Going to a gig on your own

00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,207
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Long story short. My mate, who i've been to see Oasis with 15 times, cant afford to go and see them on their new tour, of which the tickets go on sale tomorrow. Do i not bother going or should i go on my own?
I go to the cinema on my own quite a bit but going to a gig seems a bit different.

Comments

• GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you afford to lend him the money for a ticket or is there anyone else you could go with?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    00tommo wrote: »
    Long story short. My mate, who i've been to see Oasis with 15 times, cant afford to go and see them on their new tour, of which the tickets go on sale tomorrow. Do i not bother going or should i go on my own?
    I go to the cinema on my own quite a bit but going to a gig seems a bit different.

Just go! You'll be fine.
  • TinpotTinpot Posts: 2,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to a gig alone can be a great experience.

I love going with friends too, but some of the best gigs I've been to have been ones where I've gone alone.
  • jimmy22jimmy22 Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

I been to a few gigs on my own no trouble at all it gets you out:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah could you not lend your friend the money for a ticket or are the cost of them out of this world?

Going on your own will be fine I'm sure. You'll be surrounded by other people!
  • eddieheddieh Posts: 1,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing is that I would feel lonely myself if I went to a gig on my own. I might have to try it one day..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely go! Ive been to quite a few on my own when friends havent been into the same band etc. and even when i have been with friends quite a few times we've ended geting split up in the crowd anyway! Everyone is there for the same reason so chances are you might even make some new friends.

Also i know i'll probably get flamed for suggesting this but can you afford to buy more than the one ticket? Because im sure tickets for this tour would go for a bomb on eBay and if you bought some extra it might pay for you and your mate to go pretty much free. The touts will be doing it anyway so why shouldn't a genuine Oasis fan benefit instead...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Boyzone on my own, I had a great time :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Just go!

I've been to a few on my own (mainly a few bands my will flatly NOT go and see with me! Even if I do the usual and go and see one of her bands as compensation ..... good system really! works *most* of the time).

Not as if you're going to be standing chatting to anyone you're with anyway is it?
    Forum Member
    Definitely go! Ive been to quite a few on my own when friends havent been into the same band etc. and even when i have been with friends quite a few times we've ended geting split up in the crowd anyway! Everyone is there for the same reason so chances are you might even make some new friends.

Also i know i'll probably get flamed for suggesting this but can you afford to buy more than the one ticket? Because im sure tickets for this tour would go for a bomb on eBay and if you bought some extra it might pay for you and your mate to go pretty much free. The touts will be doing it anyway so why shouldn't a genuine Oasis fan benefit instead...

As you seem to be someone who likes going to gigs, I can't believe you're encouraging people to turn into an ebay parasite. :(

Some poor fan (such as you maybe?) has to pay over the odds to go see a band they like so some parasite can line their pockets on ebay from it? Bad form mate, really bad. :(

Touts = scum.

Always have, always will.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sancheeez wrote: »
    As you seem to be someone who likes going to gigs, I can't believe you're encouraging people to turn into an ebay parasite. :(

Some poor fan (such as you maybe?) has to pay over the odds to go see a band they like so some parasite can line their pockets on ebay from it? Bad form mate, really bad. :(

Touts = scum.

Ive had to pay over the odds myself many many a time, im not suggesting the guy make a habit of it, but if you cant beat them why not join them on this one occasion? If it its purely to enable his mate to goto the gig then its hardly to line his pockets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it would depend on the venue - if I can turn up, get a drink, watch the support band, then choose to move down the front or stay & get another drink and watch the main band from a decent distance at the back then yeah, gigs can be great on your own and I've seen loads.

IF...it's a stadium gig where you have to turn up 4 hours beforehand just to get in and then stand through another 4 hours until the main band comes on...then no. That's too much for me on my own, I never do that unless I'm with someone!
    Forum Member
    Ive had to pay over the odds myself many many a time, im not suggesting the guy make a habit of it, but if you cant beat them why not join them on this one occasion? If it its purely to enable his mate to goto the gig then its hardly to line his pockets.

The ONLY time I don't mind seeing tickets on ebay is when they are put, buy it now, at face value + booking fees so the buyer pays exactly what it would have cost them to get a ticket in the first place. I've done that myself a couple of times when myself or a friend were unable to make a gig. Normally, for something that will sell out quickly, you buy months in advance so it happens. I have no problem with that.

But charging someone over the odds is just poor form, regardless of the reasons.

If it's a gig you're going to then you're a fan. Put yourself in other that other fans shoes and think how happy you'd be if you thought you could nip online, and IF you were lucky, you might bag a last minute cancellation at cost. But no, only overpriced resales from people looking to make a fast buck from your enjoyment of music.

"If you can't beat them ..... blah" doesn't hold water.

If no-one joined them, and no-one bought from them, they'd all go away .... and we would get more tickets .... at the right prices.

I don't care about the legal rights or wrongs, I just think is an unpleasant way to behave on a human level. :( ("low", and, "bottom feeder" are two phrases that spring to mind)

/rant over.

Apologies for that. I've been going to gigs for a lot of years now. Since long before the ebay days. I hate touts. :mad:
    For me it would depend on the venue - if I can turn up, get a drink, watch the support band, then choose to move down the front or stay & get another drink and watch the main band from a decent distance at the back then yeah, gigs can be great on your own and I've seen loads.

IF...it's a stadium gig where you have to turn up 4 hours beforehand just to get in and then stand through another 4 hours until the main band comes on...then no. That's too much for me on my own, I never do that unless I'm with someone!

Could not (and did not) put it better myself.

Well called. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ONLY time I don't mind seeing tickets on ebay is when they are put, buy it now, at face value + booking fees so the buyer pays exactly what it would have cost them to get a ticket in the first place. I've done that myself a couple of times when myself or a friend were unable to make a gig. Normally, for something that will sell out quickly, you buy months in advance so it happens. I have no problem with that.

But charging someone over the odds is just poor form, regardless of the reasons.

If it's a gig you're going to then you're a fan. Put yourself in other that other fans shoes and think how happy you'd be if you thought you could nip online, and IF you were lucky, you might bag a last minute cancellation at cost. But no, only overpriced resales from people looking to make a fast buck from your enjoyment of music.

"If you can't beat them ..... blah" doesn't hold water.

If no-one joined them, and no-one bought from them, they'd all go away .... and we would get more tickets .... at the right prices.

I don't care about the legal rights or wrongs, I just think is an unpleasant way to behave on a human level. :( ("low", and, "bottom feeder" are two phrases that spring to mind)

/rant over.

Apologies for that. I've been going to gigs for a lot of years now. Since long before the ebay days. I hate touts. :mad:

Agreed. I've had to battle with internet and phone queues at 9am on the day of a ticket going on sale only to see all the tickets I couldn't get on ebay straight away. Infuriating and not something a true fan of any band or a loyal gig goer should ever do.

You're never on your own at a gig - so many other people around you :D Ive gone to gigs alone and although have felt a bit self concious during the first 10 minutes or so, once I've realised that nobody is paying attention to me, I've enjoyed it. Go for it!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hiya, go!, it will be great by yourself...

whenever i go to gigs with friends i find that alot of people there are alone... also a friend of mine goes to many gigs alone and its fine...just enjoy the music :)

you can meet new people easier too!
    Forum Member
    Doesn't really matter if I think about it.

Even if there are other people with me, I tend to just 'go for a wander' or you're at the bar, or going up the front for a bit .... etc etc

So half the time you're not with them (or vice-versa) and when you are with them you'd have to scream to try and be heard over the music anyway. If you want to chat all night .... you don't go to a live gig!

Just go for it.

I would. :)
  • Sun_BeamSun_Beam Posts: 11,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm seeing a comedian on my own in October and I'm not bothered as no one I know is into comedy like I am, so I will happily go alone. I was dithering as to whether I'd go, so if I didn't book there and then, I'd have missed out, so am looking forward to it. Cant always have someone to go everywhere with you, and luckily for me, I am pretty independant whereas a lot of people I know aren't, and wont go anywhere alone and think I'm strange........ but I really don't care as I'm not going to miss out on something because I don't have someone to go with me - how sad would that be? :rolleyes:
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Go alone and enjoy, you'll be with other like-minded fans anyway!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only ever been to one gig on my own and although I prefer being with mates i still enjoyed it,and I did know people there so wasn't too bad,just chatted to them until theband came on then went to my seat.

So go for it,the only other suggestion I could make is buy your mate the ticket if you can and get them to pay you back even in installments

AJxx
  • Willie WontieWillie Wontie Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Touts = scum.

I think I'd rather line a tout's pockets than pay all the extra add-ons to Ticketmaster. Scorpions are touring next month - ticket price is listed at £35, but can you get it for that? Can you bollox.

Ticket price + £5 booking fee + £3 collection fee (note collection fee; they're charging you £3 for the privilege of going to the Box Office on the night and picking the ticket up yourself!!). They add £8 on to the price printed on the ticket. And Manchester Apollo Box Office won't sell direct to the public - you have to go through Ticketmaster (or one of their offshoots). If a tout, on the night, wanted £40 for a £35 ticket, I'd much rather he got the profit than Ticketbastard.
    Forum Member
    I think I'd rather line a tout's pockets than pay all the extra add-ons to Ticketmaster. Scorpions are touring next month - ticket price is listed at £35, but can you get it for that? Can you bollox.

Ticket price + £5 booking fee + £3 collection fee (note collection fee; they're charging you £3 for the privilege of going to the Box Office on the night and picking the ticket up yourself!!). They add £8 on to the price printed on the ticket. And Manchester Apollo Box Office won't sell direct to the public - you have to go through Ticketmaster (or one of their offshoots). If a tout, on the night, wanted £40 for a £35 ticket, I'd much rather he got the profit than Ticketbastard.

That makes no sense on two counts:

1. Booking fees have always been charged. Even if you buy in a local independant place (as I often do) you still get charged the booking fee. Thats always been the case. Ticketmaster aren't doing anything that hasn't been going since long before they existed. The only extra you're paying is the delivery fee.

2. If you line the touts pockets, they've already paid the booking fee anyway so you're still paying it indirectly. Only you're also encouraging the artificial inflation of ticket prices for no good reason.

Printed names on the ticket (so ID required at the gig) at point of purchase with a legitimate cancellation and returns system if you can't make it. Thats the way the system needs to go.
  • ShiftyDundeeShiftyDundee Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Why can't they just add the booking fee etc onto the price of the ticket? It really p!sses me off when a £30 ticket is, in reality, closer to £40. It wouldn't bother me nearly so much if it was just priced at £40 in the first place - I wouldn't realise I was being ripped off so much by Ticketmater then.

I don't agree with touting either.

OP, I've been to a couple of gigs on my own and it was fine but, as others have said, can't you lend him the money?
  • TKDFanTKDFan Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    00tommo wrote: »

I've always been a loner, with few friends, and have been to several gigs on my own. Go, after all you are going to watch the band(s), not yak to other people all night! :D
  • Willie WontieWillie Wontie Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That makes no sense on two counts:

1. Booking fees have always been charged. Even if you buy in a local independant place (as I often do) you still get charged the booking fee. Thats always been the case. Ticketmaster aren't doing anything that hasn't been going since long before they existed. The only extra you're paying is the delivery fee.

2. If you line the touts pockets, they've already paid the booking fee anyway so you're still paying it indirectly. Only you're also encouraging the artificial inflation of ticket prices for no good reason.

Printed names on the ticket (so ID required at the gig) at point of purchase with a legitimate cancellation and returns system if you can't make it. Thats the way the system needs to go.

1. No they haven't. Buy it direct from the box office and there is no booking fee (except at Manchester Apollo). You only pay a booking fee to one of these rip-off service agencies who have bought the tickets in bulk very cheap from the venue, then flog them very expensively (and add on their stupid excess charges to rub salt into the wounds) to us poor punters. If a tout can also buy in bulk direct from booking office, but can sell them to punters cheaper than Ticketmaster, then that can only be beneficial to all. A tout will also try to get rid of any excess tickets at a much, much lower price ten minutes before the show starts - Ticketmaster wouldn't.

2. See answer number 1.

3. Printed ID on ticket - don't be so dim. If I've bought a ticket for my girlfriend, and she falls ill on the day of the show, so I give the ticket to my brother instead, are you saying that he needs to pose as her before he gets let in.
  • 00tommo00tommo Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your replies. Been trying all morning to get through for tickets but the phone lines are constantly blocked so im not going now even if i wanted too!!
    First time ever that i haven't got through.