • Options
    billykubrickbillykubrick Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. Will look out for it. Have seen some of it via the internet. Would rather they broadcast Letterman though, even in his last year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In preparation for CONAN premiering in the UK on 4th August, there’s a 3 page interview with Conan O’Brien in this weeks edition of the Shortlist magazine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conan O'Brien is guest on Good Morning Britain this Thursday morning to promote CONAN premiering in the UK.
    I suspect it'll be a pre-taped interview, probably with Ross King in LA, but Conan isn't taping any shows in the US the week so you never know...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conan O'Brien is guest on Good Morning Britain this Thursday morning to promote CONAN premiering in the UK.
    I suspect it'll be a pre-taped interview, probably with Ross King in LA, but Conan isn't taping any shows in the US the week so you never know...

He was on LBC this morning, live in the studio, so he's definitely on this side of the Atlantic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWnHvOLd_aY
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was on LBC this morning, live in the studio, so he's definitely on this side of the Atlantic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWnHvOLd_aY

Thanks, I’ll give that a listen online later.
    Maybe he will be in the Good Morning Britain studio tomorrow then. Its a shame The One Show is on a break as he’d probably appear on that too.

Post any other sightings in this thread!
  • Options
    Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member

Thanks. I've just watched it on +1 and it was live in the studio! Is there any listings yet for Tru TV?
  • Options
    ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The channel is up on the Sky epg but at the moment you can't put the show in the planner yet but hopefully that will be sorted out soon and after 3 years it will be nice to watch these legally now. I'm very pleased! What with this and the news that Conan stars in Sharktopus vs Pteracuda on Syfy in the US on Saturday in a performance that made Gary Oldman cry it just remains for Syfy UK to pull their finger out!
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ToneXIR wrote: »
    The channel is up on the Sky epg but at the moment you can't put the show in the planner yet but hopefully that will be sorted out soon and after 3 years it will be nice to watch these legally now. I'm very pleased! What with this and the news that Conan stars in Sharktopus vs Pteracuda on Syfy in the US on Saturday in a performance that made Gary Oldman cry it just remains for Syfy UK to pull their finger out!

Tuesdays episode will allow you to record, set a manual recording for episode 1 as unfortunately we cannot seem to find a way to get in touch with the UK side of Turner